Popular food in the 80's
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

So my cousins 30th birthday is coming up and I had the idea to get together a basket of popular food we had growing up! I have started a list, but I wanted to see what other things you ladies could add! Some things on my list may not be available in stores, so I will need alternatives! SO come on, add your favorite foods from the 80's!!! Here is what I have so far:

warheads

blow pops

fun dip

fruit stripe gum

little hug drinks

mondos

fruit roll-ups

nerds

cool ranch doritos

funyuns

mt dew

clearly canadian

pop rocks candy buttons bazooka gum

candy necklace

(yes, most everything I came up with was candy...I LOVED it! Still do actually! :) )

• MegsueMegsue
    http://mobile.seriouseats.com/2008/10/top-ten-uniquely-80s-foods-snacks-drinks.html

See of you can find a cookbook from the 80s too...that's what I was searching for when I found this...when I find something, I'll be back (said in my best Arnold/Terminator voice)
  • KacerpieKacerpie
    Food from the 80's.... I dunno... All I can think of is candy too. Sugar Daddies & Sugar Babies!
    "Please don't talk mom... It makes my brain work..."
  • MegsueMegsue
    http://m.epicurious.com/recipes/menu/views/50years_80s

Some "real" food. Don't forget the Bartles & Jaymes wine coolers or a cheap bottle of White Zinfandel. Or even better, Boons Farm Strawberry Hill ;)
  • MegsueMegsue
    cooks.com is a treasure trove of ideas. There's 1,080 "80s appetizers" alone!

Can I come? I'm having waaaaayyyyy too much fun looking through all of this stuff!
  • KacerpieKacerpie
    Ohhh.... @megsue... Fuzzy Navel was yummy!
    "Please don't talk mom... It makes my brain work..."
  • Lees

Canned fruit halves with cottage cheese in the middle of each half. I have no idea why, but my mother made those for EVERY get-together. They're not that good, but surprisingly not nearly as disgusting as they sound. I don't think I would actually serve them.

• Dragonbabyx3Dragonbabyx3
    Wax candy!!!! The little wax bottles with the juice inside of them! I know they sell them at the dollar store!
  • DemandaDemanda
    Garbage Pail Kids!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    Tops trading card gum....
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Megsue said:

http://m.epicurious.com/recipes/menu/views/50years_80s

Some "real" food. Don't forget the Bartles & Jaymes wine coolers or a cheap bottle of White Zinfandel. Or even better, Boons Farm Strawberry Hill ;)

Wrong decade for the Boone's Farm!!!  

Pinot Noir Blanc was popular in the 80's and fru fru shit like banana dacqueris...let's see...those were my party years, so its no wonder I only remember the booze...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MegsueMegsue
    I can remember my Aunt getting hammered on boons farm when she was like 12 :-$ which was 1987/88?...I don't know why I remember it so vividly...oh wait, it might have had something to do with her puking all over me ;) Then when my turn came around to get drunk for the first time (with the same Aunt, fast forward to 1995-ish) she warned me to never drink the stuff. So she gave me Budweiser instead :-&
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    Mambas.......I see those damned things in the store all the time.....use to spend my entire weeks worth of lunch money on Mambas and sour dough snacks.....
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    and gummie shit....bears, cokes, worms......really surprised I'm not diabetic in my advanced years now.....I ate nothing but shit in middle school!!!!!
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    Great ideas!!! Keep 'em coming!! @Megsue come on!! Party is next Saturday. :) @sweddyballs I love mambas!! @kacerpie I was a sugar junkie. I loved all candy! Oh well, hopefully he like candy and cheap wine. Haha!
  • irishlassirishlass
    None of these words make any sense to me... But my sisters are turning 30 soon too and they are having an 80s themed party!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • mommydeliriousmommydelirious
    Was that the decade where it was cool to make Jello in a bundt pan with random fruit inside it and put the whole thing out on a plate like a mini Blob attack??
    Photobucket
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    Jumpin Jack Doritos? They had to be late 80's at least. I loved them when I was little.
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    @irishlass you are missing out on some good stuff! ;) do we need to get a goodies box sent to you?!
  • KrabbyKay
    Pizza with ranch dressing.
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    Ellio's pizza?
  • Crystal clear pepsi
  • Furball1980Furball1980
    Anyone remember thumb suckers? The ones with the mold and the bubble gum at the bottom..... Little Ceasers pizza crazy bread came out about that time too.... :)
  • theprincessmommytheprincessmommy
    You have to buy the throwback sodas with the real sugar because that would be more accurate to the 80's. You could make krispie treats out of popular cereals from the 80s like fruity pebbles, cocoa pebbles, or capn crunch.

edit* damnit now I want fruity pebbles.
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    Spam?
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

@theprincessmommy I love all the sugar cereals!!! Always have, always will. DH thinks I need to stop. Tough. And have you ever had capn crunch french toast??? So good!!! We used the crunch rries and had "berries" on top of ours! lol http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2012/07/capn-crunch-french-toast.html

And as much as Spam grosses me out, that would be hilarious!!

