HELL NO! I'm not shopping on Turkey Day!!!
  • GirdyOleeGirdyOlee
    I will not be doing my Christmas shopping on Black Friday, and I CERTAINLY will not be doing any shopping on Thanksgiving. Here’s why;

I don’t need anything at Wal-Mart so badly that I’ll sacrifice my time with my family. I believe that the employees at Wal-Mart (and other stores) deserve to have the day to spend with THEIR families. Yes, you may be able to get a flat screen TV for $99, but it might be the last Thanksgiving your cashier gets to spend with their elderly Grandmother. I refuse to support a business that doesn’t have any respect for their employees during the holidays.The almighty dollar can’t replace the value of time spent with family.

The only way I know how to let the retailer know that I’m not pleased with their choice to open on Thanksgiving is to refuse to shop. But I’m only one person. They won’t be hurt by my absence.

If you are one that goes crazy doing Black Friday shopping, HAVE FUN!!! I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with shopping that day. But on Thanksgiving, everyone should be with their loved ones, and the stores should be closed like in the “Good Ol Days”.
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    I will not leave my house either day.. too crazy!!
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    It is too crazy to shop on black Friday. And unless you are first in line do you really abash any of the good deals anyways? I don't think that retailers should open on Thanksgiving, I wool be staying home too :)
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I might do a little shopping on black Friday but only if I see an add that has a really good deal.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • FreeToBeMee
    Im actually taking soup and warm food down to the Wal Mart strikers. 
  • kta2012
    this is the first yr without my grandma for the holidays your message hit home..i will not be shopping on thanksgiving day or black friday in protest as well!!
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I've boycotted walmart anyhow. I prefer to patronize mom and pop stores, whenever feasable. I really don't much care for stores that stock nothing but goods made overseas, pay their employees minimum wage, give them just under the required hours to be considered full time, ensuring they won't receive benefits or a paycheck they can actually live on. I could go on and on.

No, I won't be shopping on thanksgiving or on black Friday. I'm lucky enough to off work. I think i'll enjoy the time with my kids, Who I don't see nearly enough, while They are still young enough to want to spend time with me.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    WalMarts in Maine will not be open Thnksgiving Day. However, they are opening at midnight. :( I'm okay with Black Friday, but it's called Black *Friday* and starting at 12AM on Friday "morning" is a bit of a stretch. IMO 4AM was plenty early. I suppose this is another example of "holiday creep"? I don't think there are any deals that I want this year badly enough to venture out. I have almost all of the Christmas shopping done now.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • GritsGrits
    No Black Friday for me, either. I wish there was a way to humble Wal-Mart, but as long as people still love a deal, then I don't see it happening any time soon. Like @katz_meow, I'll be shopping local small businesses. DH has pretty much refused to continue to buy products that are made overseas by laborers working and living in squalor. It really is a shame that Wal-Mart and places like it feel the need to open their doors at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. It kind of alludes to the fact that they simply don't value family like they should. And we all know how they feel about their employees.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • mamaofboysmamaofboys
    In MA stores cannot open on Thanksgiving (with exception of convenience stores and some pharmacies) and so the stores can't open any earlier than 12:30 Friday "morning". I will be one of the crazy people out there but I would not shop on Thanksgiving of the stores were open here.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present.
  • irishlassirishlass
    Its different here, boxing day is the big shopping day and I avoid it.

"Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    I despise Wal-Mart anyway.

FYI JoAnn Fabrics posted on their FB page that they will be CLOSED for Thanksgiving in respect for their employees and the meaning of the holiday. If you have one near you patronize them for all your crafting needs INSTEAD of WalMart. Besides, WalMart has shit, craft wise, compared to JoAnn's.
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • cheesehead4ever
    I refuse to go shopping on Thanksgiving Day and I am not big on shopping on Black Friday either just because I hate crowds. I sometimes go to Kohls around 11 am just because it's only 2 miles from my Mom's house.
    This year we are at home and the major shopping area is in the middle of a rural area and everyone in a 40 mile radius goes there. It will be a madhouse. We might go to Kohl's around noon just because they sent us 2 coupons for $10 off any item. It will be worth it to get $20 worth of free stuff. Then we will go home and stay away from all of the other stores!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    I've been debating whether or not I should go. I saw a couple of things from Target and Toys 'R Us that are 50% off, but I don't like the fact that they open at 8 and 9pm. I'm thinking I may just take a chance of them not having the item by going Friday morning at 8 or so, if at all. It's nothing that I HAVE to have so I don't think it's worth missing out on some family time to go. I've been shopping on Black Friday for the past several years and I just end up spending more money of unnecessary gifts just because they were a good deal. Which is another reason I  may avoid it this year...
  • FreeToBeMee
    Also, Redskins Cowboys game at 4. I aint going NOWHERE til that is over.
  • LLBLLB
    I'll probably be going. It depends on the sales and whether I can get what I want online.

