Low Body Tempature(Update:He's better today)
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    My DS 20 months has had a cold, runny nose, a cough, and just in general sounding stuffy and the cough does sound a bit wet to me.  Tonight he climbed up on me and immediately went to sleep and I noticed he felt kind of clammy so I took his temp.  It is registering as 96.8 on an under the arm thermometer.  Is this something I should be concerned abou?  Could this be a sign of pnemonia?  What should I look for?

Update: He doesn't seem nearly as congested, he hasn't really been coughing much today.  I think maybe the cold worked it's way out last night.  SO I didn't take him to the Drs.  I'll still keep an eye on him, but he really does seem to be doing much better today.
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • Lakegirl34
    I think you are supposed to add 1 degree when it's under the arm. I'm not sure the signs of pneumonia but I do know that body temperature can vary; 98.6 is just an average.
    So it would actually be 97.8?  I guess that is not too bad.  I'm just a little concerned about the clammyness.
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • OUCHOUCH
    Under the arm you add 9/10 of a degree which would take it to 97.7. Normal is 98.6 +/- 1 degree.
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate." - UNK
    "The amazing thing about life is that you choose what you allow into it, you choose how things affect you, you choose how you react. Happiness is a choice. Make it." - UNK
    "Tattoos don't define the person, the person defines the tattoos." - Me
    “The pain now is part of the happiness then” – CS Lewis
    @lakegirl34 and @ouch, thanks for the reassurance.
  • Lakegirl34
    I would definitely keep an eye on him, but it could be a lot of things other than pneumonia. You can always call the pediatrician and see if needs a check too.
  • undercoverbanana
    was he sweating? I am assuming he was a little sweaty, and chilled. Make him some hot lemonade. There is some bad junk going around. Hot water, lemon juice, and honey. And let it cool until he can drink it. And watch chest congestion, and possible laryngitis. Chest congestion is the big thing, with the last two viruses going around.
    i'm nekkid.
  • FoulMouthedSailorFoulMouthedSailor
    For an adult 95f is considered critically low, and with children 95.6f
    You show the lights that stop me turn to stone, You shine it when I'm alone. And so I tell myself that I'll be strong
    And dreaming when they're gone.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Prayers love
    @undercoverbanana, he was that clammy kind of moist.  So yeah.  He is fast asleep now, but I'll keep that in mind.  We are going to probably take him to a walk in clinic tom. if he still has that cough, but I just wanted an idea if I should be calling his doc. tonight and heading to the ER.  I tend to overreact a bit when he gets sick, so I just wanted a bit of perspective, before I went and called the doc. and have them be like, "This lady, again?"
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    My temp frequently runs 96.7 - 97.3 (orally) when I'm healthy and at rest. Also, Do kids just run hotter?
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • 456Imamom
    my little guy (27mths) usually runs about 36 Celsius (i'm not sure what that is in Fahrenheit). I think it just depends on the person. But if he was sweating from the cold/ilness, it might be cooling him down more than he needs. Just watch his temperature and adjust his clothing/blankets so he's not cold or too hot.  >:D<
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    My kids do. DS (13 ) used to stay at 100 all the time ! I tested him a few time s whe I knew he was well to get a base line. Yea I was a worrier and he was the first. Lol never did that with the other two !
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • MorganD
    My body temp runs high. I'm almost always running a low-grade fever. If you're really worried, I'd talk to a doctor, but I don't think that you should have anything to worry about. :) Good thoughts and prayers.
  • undercoverbanana
    if it's the virus that has made the rounds here, twice, it starts with fever, body aches, terrible head congestion, And sinus headache, and goes into the throat, sore throat and not quite laryngitis. And then straight into the chest. And its hard to get rid of once it settles there. As far as his temp, mine runs high, my ds is spot on the mark, and dd runs a little low. Watch him for the next night or so, because little ones have a tendency to spike high late night fevers. But it's the chest congestion you really need to watch out for. the several people around here have ended up with bronchitis, and a couple cases of walking pneumonia.
    i'm nekkid.
  • undercoverbanana
    Hot liquids, baby Tylenol, baby Motrin, and baby decongestants. And lots of love.
    i'm nekkid.
  • undercoverbanana
    And in a couple days, baby expectorants.
    i'm nekkid.
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    Our pediatrician said that under 1 year old, 96.5-100.2 is considered "normal."  So nothing to worry about.  If he's feeling cold, wrap him up and love on him!
    Thanks, ladies.  He seemed much better today.  His congestion seems to be getting better and had good energy.
  • BeautifulDefianceBeautifulDefiance
    I live in michigan. Maybe the climate has something to do with it, but as a medical assistant i take an avetage of 30 temps a day. Average seems to be 97.5 around here. A friend from arizona remarked that temps seem to run lower in colder climates. I dont know accurate that is, but his temp seems fine. Yes you add a degree if its under the arm. As long as he doesnt seem distressed, walk in tomorrow should be fine.
    I prefer not to think before speaking. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

SMSM_s_5

• les_annles_ann
    He may have had a fever you didn't notice earlier sometimes people sweat and feel clammy after they break a fever. I would just watch him closely! Hope he gets better soon!