Potluck vs Pitch-in
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

Okay, Scary Mommies. I am trying to settle a debate with co-workers. What do you call a gathering where all people bring in food?

I was born and raised in Louisville, KY and have ALWAYS only called it a potluck. Well, when DH and I moved RIGHT across the river to New Albany, IN people call them Pitch-ins. What the hell?? The first time I heard that word was from the people at DH's work and now that I started a new job in Indiana, they call it a pitch-in as well. It's just weird!!!! We are literally right across the river from Louisville, so why does it have a different name?!?

Anyways, so I was just wondering what do you all call it and where are you from??

• SnugglePussSnugglePuss
    Potlucks all the way!
    Wtf is a "pitch in"? lol
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    That's exactly what I said!!! It doesn't even make sense! :)
  • km.mamma
    Potluck! Ive never heard of putch in sounds like a clean up crew!
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    Potluck!
    Mary :-)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • LLBLLB
    That would be a potluck! I've never heard it called anything else.

Pitch-in is the sign on the side of trash cans :-p
  • kittykisses80kittykisses80
    I live in Indiana and have always called it a potluck. Never heard of it being called anything else.
  • CrashCrash
    Potluck. Lol.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    Oh my goodness! @kittykisses80 what part of IN are you in?? These people here in New Albany and a little west in Corydon think I am the crazy one for never hearing of a "pitch-in"!!!
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    Potluck for sure

community-manager

• mommydeliriousmommydelirious
    Potluck. Pitch-in sounds like you all get in the kitchen and make something or you bring "additional or side" dishes.
    Photobucket
  • ManicMomma
    I live in Indiana and it's pitch-in in my area...as in everyone pitch's in a dish. But I've heard of a potluck...we just don't refer to it as such.
  • missy545missy545
    I'm in Indy and its always been called a pot luck! I've never heard of pitch in either lol
  • missy545missy545
    @manicmomma what part of Indiana ate you in?
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    Potluck
  • missy545missy545
    Crap spell check ***are not ate
  • loveitloveit
    Pot luck!!!
    @saramommy Fort Wayne! :-)
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    Pot luck!
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • ManicMomma
    SaraMommy said:

Oh my goodness! @kittykisses80 what part of IN are you in?? These people here in New Albany and a little west in Corydon think I am the crazy one for never hearing of a "pitch-in"!!!

I don't think you're crazy. It's just like the soda vs. pop thing...in some regions people call it pop (me) and in others its referred to as soda..Its just a preference I guess.
  • ManicMomma
    missy545 said:

@manicmomma what part of Indiana ate you in?

Indy >:D<
    I call it both. sometimes I feel like some soda and sometimes i want sone pop.lol
  • KacerpieKacerpie
    In CA its a pot luck. I was thinking this was going to be a about asking people to come to an Xmas party and they either bring a dish or give you money. That's where I went when I heard pitch in.
    "Please don't talk mom... It makes my brain work..."
  • cheesehead4ever
    I grew up in Wisconsin and live in Minnesota. Never heard of a pitch in. Always a potluck. A pitch in to me sounds like a party to do yard work or house painting.
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    According to wikipedia here are synonyms for potluck: potluck dinner, spread, Jacob's join,]Jacob's supper, faith supper,covered dish supper, dish party, bring and share, shared lunch, pitch-in, carry-in, bring-a-plate, dish-to-pass.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

SaraMommy said:

I don't think you're crazy. It's just like the soda vs. pop thing...in some regions people call it pop (me) and in others its referred to as soda..Its just a preference I guess.

Or just refer to everything as Coke. LOL
  • ManicMomma
    SaraMommy said:

SaraMommy said:

Or just refer to everything as Coke. LOL

YES...LMBO!!!!
  • missy545missy545
    @manicmommy me too! Well west side Hendricks county!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    I love going up to Indy!!! They have lots of yummy restaurants that have been featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives!!! :)
  • PJSaregreatPJSaregreat
    I'm from Ft. Wayne also and have never heard it called a pitch-in. Usually just potluck, although I have heard it called a carry-in.
  • babablacksheepbabablacksheep
    In NY it;s called a pot luck
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

To add to this thread, yesterday morning everyone was talking about "hanky panky"...some kind of breakfast item that I have never heard of! Sometimes it's hard to belive I grew up right across the river, but it seems like a completely different place. haha

• Lakegirl34
    We call it a potluck and I'm from Louisville too @saramommy
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

Glad to know the majority of people call it a potluck!!!

• FoulMouthedSailorFoulMouthedSailor
    Jacobs lunch, scandanvian style all the way
    You show the lights that stop me turn to stone, You shine it when I'm alone. And so I tell myself that I'll be strong
    And dreaming when they're gone.
  • GalFriday
    Potluck or dish to pass.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Always pot luck though a religious friend called them pot blessed
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    I've always called it pot luck.
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    pot luck.....which makes me ask, whats with the luck? I get the pot part, as in the container its made or served in.....but why luck on the end?
    I am me, and I am loved
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    I guess it's a matter of "luck" if the dish is any good or not. LOL
  • eappleeapple
    Pot luck here in Ontario Canada
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • CinnaCinna
    Potluck here in Texas.
    Two hearts! Oh baby I'm beating out a samba!
  • Manders15Manders15
    Pot luck, & that covers every state I've lived in (in memory)
  • kay3
    Well to confuse things evan more in my part of the country we call it a "covered dish meal" Ive heard it called pot luck too by my friends that live in the north. but never heard of a pitch-in
  • Lees
    Pot luck in CA, but now I live in Indy and I almost always hear "pitch in." The first time at school people were talking about a pitch in and I thought we were all going to go outside and pick up trash.
  • pennypenny
    Potluck here, but when I was a kid I heard covered dish a lot.
  • ManicMomma
    @SaraMommy, I had to google hanky panky..I know there's a popcorn called that...now when I looked at the pic its sausage and junk on rye bread if that's what they're talking about I've that before at a "pitch-in" here at work,lol
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    @ManicMomma yes!!! that's what it was! Something with sausage and some other stuff all smashed together. I didn't even ask because it didn't look very appealing to me!! So funny you've had it at a "pitch in" LOL Some Hoosiers are odd... ;)
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    "Potluck", Maine. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • SpringSpring
    Yeah I was with @Kacerpie. I was thinking pitch in had to do with money. In college we had "BYOB or pitch in," as in, bring money to pay to those who actually bought alcohol if you don't bring your own. 
    "Sometimes I question my sanity. Sometimes it replies."