weird christmas stories/traditions
  • irishlassirishlass
    My dad used to tell me that santa was jesus' grandad.
    We weren't religious, it was funny!

Every christmas eve my dad used to read us a couple of particular stories then drive us up to a really high place called craigantlet, and we would look at the city lights and see if we could see santa. It was the only time we were allowed to leave the house in jammies!

I have continued this tradition with my own son, and my dad is coming this year to do it too :)

What are your odd christmas stories or traditions?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • undercoverbanana
    Christmas dinner, the table is covered in brown butcher block paper, and all the fancy schmancy setting are drawn on with sharpies. Plenty of graffiti and cartoons, and smart ass stuff. We take pics of the beautiful dinner,the funniest drawings, and then the destruction afterwards. And now i am not allowed to do nice table setting because everybody loves the graffiti.
    i'm nekkid.
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    Several years ago, when Austin Powers:The Spy Who Shagged Me first came out, my sister worked in a movie theater.  They had a stand-up of Mini Me.  She got it after the movie went away, and she gave it to our uncle for Christmas.

The next year, there was a big present for me under the tree.  From my uncle.  It was Mini Me.  So the next year, guess what my brother got?  Yep.  Mini Me. 

This has been going on for more than ten years now.  I'm terrified, because I'm SOOO due to get Mini Me this year.  LOL.

Actually, it was going on long before Mini Me.  When my dad got a classic Mustang, when I was a kid, his brother gave him some green fuzzy dice to put around the mirror.  HE HATED THOSE FUZZY DICE!  So the next year another brother got them.  The year after that, I was sixteen, and I got them.  So it became tradition that whenever someone turned 16, they got the cursed ugly-ass things. 

Last I heard, one of my cousins had gotten them, but that was about eight years ago.  They weren't so fuzzy anymore. 
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    Oh lordy. On my dad's side there are several gag gifts that get re-gifted every year. A new one gets started every couple of years too....it's fun! Sometimes they are dirty gifts only for the "brothers" to see. Sometimes one of the nieces or nephews get thrown in on the fun. The one that went around for many years was "the pickled baby"...it was a small baby doll in a pickle jar with colored water. lol weird, but it keeps the holidays "exciting" to say the least! One year my grandma even got a pair of thongs! LOL I love my family!
  • Live4PeaceLive4Peace
    Well my inlaws do some negative ones.  They like to scare the shit out of their kids to behave, so they carry on the Black Pete story who basically is some evil guy who helps Santa checkup on the kids to see if they've been naughty.  They will run in and tell the kids they just saw him and have one of the guys stomp on the roof.  I had my first toddler over when they happen to be doing this and it scared the shit out of him.  I was furious that they would instill FEAR into these little children.  Sure I can threaten my kids won't get presents if they misbehave, but to see the look of intense fear on these shaking kids as they assume some evil man is stomping around (and knowing they have been bad- since what kid isn't)... wtf!?
    yeah  had to tell DH that this tradition stops with us.  I get to fuck up my kids childhood my own way.  It's bad enough that we lie about Santa...no wonder we don't trust anyone when we grow up!
    I'm always misunderstood because the written word is the worst form of communication...you can't see me smiling =-)
  • LilbitLilbit

Christmas dinner, the table is covered in brown butcher block paper, and all the fancy schmancy setting are drawn on with sharpies. Plenty of graffiti and cartoons, and smart ass stuff. We take pics of the beautiful dinner,the funniest drawings, and then the destruction afterwards. And now i am not allowed to do nice table setting because everybody loves the graffiti.

That is so awesome!
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    This year, SIL is working at Tim Hortons. DH plans on giving her a Timmy's gift card. This could go either way. I'll keep you all posted.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • WebosMama
    Not mine, but in high school a friend's family would save the "weird' boxes throughout the year - like band-aids, enemas, rectal thermometer's, you get the idea. Then they would put gifts in these boxes and wrap them. So you open a gift and it is an emena box with gloves in it. They were quite competitive with regards to finding the oddest box.
  • shate98shate98
    @undercoverbanana I'm totally stealing that... although, I will probably save it for eating crabs in the summer, since that's when we break out the butcher block paper.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • undercoverbanana
    that would be AWESOME for summer!
    i'm nekkid.
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine

It's bad enough that we lie about Santa...no wonder we don't trust anyone when we grow up!