• Tranquil
    All I can think of is deviled eggs, and sausage rolls...not sure if those were earlier decades though
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    Slow pokes, burple, fun fruits fruit snacks, zotz, when little ceasers was always 2 pizzas and had the little toga guy (pizza,pizza!)
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

Didn't Little Caesers also come wrapped in a paper wrapping?? I remember that from sports banquets, I think. lol And I remember zotz!!!

• SaraMommySaraMommy
    I just thought of another thing. Freshen Up gum!!! I loved that stuff!!
  • beachmommybeachmommy
    Combo's pretzels.
    My beach is still Sandy....
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    Jolly Good soda and Wildwood soda, dunk-a-roos, styrafoam containers at mcdonalds
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    Funny, most of what I remember from the eighties is candy, too.  Probably because we were all kids then.  Zots and Jolt Cola are the two that I don't see on your list. 

I also remember Ken's Pizza (which doesn't exist anymore, and only probably ever existed around the Tulsa area anyway). 

Someone mentioned Garbage Pail Kids, and I know they did a new run of them recently, so maybe you can get your hands on some packs of those.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/10/top-ten-uniquely-80s-foods-snacks-drinks.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2008/06/what-foods-are-uniquely-80s.html
  • theprincessmommytheprincessmommy
    Yeah that is hilarious that we are all listing junkfood because we were children and teenagers in the 80s for the most part... I used to spend my entire allowance on junkfood at 7-11 because my mom wouldn't let me eat it on her dime, sugar cereals either just cheerios so I would buy my own junk cereals.
  • escapedmom

This is the list of candy that comes in the 80's gift basket they sell on Amazon:

• Appleheads
    • Atomic Fireballs
    • Big League Chew
    • Bubble Gum Cigarettes
    • Charleston Chew Chocolate
    • Chiclets Tiny Size Gum
    • Goetze Cow Tales
    • Hubba Bubba Bubble Tape
    • Lemonheads
    • Lik-m-Aid Fun Dip
    • Mason Dots
    • Nintendo Power Mints
    • Pop Rocks Strawberry
    • Pop Rocks Watermelon
    • Ring Pop
    • Sixlets
    • Smarties
    • Smarties Candy Necklace
    • Warheads
    • Whatchamacallit Bar
    • Wonka Bottlecaps
    • Nerds Strawberry & Grape
    • Wonka Pixy Stix
    • Zero Bar
    • Zotz Sour Fizz Candy
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie

Jumpin Jack Doritos? They had to be late 80's at least. I loved them when I was little.

Omg! I used to get off the bus, run in the store & buy the shit out of those. I LOVED those.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie

I guess they were 1990
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• SaraMommySaraMommy

@LiquidPeppermint I am hoping to find some Garbage Pail Kids cards too!!! I'm going to check Walmart and Target and hopefully one of them have some!

@theprincessmommy I used to spend my allowance on candy and junk too!!! We lived within walking distance to Walgreen so I loved it!!!! :)

@escapedmom Good list!!! I feel very accomplished to have tried most of that candy. LOL

• LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    @saramommy you can buy Garbage Pail Kids at amazon.com!  They had them at WalMart a couple of years ago, but I haven't looked lately. 

I just checked.  You can get them Site-to-Store at Walmart.

We had a convenience store a few blocks from our house growing up, and we used to walk there every day in Summer, barefoot, and buy junk food and sodas!  I would NEVER let my daughter walk a mile, across an overpass to a MAJOR highway, to a shady convenience store now!  Simpler times.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    Thank you @LiquidPeppermint I am going to check out those sites now and see if I can get them fast enough!!!
  • PleaseSendPants

Zima and Shit on a Shingle

Capri Sun and "Burple" drinks

Giggles Cookies

Hi-C Ecto Cooler!!

Chocolate Soda

• meandmy243meandmy243
    Tops trading card gum....
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    What were those single serve Kool-Aid plastic bottles with the twist off tops? Kool-Aid burst?? Anyway, our camping trip coolers always had those alongside the crystal clear Pepsi. Also, Spaghettios were the shit! Whatchamacallit candy bars came out in like 1988 or 1989, I think. Still one if my faves! Anyone else do the peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich on wonderbread?
  • RosamundiRosamundi
    Oh man! I forgot about Totinos Pizza Rolls and Bagel Bites!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    @Rosamundi I love whatchamacallits!!!! And we usually drank more Mondo's than Kool-Aid bursts! But our favorite drink were the little Hug drinks with the foil cap you peel off! :) And I still LOVE pizza rolls!!!