I spend all day with my family during the day so I don't really see the big deal with heading out at 10pm thanksgiving night to shop. All the festivities are done and everyone has already gone home by 7 or so anyway. Putting the kids to bed at 8 as usual and head out shopping doesn't seem weird to me...

Many stores around here have been open all day thanksgiving for years. Walmart is not the first to do it and they are not the only ones doing it. To single out Walmart seems so silly to me. Why not mention all the other stores doing the exact same thing?
  • KiinuKiinu
    I'm in Ma too... nothing around me is opening until 1am.. Well, other than McDs, MIL is a store manager in another town, and my Brother is an assistant manager in my town, they have to work full days on thanksgiving. My two sisters and my BIL also work undr my brother at the same store, they all have a small 3hr shift that day. But since Bro is in charge of scheduling they'll all be around for our dinner at 1pm.

I do Black Friday, but well, Thanksgiving isn't always us together because of McDs, it worked out this year but my siblings are 21, 20, and 17, they all started working at 16 so were many years where my siblings were on different schedules and we just kind of did dinner and they ate around their shifts.
  • stinkersmommystinkersmommy
    I worked one too many black Fridays to ever shop on them and I sure as hell won't be anywhere near a store turkey day unless its a food emergency for the meal cuz I swear I always forget some damn thing!!!!
  • Lulu

Most stores hire seasonal help, and if you're applying for a seasonal position it's sort of part of the package that you work Black Friday. Not to sound cruel, but it's part of retail. I've worked Black Fridays and I did it with a smile on my face because I needed the money.

I get the sad stories about last holidays with dying relatives, but then why would you apply for a part-time job at a place that you should know is going to give you hours on Black Friday, Christmas Eve, the day after Christmas, and New Years?

• FreeToBeMee
    I dont do Black Friday because of the insanity. I get having to work it though if you are in retail but I think Thanksgiving day is a bit much. And Im supporting the WalMart strikers not because of anything Black Friday specific but just because...well Wal Mart is kinda fucked up as an employer and Friday is a GREAT day for workers to strike.
  • LesboMomLesboMom

I worked one too many black Fridays to ever shop on them and I sure as hell won't be anywhere near a store turkey day unless its a food emergency for the meal cuz I swear I always forget some damn thing!!!!

Working the cash office in retail has definitely tainted my Black Friday experience. It is seriously not worth it to head over there to get one of the 20 doorbuster items. I'll be fine. Really. 

confessional-manager

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow. -- Helen Keller
  • piratej101321piratej101321
    I have always figured there is nothing I want or need enough to go out on black Friday LOL but that's just me. I also do not shop on thanksgiving.
  • anonymommy
    I went shopping on Black Friday for the first time last year, but not until 10 or 11 a.m.  I'm planning on doing the same thing this year.  By the time we got out and about it seemed like most of the craziness had died down, shelves had been restocked and we still got good deals on what we were after.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    There's a reason they call it Black Friday, and no, I do not participate.  I might do a little cyber-shopping, but I don't have to face crazy assholes to do that!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • olivia1117olivia1117
    Thank you! I totally agree! Even if you are a die hard Black Friday shopper, I don't understand why the stores should open any earlier than 6 am. But there is no good reason for stores to be slowly creeping the hours back until in many cases it is all day Thanksgiving now, is just sad!
  • I think it's awful that there are so many retailers opening on Thanksgiving. And I won't even consider shopping on Black Friday. I don't have it in me to brave the crowds.
    Mommy of three littles 3 and under. I need a nap. :)
  • shate98shate98
    I don't shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday, BUT...

Two years ago my Dad was cooking the bird around mid morning and melted his turkey baster into a shriveled little platic ball. THANK GOD Wal-Mart was open. And it was a zoo. Dad just couldn't finish that bird without a baster and the whole dinner was absolutely ruined unless he had one. So he got one.

That being said, having worked in retail I would have gladly taken the extra pay/extra money to work on the holiday, but not past two. Cuz I need time to get to my par-tay.

But, in general, it's a national holiday and stores SHOULD BE closed.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • MegsueMegsue

That is all...
  • GisleyandHank

I used to waitress during the holidays and people would come in and say "Bummer, you have to work on Christmas?" And I'd think "Yes! Because of you motherfucker!"