The Black Pete thing is overboard, but I don't think the tradition of Santa is installing distrust in kiddos. I didn't feel lied to when I figured it out, and I don't feel Santa has made me lack trust in people. Santa is the spirit of Giving at Christmas.

No weird traditions here. Every family get together is like a giant roast, except we all pick on each other, not just one person. LOL

DH and I do get my brother am over the top cutesy calendar every year, but that's about it. :-)
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    OH! I forgot about GrinchGift every year.  My dad calls his brother The Grinch because he's rich, but he gives stupid Dollar-store gifts to everyone every year.  So starting a few years ago, Dad goes to every place in town that offers gift cards.  He buys the cheapest one there (usually $5), then spends all but a few cents on each one.  Then, he buys one good gift card for like $50 and puts that in the mix.  Whenever possible, he makes sure there is no denomination printed on any of the cards.  This forces Uncle Woody to have to use them ALL and be embarrassed about the small amounts on them before he can find out which one is the good one. 

@Webosmama my parents used to do that to us.  They'd make SURE we had a friend over when we were allowed to open the bathrobe housed in the Extra Heavy Duty Maxi Pad box.  We did a variation one year.  My DSS was DYING for a PS3.  It was the year it came out at the same time as the Xbox.  He was constantly talking about how lame the Xbox was, how he wouldn't even play one if he had it.  So we bought him the PS3.  But I went to GameStop and got an empty Xbox box.  Put the PS3 in it.  He was SOOOOOOOO disappointed when he opened it, but he thanked us like a trooper, tears in his eyes, until I made him open it to set it up. 
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    We do the Christmas pickle ! The pickle is the last ornament on the tree and then the first ki to find the pickle gets a small prize for finding it.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
    @liquidpeppermint that is hilarious!
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness
  • TruthandjusticeTruthandjustice
    My family was a little (VERY!!!) dysfunctional, and became more cuckoo-crazy as the years went on. When I was little, we used to decorate and set up the tree about a week before Christmas, which I always thought was kind of late, since my friends' families normally had decorations up for weeks. As people became more drunk/crazy, that timeframe was pushed back until basically, when I was a teenager, trees and decorating happened on Christmas eve. And then the stuff (including the tree) didn't come down until about Easter or later. Yep...we were one of THOSE households!
  • Dragonbabyx3Dragonbabyx3
    I buy my kids brand new flannel pyjamas every Christmas. They open the PJ presents on Yule (December 21st). and get to wear them until Santa comes.  We do this every year, the kids get new Pj's, they learn a little bit about different religions, and we have an awesome time.  Christmas Eve we all go to the kids Great Grandmothers house and have a traditional Christmas eve dinner of clam sauce spaghetti (really really good, I even go against tradition and make it year round, quick and easy too!!!) When we get home we relax and watch a movie or two, with all of us curled up on the couch (of course we are all in our new Pj's!  Then They open gifts Christmas day, and I start cooking.  Its great family time! 
  • GirlsOnly
    Now that my sisters and I are all grown up, my family doesn't exchange
    gifts anymore. Instead we have a penny toss. Everybody contributes
    several items - gift cards, calendars, 'as seen on TV' weirdos - and we
    toss pennies into china bowls for a few hours. It's so much more fun
    than unwrapping a bunch of gifts one at a time and then having a mess of
    paper. And so much less expensive! We've invited friends to spend
    Christmas with us before, and they participated, too, and totally loved
    it. Even years later they talk about the Christmas Penny Toss.
  • AAA08
    @momofdbb...we do the pickle too. It's an old german tradition. I'm glad someone else knows about that.:)
  • Marionettevie
    i always thought i was the weird kid in the block because i wasnt allowed to open my presents on christmas. my mom grew up opening them on 3 kings day or whatever...its like jan 6th or some crap.... lol
  • KiinuKiinu
    My fathers family has had this awful 'gag' gift at every single yankee swap, it comes back and is regifted every year, I know this has been going on as long as I can remember, so at least 10-15 years. the gift is a ribcage from a small animal that has been lovingly decorated with an obnoxious amount of glitter and then it was sealed with clear spray paint. it's so creepy.

