what do you guys do with your leftovers?
  • undercoverbanana
    Thought this might be a good thread to start. I will attempt to make potato bread with leftover potatoes. Probably a coffee cake with the sweet potatoes....it cooks and tastes like pumpkin. Tamales with leftover turkey that doesn't get made into sandwiches. I still have some shopping to do, we already got a turkey, so I will donate the free one.
    i'm nekkid.
  • FreeToBeMee
    potato pancakes with the mashed potatoes. Breakfast quiche  with the ham. other than that, we just graze until its gone. Thanksgiving sandwiches for days !!
  • GritsGrits
    You haven't lived if you've never made a hot brown out of leftover turkey. That is some good shit!!

I also do turkey soup, sandwiches, whatever. We don't do ham, and there's never leftover stuffing. Sometimes I make a batch of stuffing just so I can make a turkey and stuffing casserole. Its sooo good!

"I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    I'm not sure of the recipe, but there is a turkey potato stuffing type soup that I've heard of.  It basically has everything all thrown in making a stew of sorts.
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • undercoverbanana
    what is a hot brown?
    i'm nekkid.
  • GritsGrits
    @undercoverbanana a hot brown is a regional thing here. It started as a dish served at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, KY.

It's basically toasted bread layered with turkey, bechamel sauce, bacon, and tomato. Top it with parmesan and stick it under the broiler for a few until the sauce is bubbly. So yummy!
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • undercoverbanana
    i bet that IS good.
    i'm nekkid.
  • FreeToBeMee
    You could top a dog turd with bacon and bechamel and it would be yummy !!! 
  • jacigirl6354
    Unfortunately, I put the left overs in containers, have great intentions and after a few weeks tend to throw them out before they turn into science experiments. My farm cats are most appreciative, however!
  • Marionettevie
    i wanna know how to make potato bread! any recipe you have tried that is good? and i never thought of turkey tamales... sounds yummy! i will make my mom lend me her tamale steamer thing to make that because now i want some!
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    What left overs????
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    I always send everyone home with some, then whatever's left is what we eat for the next day or so, because I am cooked out lol
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • undercoverbanana

i use my father in law's recipie. these make exellent rolls--perfect for tiny sandwiches.

1 pkg yeast

1and 1/2 c. warm water

1 cup mashed potatoes

2/3 cup sugar (i don't think that much sugar is neccessary. feel free to cut down. i do.)

2 eggs

1 and 1/2 tsp. salt

6-7 cups of flour

using 3-4 cups of the flour, beat everything together until smooth, then mix in remaining flour and knead, refrigerate 8 hrs. to over night, bake @ 400 15-20 minutes or until lightly brown.

i generally combine the water, yeast, sugar and set it aside.....and sometimes, depending on where you live, you might need more yeast. that's a lot of flour. when the yeast and sugar start to foam, i mix it with the potatoes, and the eggs lightly beaten, and the dry ingredients that i have already combined.    when you start mixing this shit together, it's a sticky mess, so knead it and mix it in the bowl. a big ass bowl.   when it feels like soft clay, not sticky anymore, it's ready. throw it in the fridge, and to hell with it until the next morning. in the morning, i pull out the dough,  have coffee, turn the oven on, and pull off pieces of dough about 1/2 the size of how big i want the rolls. this makes an assload of rolls, so i give them to people, too. nobody in their right mind turns down homemade bread.    when they come out of the oven, brush with a little melted margarine or butter.

i'm nekkid.
  • Marionettevie
    thank you!11
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    well, i'm fat and pregnant and dh is just "extra healthy" so we usually feast on our leftovers as soon as we get home.  then i'll eat some for breakfast and dh and kids will usually eat some for lunch. then dh is usually tired of eating leftovers so i will happily eat the rest for my evening snack.
  • undercoverbanana
    you can use whole wheat, oat, or rice flour, too. Just dont use all whole wheat flour. No more than half.
    i'm nekkid.
  • irishlassirishlass
    My first reaction to this title was 'eat them'! Turkey and stuffing sandwiches, chicken/turkey and broccoli bake, curry with whatevers left, but the absolute best of the best is hash. Chopped anything fried, with hp sauce on the side. Heaven. Friday for lunch I'm having; sausages, bacon, turkey, chicken, stuffing, potatoes, sprouts, broccoli, carrotts, parsnips, sweet potato chunks. Holy shit I think I just came.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • FreeToBeMee
    @irishlass , my kinda gal !!! 
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

I LOVE cold turkey sandwiches on white bread (I normally eat wheat) with mayo!!! they are the absolute best! But, since we have only been getting a turkey breast...there isn't much leftover!

And my mom makes a great turkey vegetable soup out of her leftovers!!

And I second the hot brown!!! Delicious!!!!!

• BeachyBeachy
    My mil makes a turkey pot pie. Turkey, gravy, stuffing tipped with biscuit dough and bake til GB&D.
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    Every year we have Black Friday Casserole. Where the heck did I put that recipe? Darnit. I only make it once a year so I don't have it memorized. I'll post it when I find it.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • regpregp
    OH you meant Thanksgiving leftovers, I was thinking in general. We do not eat left overs at our house. My husband is pretty particular about what he eats and he is super particular about left overs. There are about 2 things that he will re-heat and eat.

The only thing saving you from me is Jesus.
  • @regp yeah I just can't do reheated food either weirds me out!!
  • regpregp
    @ohkay, really?? I've never met another person with that aversion. My husband just cannot eat it. Do you have a weak stomach? If he starts thinking something he ate was "off" (even if it was not at all) then he will get sick. He just can't handle it.
  • @regp I don't know I can't think about the fact it sat in the fridge which is weird because the new stuff sits there.
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    So @OhKay  and @regp all these years I've been giving my hub shit for not eating leftovers and now you tell me it's a real thing? I seriously thought he was just being his usual picky self lol (and he totally has a weak stomach lol)
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • shate98shate98
    I second @SchweddyBalls ...what leftovers???

