Knitting for beginners
  • MorganD
    Lately, I find myself in need of something to do. The semester is over, and until January 22nd, I have nothing to do except watch my kids reek havoc on our house. Frankly, I should probably keep my hands busy so I don't strangle them. Without mind food, I get bored fast, which leads to irritability. I've become more and more interested in knitting the more I think about it, and it will be something good to keep me busy for a while, which I will need. I found Knitting for Dummies on Amazon, but can I get some suggestions as to what needles to buy? I want to be sure I get the right ones.
    Who else on here knits? Is it something you enjoy or just something to keep you busy?
  • KrabbyKay

KNITTING!!!! I knit! I'm not terribly good at it. A lady at work that is just a MASTER knitter helps me, gives me yarn and needles and pointers and things, and patterns. I really enjoy it, it's very soothing, almost like meditation. And you make useful things!

According to knit master work lady, you will need different needles/sizes for different things. I have yet to use/figure out circular needles, but I have made a ton of hats in the "flat" with straight needles. And scarves.

• sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    I crochet, but my sister is a knitter.

I can ask her tonight (she is at a party today) and get back to you though!
    Mary :-)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • MorganD
    @KrabbyKay I don't know how good I'll be either, but I need something to keep myself busy or I'll lose my marbles...the rest of them. The broken, chipped ones. :)

@sidsmommy3 Thank you!!! I've never crocheted, I don't know much about it, really.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    I would say pick a small project, buy the yarn and needles to fit the project. Also, don't start with a fancy yarn. 

Disclaimer: I crochet, but I've never been happy with my knitting. I always quit knitting and go back to crochet. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • KrabbyKay
    @MorganD well, DH really likes my hats...
  • MorganD
    @Gingersnap Wait..."fancy" yarn? There is "fancy" yarn? :-/
  • MorganD
    @KrabbyKay I wonder if SO would even wear a hat I made...lol
  • KrabbyKay
    DH has little-to-no hair, he calls his hats, his "hair". A grandma lady stopped him in the parking lot of some store and asked him "young man who made that hat for you?", she was all impressed anyone even *MADE* hats anymore! I was proud, it was one of my first efforts.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @MorganD - yup. There's all kind of different yarns. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • MorganD
    @KrabbyKay Aw, yay. :) My SO is balding, so who knows? He might wear it if I pout.
  • MorganD
    @Gingersnap Hm...interesting. I thought yarn was just yarn.
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    OH no....there are so many different kinds.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I dont knit or anything but yea there are lots of kinds of yarn out there !! I have no clue how to do anything ! Lol. I am in a painting mood ! I want to paint EVERYTHING !! Lol
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Probably US size 6 or 7 are a good size to start with, not too big, not too small.  This really depends on what you are making, the size of the yarn, and most importantly, what the pattern says and the gauge the pattern gives.

But if you're just practicing, I like 7 with a 4 ply worsted weight yarn.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    KrabbyKay said:

KNITTING!!!! I knit! I'm not terribly good at it. A lady at work that is just a MASTER knitter helps me, gives me yarn and needles and pointers and things, and patterns. I really enjoy it, it's very soothing, almost like meditation. And you make useful things!

According to knit master work lady, you will need different needles/sizes for different things. I have yet to use/figure out circular needles, but I have made a ton of hats in the "flat" with straight needles. And scarves.

Circular needles are great for bigger flat projects, you would use them just like regular knitting needles but if you want to measure or whatever, you can easily lay the piece flat.  They are also much easier for travel than straight needles.  But their intended use is for knitting cylindrical things, and it that case, you just keep on knitting rather than flip at the end of a row.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MorganD
    @BellaBefana Thank you! I want to start with something easy...any suggestions?
  • KrabbyKay
    @BellaBefana *tips head* what??? But...don't you need markers or something?? huh. I need smaller circular needles, but I should just try it and see.
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    You should crochet instead.  It's harder to learn than knitting, but it's more versatile.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @MorganD:  scarves are probably going to be the most straight forward, wait until you get the book and see what patterns they have in there.  If you have girls, sorry don't remember, small doll blankets would be easy.

@KrabbyKay:  no, not necessarily.  You can use one marker at each end so you don't accidentally attach them and make a circle or to make counting easier (I use markers every 10-20 stitches sometimes just for counting purposes) but a small piece of different colored yarn at the ends will do the same thing.  Markers are mainly used when you have a distinct pattern going on or when you start shaping and are adding/dropping stitches.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MorganD
    @RuralRebellion No matter what I do, I'll probably end up doing the same thing over and over. When I learned to sew, I made a zillion pillows and 5 pairs of pjs. :) Crochet, knitting...I'll end up going crazy.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    You can google "easy knitting patterns" and get TONS of free stuff online.

@RuralRebellion:  it's interesting you think crochet is harder to learn than knitting, I never found that at all, and when you really get into knitting, there's just so much more you can do with cables and knitted lace, etc.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MorganD
    @BellaBefana I got the book on my Kindle, so that's already here.lol And all boys, but my sister and my brothers all have girls that I can knit for!!
  • MorganD
    @BellaBefana Knitted lace? I'm a lace freak...I can *knit* with it, possibly???
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    You can "make" knitted lace - it is gorgeous!

