Pumping Mommy in Vegas!
  • MsAsdy
    So I'm going to Vegas for 5 days, courtesy of my husbands business. I'm not planning on pumping on the way there, however had every intention of pumping WHILE there and bringing it back with me. I've checked TSA regulations, emailed them for verification and am all set to go. HOWEVER...I have no idea how to go about storing the expressed milk until we go home. There are no refridgerators in the rooms and to get one I'd have to have a medical reason and pay $35.00 a day. Any suggestions?
  • LLBLLB
    You have to have a medical reason *and* pay the $$ or is it $35 without a medical reason?

I'm thinking that storing breast milk may be considered a medical reason if that is all you need for it to be free.
  • MsAsdy
    Yes, you have to have a medical reason AND pay the $35 a day.
  • BeachyBeachy
    Would the hotel simply let you use their fridge?
    Or you could always buy a cooler and some dry ice, but idk if a plane would let you bring dry ice aboard.
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    I went to Vegas when my oldest was about 4 or 5 months. I pumped but didn't keep it because I was drunk. I don't have any good suggestions :(
  • MsAsdy
    I don't think dry ice would be allowed. I'm thinking compact cooler that will expand and fill it with ice every day?? That's all I've got. If I have to dump any of it, I'm going to bawl the entire time for sure. I made it to almost a year and that was my goal. I only made it to 8 weeks with my first and although I now have to supplement formula to keep up, I'm still working towards that one year goal.
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    Did you call the hotel? Is it booked by you're husbands work? Could he ask them to get him a fridge?
  • GritsGrits
    MsAsdy said:

I don't think dry ice would be allowed. I'm thinking compact cooler that will expand and fill it with ice every day?? That's all I've got. If I have to dump any of it, I'm going to bawl the entire time for sure. I made it to almost a year and that was my goal. I only made it to 8 weeks with my first and although I now have to supplement formula to keep up, I'm still working towards that one year goal.

Dry ice is actually allowed in small quantities on most airlines. I worked in cargo for US Airways and they allowed up to 7 lbs. Might be worth checking into booking cargo for your airline. It's generally not too expensive.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • beambeam
    Something I don't understand... if you pump (even if you just dump that out or if you find a way or freeze) for the days you are in vegas just continue either breastfeeding or pumping when you get back - like nothing ever happened... no need to stop shy of a year... (I struggled with pumping, hated it, and sometimes a lot, sometimes a little and gave up but continued to breastfeed up to 16 months and my goal was 3!)
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • Marionettevie
    a cooler with dry ice WHILE at the hotel, and then regular ice on the flight back home.
    or you could mail it to yourself with some dry ice.

and i know how much it hurts to dump out good milk.....ive done it......and it SUCKS BIG BALLS! but if you cant figure it out, you might have to to keep your supply.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Like the dry ice idea.
  • kmetz44kmetz44
    You could also just ask the hotel if they would be willing to store it for you in their freezer if you provide like a freezer bag that they cant see through (some numbnuts are still skeeved out by bags of frozen breastmilk) If there was a woman Id ask her first, they tend to be more understanding about the preciousness and sanctity of breastmilk  

If not I would try the dry ice idea.  I did the same thing when I went on vacation but I begged the hotel people to store it in their freezer then I packed the little cooler bag full of ice fro the trip home, I figured that it can sit out at room temperature for about 6 hours then if it started frozen and thawed out youd be good for a flight home since it takes a while to thaw plus then you have the warming to room temp, then you have the time it can stand at room temp

Good luck!
    Im pretty extraordinary in an ordinary way
  • MsAsdy
    A little follow up to this post - totally cleared it and came home with 80 (possibly more) ozs of breastmilk!! The guy checking it over asked if it was all frozen (I did end up splurging a little to get a fridge in the room which the hubs friends were grateful for because they got to put their beer in it) and I said yes, he said have a nice day and that was that!! SUCCESS!!
  • Marionettevie
    yay! and DAMNGIRL! 80 oz is a lot!
  • MsAsdy
    Well, it was five days :D And to top it all off, found out from DH that the accidental lifts in the mini bar (chalk that up to a bunch of inexperienced small towners in a big city not knowing that nothing in the mini fridge can be moved without a re-stocking fee) and the rental of the refrigerator was comped because DH's boss lost 20k the first night there in a high rollers thing. Free storage for boob milk!!! :D

On the heels of this...I did catch the flu and somehow...not sure how this happened...but it knocked me out of commission. So yeah, aside from being able to pump a little over 6 oz's every other day or more...I'd say my run of breast feeding is pretty much done. LO is a little over 11 months so I'm okay with this :)