I always make a thanksgiving sandwich the next day... turkey, cranberry sauce, on a roll, add some lettuce  and some butter and a touch of salt. Gravy if you like (but I don't). And Voile!
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    I would not have married my husband if he couldn't eat leftovers. I shit you not. Deal breaker.
  • undercoverbanana
    My family is picky about leftovers, too. That's why I recycle everything. Soup becomes pot pie, meat becomes enchiladas or quesadillas, etc.
    i'm nekkid.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    Yeah, we recycle leftovers too.
  • @SAHM1020 it is real I would probably puke. I can't tell you why:(
  • regpregp
    @sahm1020 @ohkay My hubs is the same way. He will throw up. Something about it being cold then hot then cold again? Also, he didn't have plentiful food growing up so it would not surprise me to find out he had eaten something bad at some point when he was younger.

@gingersnap, I don't cook so it doesn't hurt my feelings that he doesn't eat leftovers! lol I know a lot of men who would say a woman that doesn't cook is a deal breaker. 
  • @regp I didn't have food either growin up ate some nasty old old food. Now that I can I feel I should be able to choose what I eat.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @regp - it's not my pride, it's my frugal upbringing and time management.
  • regpregp
    @ohkay, I have heard him say nearly the same thing about choosing what to eat now.
    @gingersnap, I wish I could cook, but I can't and we end up throwing away my effort and going out for something anyway. So, it's actually less expensive for us to eat out. And I will be the first to admit that I have negligible time management skills. I envy those who do :)
  • @regp having to eat nasty things and old or food bank which our gave gross food. Or eating food not cooked. I am very thankful now to have choices and I am a picky eater now.
  • WillileeWillilee
    I don't eat leftovers but DH and the girls will clean them out in about 2 days. And then will refuse to eat turkey or potatoes until next Thanksgiving.
  • JustJulia
    You know that saying " what you don't know doesn't hurt you. " It's true with leftovers.
    As long as you put the food in the fridge within the time it should have been.
    Also you don't have cats or dogs helping themselves to it on the bench before you put it in the fridge.
    Flies are another thing, food must be covered.
    Another thing is Chicken and rice should never be left out to get cold, in the fridge while still warm.
    Chicken and poultry should only ever be reheated once. Basic rules we go buy.
    Turkey stew is just as nice as turkey soup. Turkey and vegetable fritters, yummy.
    Gosh i was bought up on leftovers and i am still living. Our future son in law had never
    eaten leftovers in his life. He came to visit and our daughter showed him the light.
    One bowl of leftover pea and ham soup and he was converted. We don't have turkey often but leftovers are
    very common in our house, you don't eat them you go hungry.
  • Marionettevie
    wtf! how can you go out to restaurants if you dont eat leftovers?? most crap cools down and warms up constantly at buffets and stuff. its never the same temperature, with them putting it under lights and steam things and then constantly adding new with old. that just really weirds me out that people cant eat leftovers...especially if they are only one day old, and you know who made them. i trust my leftovers more than i trust food that some worker at a restaurant made
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    I sent most of them home with everyone.. kept some turkey and the carcass for soup.  Can't have that stuff in the house when I am trying to be super healthy! (the stuffing, potatoes, pies, etc..)
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • episcopal
    Lots of turkey sandwiches over the next few days!
  • undercoverbanana
    I'm going to give everybody a couple days to graze and freeze or recycle anything left over.
    i'm nekkid.
  • missmama5missmama5
    People who don't eat leftovers make me sad. There's so many hungry people in this world who would love to eat leftovers.

We usually make soup and sandwiches, nothing fancy, but we do eat it all. Dh brings regular leftovers from dinner at least 3 or 4 times a week for lunch at work.
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    I make Mac N Cheese with the express intention of it being eaten the next day.
    I love reheated Mac N Cheese.

As for ThxG leftovers, they usually just get eaten as is. No sandwiches, soups, or casseroles. Just heat & eat.
    There isn't enough left for that.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• wonderwomanx3
    Turkey salad anyone? That's the extent of my recycling. I'm not a very good/creative cook. Wish I was. I try new things, follow the recipe to a T & maybe twice out of 10 times it turns out edible. Discouraging.
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    I intended to have turkey and stuffing sandwiches for lunch today, but that didn't happen.  Between the four of us, we ate an entire 10-lb turkey and almost all the stuffing, all the mashed potatoes.  All we had left was a little stuffing and some mac and cheese--which don't go together well in a sandwich.  So I guess we'll have that for lunch.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Turkey on toasted bread w Hellmans , whole berry cranberry sauce and a side of deviled eggs
  • irishlassirishlass
    @regp do you eat out every day??

Oh and in the food safety course I did, it said you should never put ny food in the fridge until it is cold?

I just adore leftovers!! I couldn't BEAR to throw out things! I didn't make soup with the turkey bones and I feel like such an arse!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • regpregp
    @irishlass Not every single day but close to it.
  • LLBLLB
    I always buy the biggest turkey I can find with the intention of having lots of leftovers.

Hot turkey sandwiches. Turkey, stuffing and gravy on toast with mayo.

Turkey soup with the stock I made from the carcass.

Turkey pot pie

And since I have a massive amount of mashed potatoes left over this year I'm going to try making turkey croquets this year too!
  • crazybroad
    i need a turkey detox....turkey sandwiches, bbq turkey, turkey fajitas, now im using the rest for turkey salad. now i know why i only eat it once a year.