What do you do in your spare time?
  • Tranquil
    Not that I have much of it, but I like to workout, read and cook when I can.
    I also want to take regular yoga classes and get back into art (freehand) if I can swing it. What are some of the things you love to do non-mom related in your 'spare' time?
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    I crochet!  Since I started working PT though I don't seem to get at it as much as I'd like, and I gotta finish up this blanket for DD's new big girl bed!

I also dabble in photography, but it's been mostly around the house lately, and usually involving DD.  I also end up using my iPhone most of the time, but I busted out my nice camera for the Xmas tree.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • MistressHeidiMistressHeidi
    Free time? Hmmm. What is Free time? Oh right, its that stuff I had before I had kids and a job.

When I do manage to get free time, I love to read and will read just about anything. I also love to go hiking in the woods and enjoy the quiet.

I wish I was artistic and could paint or take pictures or something. It looks so relaxing and fun!
  • KacerpieKacerpie
    I cook in my free time... And bake. Kinda fits into the mom thing pretty well too, so it seems like I always get a break...

I like grocery shopping too... I liked that before I had kids, and now it is positively a life saver!
    "Please don't talk mom... It makes my brain work..."
  • Tranquil
    @misstressheido707 lol ya not much 'free' time but when DS goes to bed I get 1-2 hours. I work all day so I really need those few hours to recharge.
    I would love to go hiking again! It's so peaceful and relaxing.
  • MorganD
    I love to read!! And, really, I love just spending time with my SO. Talking to him, cooking with him, or just laying in bed with him before the kids wake up. I like to walk, though I don't get to do it much. And, of course, spending time on SM.
  • missmama5missmama5
    I love to bake, read and exercise but haven't been doing much of the last since I've been pregnant lol as in none. Bed rest will do that to you. I also knit but I've been slacking in preparation for the holidays. Now I just bake lol I'm in overdrive for the next 16 days.
  • kittykisses80kittykisses80
    What's that?? Lol idk...i can't think..it's so hard..hmm
  • squishsquish
    I read. However, I'm currently lacking material so right now, I'm watching tv. I love watching shows about handling finances. If I could, and this sounds weird, I would love to be an accountant, just pt though.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @RuralRebellion - I crochet, too. It relaxes me.

I like baking, cooking, listening to podcasts and philanthropy. I like to dabble in other stuff, too, but those are mainstays.

I'm always reading something, but not books as much lately.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    @Gingersnap yet another reason to like you.  Hookers unite!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Does Scary Mom count !!
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • MorganD
    @squish Robin McKinley. She's an epic author.
  • MistressHeidiMistressHeidi
    @Tranquil Oh yeah, you got to take the free time for yourself when you can get it, when the kids are in bed, when their at school, or in my case, early in the morning before work, I drink coffee and lurk on SM for about half an hour before the kids are up demanding to know where their make up is or the hair dryer or whatever. I think I would go insane if I didn't get that half hour to myself most mornings.
  • squishsquish
    @morgand I will check her out. Thanks.
  • MorganD
    @squish Always happy to send people her way!
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    I read crochet and mess around online.. i can go online all the time though so thats more of an issue than a hobby...
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • Dragonbabyx3Dragonbabyx3
    Does spending time on Scary Mommy count? how about browsing pinterest?  Other than that, I read, write, think of ways to get back at my SO, take care of the animals, and try to find something to do...  ermmm yeah. thats about it...
  • GisleyandHank

I love to cook and bake. I spend about 90% of my waking hours in the kitchen.

I used to read but I never have any quiet time anymore. Ever since having DS I crash as soon as they're down for the night. I also used to paint.

I write, also. The only reason I have time to do that is because I can do it at work and look like I'm working ;)

• Tranquil

@GisleyandHank I also write at work lol.  I've gotten some good poems and short stories written as no one is the wiser when I have my document opened.

And yes @Dragonbabyx3 spending time on Scary Mommy definetley counts!

