Pregnancy Brain
  • Lakegirl34
    My husband and I took our son to a Christmas exhibit last weekend. We were in the parking garage and I wanted to find the level with the enclosed pedway so we could stay out of the cold. As I was driving through the garage my husband looked at me, and asked "what's the plan here?". He looked so confused, so I explained about the pedway, and he started laughing at me. I was so focused on looking for it, I was doing circles on the same level of the garage on the first floor. I thought I was working my way through the garage but I was just making right turns. I couldn't stop laughing b/c in my head I was thinking "this is the worst marked garage I've ever been in". So please tell me your worst pregnancy brain moment past or present so I don't feel so dumb!
  • missmama5missmama5
    I told my son 2+2 was 1 recently. Duh. Fail.
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    When I was about 4 months along, I ended up driving the wrong way down a two-way street because I thought it was a one-way street. Even though I know it's two-way there. I've known that for decades! DH was behind me in the rental car we were trying to return; we were supposed to stop by the gas station to gas up before returning the rental, but I forgot about that and ended up sitting at the rental place wondering where the hell DH was. After that I gave up driving until after I had DD. I'm usually a very safe driver and that just wasn't like me. And to be honest, I kind of scared myself.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • Lakegirl34
    @missmama5 Did you play it off as "I was just testing you"? ;)
    @fatchickonabike That would be so scary. I can see why you took a break from driving!
  • GoddessGoddess
    On a for real note, is there a scientific explanation for this? I mean we all KNOW it happens. I'm the doofus that wants to know why! And now that I'm not preg, it's called mommy brain. Just what exactly gives?
    I don't think anyone knows for sure why it happens. Some of it is surely hormones, but I think a big part of it is just your focus is inward, even if you're not aware of it. Your body is going through so many changes and symptoms and at the same time you're grappling with the idea of being pregnant, having a first kid or adding another, wondering if everything's okay, cringing at the idea of labour, etc. Your mind is just elsewhere.
  • missmama5missmama5
    I also think general exhaustion plays into it @fatchickonabike lol I'm so damn tired I can't see straight sometimes.

@lakegirl34 I didn't even realize I did it at first lmao my hubby made fun of me so bad.
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    Goddess said:

On a for real note, is there a scientific explanation for this? I mean we all KNOW it happens. I'm the doofus that wants to know why! And now that I'm not preg, it's called mommy brain. Just what exactly gives?

Thank you @Goddess... I was thinking the same thing. A girl at work keeps having pregnancy brain moments... & I told her that it never actually goes away... it becomes *Mom brain*... but WHY?!
    Once we expel that vaginamelon... shouldn't we expel the *dumb*?
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• Lakegirl34
    @goddess I can't remember if I saw the article on SM or somewhere else that a recent study showed that after delivery there were still traces and changes in the brain of male hormones or DNA (usually my memory is better than that...sigh) but the hypothesis being that our brains really do change after pregnancy. They hadn't studied moms of girls because it would be harder to distinguish the changes.
    And I think as @missmama5 said too, so much exhaustion plays into it during pregnancy b/c the body is overworking sustaining two (or more) lives and post-pregnancy even when we aren't with our kids isn't some part of us always thinking about or doing for them?
  • GoddessGoddess
    @lakegirl34 I think I heard that too! I think it was a thing on the morning news a while back???

Then there's the ongoing sleep deprivation and post-delivery hormonal upheaval. Not to mention any PPD that may arise. By the time all that's overwith, your brain is fucked for good.
  • appalachianmomma
    WIth my first I was asked my home address for some reason or another.  I had lived there for 5+ years at the time.  Totally blanked and took about 30 seconds to be able to give my address.
  • BeachyBeachy
    When I was pg with my first , and second, we had to do some tests bc I was old. Don't remember the names of the tests, bc I am old and a mommy, lol.
    So dh is asking me the name of the dr. I say Paul gausol. He says are you sure? I like of course! His name is gausol ( he plays on the lakers basketball team, I had been watching a laker game prior). I totally believed that the docs name was that. HER name was Irene Johnson. Duh!
    At that appt she asked my my birthday. I said 7/7/79. She said no.... I don't think that's it or you wouldn't be here. I was like what? I know my birthday! My dh said, yeah no, that's not yr bday, then he told her the right yr! Lol! I had many brain farts but those were the best.
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    i have noticed with this baby i am dumber than normal. and i also have trouble pronouncing some words for some reason or even thinking of the word i want to say. i don't remember being this bad with my other kids but this time around i for sure notice a difference.
  • undercoverbanana
    Cut yourself a break. You are growing an entire human being.
    i'm nekkid.
  • Lakegirl34
    @serenitynow I do the same thing with struggling for a word and occasionally am stuttering (and don't typically) trying to get a word out

@fatchickonabike you are so right: we are generally fucked after all this

@beachy and @appalachianmommy thanks for letting me know I'm not alone!