• KrabbyKay
    You *make* lace by knitting. Not like for your panties, but.....Oh hey hahaha look at us all posting at the same time!
  • MorganD
    @BellaBefana @sidsmommy3 @KrabbyKay WOW....I feel like one of those kids at the candy store. My eyes got big looking at all the knitted lace. :x I want to learn even more now!!!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    knitted lace is not for the faint of heart though!  It can be tedious because you're not only working with very fine yarn/threads, but you have to follow a chart.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MorganD
    @BellaBefana I love lace, so I still want to learn, even if I get bored with it. While I was looking, I was thinking that it must get frustrating...it looks like it would take alot of time.
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    My grandma used to make it all of the time...these gorgeous knit lace colors for us - will try to see if I can find them.

My sister can do it as well - truly beautiful stuff.

I crochet...do needlepoint.....embroidery....

• MorganD
    @sidsmommy3 I like needlepoint, but I ALWAYS stab myself. Thimble or not, I always end up bleeding profusely. *sigh*
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    @MorganD - I cannot use a thimble to save my life.  I need all fingers free - LOL

• MorganD
    @sidsmommy3 Honestly, I always manage to get the needle INTO the stupid thimble holes. Wth? I thought it was meant to prevent that! And the stupid rubber thimbles just suck. My grandmother was a needlepoint kind of lady...and she was the devil. The needle probably just melted upon contact with her skin.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    You using blunt needles to needlepoint?  I don't like using a thimble either, but there are these little plastic things that I found a while back that work better for me than thimbles.  

My favorites are smocking and embroidery, but if you can do it with a needle and thread, I do it or have tried it.  Though since I got pregnant, my carpal tunnel is really bad, so I can't work for more than 15-20 minutes at a stretch.

The other thing I like for thimbles, believe it or not, are finger picks for guitars...these:
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    And since you brought it up, that's another thing I'm going to have to do this week:  get my needlework together to take to my mother's.  If I don't I'll get there and go freaking crazy with wanting to do something!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MorganD
    @BellaBefana I'm the same way. I have to have something to do at family member's houses. Maybe I can get some needles and yarn before Saturday...That's when our family Christmas is taking place. Luckily, my SO will be there. Him and me against the hoard.
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    @BellaBefana stitches are one thing, I mean the finished products you can make with crochet as opposed to knitting.  Like Amigurumi (stuffed animals).  There aren't many knit patterns, but there are soooo many crochet patterns.  And I've never tried knitting, that was just what I heard from other crocheters.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    I can knit stitch i cant purl...
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • missmama5missmama5
    I knit a little lol I started a blanket for Avery and it's been sitting... By the time evening rolls around and I have time to do it, I just want to veg and sleep. Damn pregnancy. I do enjoy it though when I have the energy to keep my eyes open. I'm not the greatest at it, I keep dropping stitches, but my mom is a pro. Avery has a sweater set for every occasion already lol.
  • MorganD
    @missmama5 Aw, yay!! She'll be warm. :)
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    I taught myself to crochet using YouTube videos
  • BunnyBunny
    I cross stitch! It's addicting and it keeps my hands busy and for me it relieves stress. there are some pretty cheap small kits on Joann's and places.
    Crazy? I was crazy once...they locked me in a room with no windows. That drove me nuts. Nuts! Squirrels eat nuts. They drive me crazy. Crazy! I was crazy once..
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    The knitting shop people are usually great about IRL help too
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MorganD
    Thanks, @BellaBefana. :)
  • TheHeadacheslayer
    @morganD I love knitting! But I'm an extreme novice....I do wicked scarves but extremely simple stitches ;) Oh and I make little purses too, out of "torn fabric string" which look really cool.

I had been learning to knit from my MIL--I had always wanted to learn but there never seemed to be time. But when she was dealing with cancer, we started. Sadly, she passed away before I got to more difficult things like socks or gloves. And I couldn't knit for a long while.

I find it soooooo relaxing! 

I need to get back into that and cross-stitch. I also love making those felt Bucilla kits (stockings, decorations). Everyone here has their own stocking that I made--except me lol. Oh well, next year!

There are so many free tutorials online and I find videos help far more than a book (though I have some good basic books as well).

Enjoy :) I hope you find it rewarding!!

THIS is my goal:

It's called Lizard Ridge, using (really expensive omg!!) Kureyon yarn, pattern by Knitty. I am head over heels in LOVE with everyone--and who doesn't love a challenge ;)
  • MorganD
    @TheHeadacheSlayer Wow, that looks complicated!! And very pretty. :) I really just want something to keep me busy besides the internet during Winter Break. :)
  • LoveLove
    Someone please explain the difference between knitting and crocheting!
    I feel stupid LOL but I thought it was just that the knitting needles were sharp, and the crocheting needles had hooks at the end. (Basically like training wheels, until you work your way up to knitting!)

I thought I was going to learn to crochet at one time, but my book sucked as far as practical instructions. I may give YouTube a shot!

eta @MorganD, I was probably editing it at the time!

community-manager

• MorganD
    @Love Ah, nevermind!! I see it now.
  • MorganD
    @Love lol Makes sense. :)
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Someone please explain the difference between knitting and crocheting!
    I feel stupid LOL but I thought it was just that the knitting needles were sharp, and the crocheting needles had hooks at the end. (Basically like training wheels, until you work your way up to knitting!)

I thought I was going to learn to crochet at one time, but my book sucked as far as practical instructions. I may give YouTube a shot!

eta @MorganD, I was probably editing it at the time!

basically, knitting is done with two straight needles, crochet is done with a hook.

here's some pics:

Bite me, cupcake!