And my aunt hosts the adult only xmas party every year, nobody can go until their 21, the first saturday in December, so tomorrow night. Everyone get's trashed and does a grownups only yankee swap, $15 limit. it's insane lol
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    @AAA08 I thought it was German ! Lol I started it with my kids , my parents didn't do it. Of course we often lose the pickle. I think we need to buy a new one this year again ! Lol
    yea I am geek !!
  • Live4PeaceLive4Peace
    @dragonbabyx3   CLAM spahetti? I like clam chowder and spaghetti, but I don't know about that one.  Maybe we need a recipe up so we can all try something new this year!  (That's cool to focus on all religions btw)
    I'm always misunderstood because the written word is the worst form of communication...you can't see me smiling =-)
    @Live4Peace it is so easy to make!!!

Clam spaghetti

2-4 cans of clams (depending on how much you like clams)
    4-5 cloves of garlic chopped
    About 1/2 cup of olive oil (maybe a little more)
    Parmesan cheese

Place the oil and garlic in a saucepan and stir until the garlic becomes fragrant, add the clams and juice. cook for 3 minutes, while stirring. cook your spaghetti to pkg directions. Drain noodles and add sauce to noodles. Toss to coat. When dishing onto plate sprinkle Parmesan cheese :) it's yummy, and very quick!
  • Live4PeaceLive4Peace

OK that sounds better... I was imagining a marinara sause. lol

I just might try this now!

@Live4peace it's very yummy!! Lol
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    @momofdbb & @aaa08 We've heard of the pickle, too! DH and I were playfully bickering about the pickle this year. He swears we have one and I swear we don't and we just bicker about it every year. This year I'll have to get one.
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • AAA08

@marysunshine and @momofdbb, we don't have one for our tree, but my parents have a few of various sizes for each grandkid, lol. It was just one when I was a kid, but now they are softies and every kid has to get a prize, ha ha ha.

• momofdbbmomofdbb
    We often have small treats for all of the kids too. Lol. Let each one have a turn !
    yea I am geek !!
  • Live4PeaceLive4Peace
    I've noticed some people on fb have the elf tradition.  Where it's a little creepy elf that sits somewhere in the house and will report to santa if the kids were good or bad each night.  The next day the elf moves spots and the kids have to search for it each day and if they touch it it looses it's magic. 
    @Live4Peace that's the elf on the shelf! We have one lol. It's a pain in the ass but fun when the kids are searching for him!!!
  • CinnaCinna
    @momofdbb I seen some Christmas pickles at Dollar Tree
    Two hearts! Oh baby I'm beating out a samba!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Cool I will have to look there ! Thanks @goodmommy
    yea I am geek !!
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    Pjs for xmas eve... thats about it here.
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • momofalmost3momofalmost3
    Well it hasn't happened yet, but this year the way our familys are doing Christmas the only time we have to meet up our exes (DS9'S Dad and DSD5's mom) is Christmas Day. Keep in mind that ds's dad is fresh outta prison and dsd's mom is a junkie who is court ordered ONLY supervised visits and not allowed in our home. Sooo whats open Christmas Day? Waffle house, so our christmas dinner is going to be at waffle house with two people we can't stand. Yay! Oh and did I mention they are both named Jamie.
  • Katescrazymom
    @momofalmost3  Well, merry christmas to you!  That's not going to be weird and awkward at all.  At least you have the rest of the holiday.