• Tranquil
    @MorganD I'm going to check out Robin McKinley too. I looked on line and her book "Pegasus" intrigued me.  Thanks!
  • GritsGrits
    All my free time is spent baking right now. Since we're p-o-o-r this year, I'm making chewy cheesecake cookies and peanut butter fudge for everyone I wish I could buy for. And it's so hard to stay out of it!!
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
    Mmm @grits those cheesecake cookies sound yummy. Do share a recipe? Please. :-)
  • Tranquil
    @grits OMG those cheesecake cookies do sound delish - do you have a recipe?
  • MorganD
    @Tranquil An EPIC book. I own it. :) Try "Beauty" too. It's a long-time favorite comfort read.
  • Tranquil
    @MorganD  I'll check them both out!
  • GritsGrits
    @Tranquil and @kittykisses80 here you go!!

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 c. butter, softened
    1 c. flour
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375. Mix all ingredients well (make sure that butter and cream cheese are very soft) and drop on to cookie sheet (parchment paper works best). Bake 12-13 minutes or until edges have browned. Remove to cooling rack until completely cooled.

They are amazing!! This recipe only makes about a dozen cookies. And it does NOT double, so you have to do it one batch at a time. They can be a little tricky at times, but the one thing I will suggest is to make sure that your oven temp is spot on or it won't work. Enjoy!!
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
    Ty. Sounds yummy!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    I like to read, do crafty things or play on the internet :) Once DS2 goes to bed, I'm pretty much useless around the house most nights, so then I just lay in bed or on the couch and read or play on my Kindle.
  • FreeToBeMee
    I watch really bad TV, listen to podcasts or music, Tweet WAY too much, drink bourbon lol. Spoil my dog. Study spanish. Plan my great escape from America.
  • momoffiveteensmomoffiveteens
    OMG what in the world is spare time, With 4 teenagers in the house and a 3 yr. old there is no spare time. I am generally able to post on here while doing homework or reading to my granddaughter. I would love to sleep in or just relax and read a book.  
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Spare time, what's that?  What I used to love is sewing, but I don't have any place to set up my sewing machine, but I love heirloom sewing (smocking, embroidery, etc), quilting, almost any kind of needle work you can think of, I do (or used to) and love.  

Photography is another love, and maybe when dd gets a little older, I can take it up again, but I like film not digital (I still have a roll of Kodachrome).  

Golf.  I'm terrible, but I do love to go to the driving range.

About all I get to do now is read, because by the time dd goes to bed, I'm too damn tired to do anything else.  I've been trying to watch Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for weeks and manage to get through about 15-30 minutes before I'm rewinding and rewinding because I missed something!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • KrabbyKay
    I read, and knit (not at the same time, I'm not that good of a knitter!). I swim, I work with the doglets. I used to looooooove to go for a ride. I MISS MY HORSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HestiaHestia
    I clean without anybody in my way or I hide in my studio and paint....though since my studio is located next to the rec room I'm liable to be interrupted by my son at any given time.
  • TruthandjusticeTruthandjustice
    I was thinking about this just yesterday....about hobbies and what to do during free time. 

I've been out of work for four months due to illness. Before then, I was a total type-A person...on the go, working, etc. most of the time with very little free time. Now that I've had hours and days stretch out before me with little scheduled to do, I do a bit of treadmill-ing, lots of reading, baking, cooking, writing, watching silly TV, and messing around online (with the latter taking up a decent amount of time!). 
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    I cook, read, workout, clean (I actually LIKE to clean if I have uninterrupted time).  I used to kayak, write poetry, go to the actual gym as opposed to my basement treadmill.  I collect and read recipe books but never use them to cook with (I just take ideas from them), I used to travel a ton, I *can* knit but scarfs have been my only successes, and a baby blanket for J, I used to practice yoga a lot, it's just not the same at home I much prefer a studio.
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • Tranquil

@BellaBefana I've tried to get through that movie as well, could NOT get through it.

sigh... @tothemoonandback I used to travel a lot too.  Miss it dearly!

• ruseriouschild
    I was just talking to DH yesterday about this. I have no hobby or "thing" i really like to do that isn't seasonal. I really need to work on time for me besides making time for curling my hair or putting on makeup few days. I think most of all i would like to work out on my elliptical but it is buried in the garage. There is zero room in the house for it. If i could i would take out our coffee table & put it there lol I think i have ditched most all the fun stuff i use to love because of the pestering & interruption. 
  • peytonsmama

Free time? Hmmm. What is Free time? Oh right, its that stuff I had before I had kids and a job.

^^^

This is EXACTLY what I was gonna say!

• MarySunshineMarySunshine
    I like to bake, read, crochet, do other crafty stuff and I spend an inordinate amount of time on here. :-D
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...