This year I'm working in the Emergency Room during Thanksgiving.

• peach27
    I won't be shopping on Thanksgiving either. Time with my family is way too precious. For the first time in years I am working in a restaurant that is not open on Thanksgiving. I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for those who have to work, it's a part of life. I even worked in a diner where the employees worked 3rd shift every night, so one 3rd shift a year is not bad. 
  • organicbabyorganicbaby
    katz_meow said:

I've boycotted walmart anyhow. I prefer to patronize mom and pop stores, whenever feasable. I really don't much care for stores that stock nothing but goods made overseas, pay their employees minimum wage, give them just under the required hours to be considered full time, ensuring they won't receive benefits or a paycheck they can actually live on. I could go on and on.

Sorry, I lived a year in a small town in Missouri hit by Wal-Mart with the family of a Wal-Mart track driver. No way in hell I am putting one single foot in that store.

• sunnymommasunnymomma
    I wont be shopping on thanksgiving either, and anyplace I happen to stop at like a gas station I always make sure to thank them for working on a holiday. Most places around here that are open ask for volunteers to work, so that's a little better in my eyes. 
    I am me, and I am loved
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    That's insane.i would never shop on Thanksgiving night.
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • ChristyJChristyJ

Two questions:

Walmart is open on Thanksgiving anyway. Why protest them now.  The only ones opening earlier than usual are Target, Sears and a few others.  Walmart is only closed on Christmas Day.

How is this different than movie theatres? Are the employees there not allowed to enjoy time with their families.  I understand they actually open at the normal time at 10 or 11 am and are open all day.  Movie Theatres have been open on Thanksgiving for years, in fact we went every year until DS was born.

I will be shopping on Thursday night, but DH  and I actually enjoy getting out for one crazy night.  It is kind of like a date night for us.  Unfortunately, he has to work on Friday this year, so we are just going to do the early stuff and go home.

Imperfect and proud of it.
  • AnonUser37
    Ahh black friday. In mass they open at midnight and the fights start at about 9 pm. Ive worked in law enforcement long enough to not have annnnny desire to be out there. But ill be working Thanksgiving anyway and black friday.

I guess i just dont get the hype. Yeah i could save money but i could also sleep. Ive always love sleep more
  • deviantqueendeviantqueen
    I work retail but normally i only deal with my contractors, but this year I will be going into work at 3am on Black Friday so I can pull internet orders from Thanksgiving. And then please pray for me because I will be one of the people opening the doors at 5 when my store opens. Because of this I don't get to do Black Friday shopping.
  • pennypenny
    I go out on Black Friday, not for the crazy deals, but because it helps me get in the Christmas spirit. I don't believe in shopping on Thanksgiving, and I sure as hell am not going to risk being trampled to death at Walmart for a marked down POS TV.
  • Chocoholic
    Commercial Consumerism- making BLACK FRIDAY a more important holiday than THANKSGIVING.

Seriously, our level of consumerist addiction to the point that people are giving up holiday time for THINGS is ridiculous. RI-MUTHAFUCKING-DIC-U-LOUS. 

(@schweddyballs, I can just never do it quite like you)
    The answer is chocolate. I don't care what the question is.
  • GisleyandHank
    I know Black Friday isn't going anywhere. Being open on Thanksgiving is just a stepping-stone so they can start Christmas sales earlier. Show you believe in the seperation of holidays by not shopping today!
  • BeachyBeachy
    I have never been Black Friday shopping?
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    It looks like my mom is dragging me out shopping tonight ! I really didn't want to but she is buying and it's something my kids want. She can't drive at night.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • realtormomrealtormom
    At the rate we're going, black Friday is going to become July 5
    The past has a vote, not a veto ~ Moredecai Kaplan
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    Just thought of a few grocery items I needed (Target and Walmart are my closest 'local' grocery options) and then realized what day it was... hahaha.. no thank you!!  Not leaving the house today, unless it's to take the toddler to the park.
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Too full too tired hell no
  • cassie77775
    We went last night.  I got up yesterday at 5am, drove the 30 miles to work, worked 7a-7p at the hospital, drove 30 miles back home and went to walmart, got home by 845 and went to bed :) I didn't go out this morning, I'd mch rather go in the evening than get up at 3am!  We celebrate Thanksgiving early anyway so we weren't really having any family time AND my kids were all asleep by 7 anyway so I didn't miss out on time with them either since I was at work anyway!  I love Black Friday, I rarely spend more than 150$, it's carefully planned out and it's just fun!