A dissolving condom -- would you use it?
  • iritnusiritnus
    Researchers at the University of Washington are close to
    developing a new condom that would not only block sperm,
    sexually transmitted diseases, and unwanted pregnancies, but

would do so by releasing a potent cocktail of preventative,
    anti-HIV drugs and hormonal contraceptives after use. This
    so-called "hypercondom" would also dissolve inside the body.
    (For this reason, it is also believed to be eco-friendly).

Ultimately, the material would be made up of fibers from
    medicine woven into ultra-thin, stretch fabric webs.

What do you all think of this? Is the eco-friendliness of condoms really an issue that needs
    addressing? I would venture to say people throw away more water bottles
    than condoms.
    My scrapbooking blog: www.scrappingisheartwork.com
    My food blog: www.good-press.blogspot.com
  • LoveLove
    Ummmm I hate to ask, but if it dissolves, then what prevents it from releasing the sperm and STD germs as it does it's disappearing act?

How long would it take to dissolve? And wouldn't you want to retrieve it from inside your body before the time it would take to dissolve? And if it's a fast-dissolve, see question number 1 !!

community-manager

• MorganD
    ^^^^This. @Love asked my exact question.
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    yeah @love, those were my thoughts exactly.  I don't get it.
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • Marionettevie
    i dont think i would! a mixture of highly potent meds and a giant cumshot leaking out of you..... eeeeewwww....  and what would the side effects of all these meds be? and what is the failure rate? and who would be willing to be the guinea pigs for the 'prototype" of this?
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I'm willing to bet almost any guy would volunteer @marionettevie. Lol.

But Um...not me
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • Marionettevie
    exactly. and would they test guys that are infected with HIV? and girls who dont have it? i dont get it? i for sure would NOT volunteer. because if the girl is infected with HIV, would the guy have protection as well? hes not the one with it inside of him dissolving.. so i dont see how he would be protected.
  • pennypenny
    Definitely not. I'm not in the habit of dosing myself with medications I don't need. And what happens if it fails and a pregnancy ensues with that kind of medication exposure?
  • undercoverbanana
    Fuck, no, I wouldn't use a dissolving condom! That's how I had my kids!!!! Stupid cheap things. ....not that I dont appreciate my kids......
    i'm nekkid.
  • CrashCrash
    Ew can you imagine the gloop that would come out?
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    that's the one nice things about condoms...no muss, no fuss.  Nah, I wouldn't brave a dissolving one.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • Mama07Of10Three11Mama07Of10Three11

I don't think this condom would be for me. If it is releasing a potent cocktail of preventative,
    anti-HIV drugs and hormonal contraceptives after use what are the side effects of all these? What about if you use it several times a day?  I have a enough to worry about half the time that I don't need to worry about whether or not the condom has dissolved.

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence."-Helen Keller
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    Umm no... cvf was disolvable enough for me..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

Something doesn't add up to me. So is the main point of this to prevent std's because if someone wanted to have a hormone contraceptive injected, couldn't they just take birth control and have the same results without the use of a condom? It doesn't sound like this disolvable condom would be worth it, especially for married couples who don't have to worry about std's.

• fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    Okay, so the guy finishes, and then what? He slips it off and pokes it into the woman? Huh? None of this computes.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • FLUFFY
    No. Just... no.
  • LLBLLB
    Uh no!

What happens if the "session" lasts too long? Does the condom start dissolving in the middle?

Why would you want to walk around with a dissolving condom and all the mans goo leaking out of you?

Imagine the massive amount of chemicals that must be in those things!

The whole thing seems like a recipe for disaster!

What is so difficult about removing the condom when you are finished and throwing it away! Seems like an easier and much cleaner solution than this!
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    I am soooooo glad I am old and need not worry . All this new makes my head hurt .
  • BassmomBassmom
    Hell no that just sounds gross!
  • ragingredhead
    there is no way in hell i would use that.
  • WillileeWillilee
    Jesus. Ugh. And creepy.

That's my alma mater, y'all! Big brains!
  • GoddessGoddess
    Ummm... Like... Uuuhhh... If someone were offering....

At this point I think I'd be all...
    \m/

:-\" :-??
  • 2legit2legit
    If I wanted to have a whole bunch of hormones in my body to prevent pregnancy, I would take birth control. What are the long term effects of this? I do not see this product in my future, lol. 
  • FreeToBeMee
    Um.. anti HIV meds ?? Hell no. Those things are horrible. 
  • undercoverbanana
    i think we need a "yuck" button, too. along with "like", "hug", "cheers", and "lol".
    i'm nekkid.
  • FreeToBeMee
    Just seems like a yeast infection with a side of TSS waiting to happen. And i just cannot believe there wouldn't be an odor.

Ok, Im gonna go throw up a little in my mouth and make an offering to the violet goddess in thanks that I dont have to think about this stuff.
    :-&