And absolutely @undercoverbanana!
  • missmama5missmama5
    And here I was thinking I've got a secret brain tumor...babies just make you stupid. And mentally retarded. Go figure.
  • BeachyBeachy
    We aren't crazy, pregnancy brain is a real thing!

Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
    Oh, yeah, and babies suck all the omega-3s out of your brain while they're at it, so . . . what was I saying?
  • MegsueMegsue
    Beachy beat me to it. I'd read a study somewhere (I don't remember where, imagine that!) that said our brains can lose up to 8% of its mass while pregnant. I think it was 8% anyway...don't quote me on that. And some other ramblings about short term memory, concentration...ooh Doritos!
  • Lakegirl34
    The article explains a lot and lol @megsue
  • BCImthegrownupBCImthegrownup
    I've had pregnancy brain horribly all three times. My worst one so far this time around happened last week actually. Spent all weekend baking and such for Christmas. Put everything into a box and was driving it over to my parents before work. So, I have a giant box of baked goods, pies cookies and the like sitting on my passengers seat. About half way to my parents house I start wondering where the deliciouse smell of baked goods was coming from...Didn't figure it out until I got to my parents...And then went duuuhhhhhh. Babies eat brains. Simple as that.
  • Lakegirl34
    Babies do eat brains @bcimthegrownup!
  • 456Imamom
    My friends and I call it "Placenta Brain"... the baby and placenta take your brain cells and then you expel them when you deliver..... Not scientifically proven, but man it seems to fit the bill. I'm on baby #2 and I'm DUMB now. I can't seem to hold a conversation or finish a thought, which sucks because I work as an engineer with all guys. Thank goodness I don't do anything safety related in my current job!!!!   :-t
  • Lakegirl34
    Today I stood at my front door and tried to open it with my key fob. Three times. While my next door neighbor watched me and could hear my car locks clicking. It was lightbulb moment- oh ya... Use the house key. Sigh.
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    Lol i'm suffering right now. it's been especially bad this past week!
    Sending my ds into my bedroom for my glasses when they were on top of my purse in front of me.
    Going somewhere w my purse on my shoulder and askind dd wtf my purse was.
    Dd13 talking to me and I can't even follow her conversation.
    I feel so stupid right now.
  • Lakegirl34
    That is a rough week @mommyliciousx4!
  • missmama5missmama5
    Yeah I feel you ladies. Some of the dumbest shit has been coming out of my face lately, it's like a fog has settled over my brain. On one hand though, it makes it really easy to "oh yeah" and "wow" my way through one of ds pointless rambles. I just go to my blank place.
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    @Lakegirl34 I know I've done so much more, but glad I can't remember it all. Lol
    Sounds like you guys are all having your share of fun too.
  • 456Imamom
    Oh you ladies are making me feel not so alone! I'm dumb as shit.... I forget what I'm saying half way through a short sentence..... Even my 2 year old has laughed and called me "silly Mommy' for loosing my though. Ouch!
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    today i fricking searched everywhere for my dang cell phone cuz i was going to the store. searched my car, the house, my purse, outside, my jacket....and holding the missing cell phone in my hand the entire time.
  • skooshkaskooshka
    UM, my son is 8 months old and I still have preggo brain.  The other day, I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce and left it on the stove overnight.  I was so annoyed at myself for it. I almost started crying to my DH...I had a couple tears and he just hugged me.  I was pouting about how dumb I am now.
  • 456Imamom
    Yesterday morning, while getting breakfast made and lunches packed, DH exclaimed (out of no where) "I love you!"....me:  "ok, I love you too?", then he handed me my water glass.... he found it in the fridge. Apparently i poured myself a glass and put it in there... WTF? 
    Then when we were leaving the house he asked me for his lunch bag. I commented I didn't know where it was.... I was holding at the time... *face palm*
    I started mat leave as of yesterday afternoon... I'm glad because I'm too embarrassed at work. I feel so dumb!!!!
  • kittenkitty00
    My daughter is 4 now and i still have this issue. At dentist early appt i was filling out paperwork and i actually forgot how to spell her name. I birthed her named her and couldnt for life in me remember how to spell it.
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    I always give my ds birthday for mine or mine as his... Were only 23 years apart and at peds offices they look at me funny.. why did he have to show up a month early a week before my birthday..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • Lakegirl34
    These really help me know me I'm not alone. It's happening on a daily basis now. This morning I was making a sandwich and got everything out, then put it all away, then went to make my sandwich. It doesn't sound like it's going to get much better.
  • AAA08
    I can't spell for shit right now...even simple words. I need to have this baby.