Game of Thrones
  • wen0416wen0416
    I watched it on HBO when it came out and loved it, my boyfriend got me the book last year, kind of put it off cause it seemed like it would be hard to read, and I normally don't read those type of books, well, a couple months ago, I decided to give it a try and IT IS AMAZING!!!  I am already half way through book 3 (there are 5).  The series (at least season 1 and most of season 2) actually follow the book pretty good also (doesn't go way off like True Blook/Stookie Stackhouse books did). 
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    Love love love the Song of Fire and Ice series! I actually read the books a few times before I ever decided to watch the show. They do alright with it- it's a super complicated story so I cut them some slack lol  If you go on George R R Martin's website, there's an excerpt from the next book (once you've finished the first five lol)  The next season of GoT starts in the spring I believe (my hub has a countdown on his phone lol I think he has a Daenerys fetish)
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • wen0416wen0416
    So, he is coming out with another book in the series?  I though it ended at book 5..
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    I believe there's 2 more in the series but I could be wrong...
    "Don't Panic"
  • kittycatcornkittycatcorn

I'm new here and so excited to see ASOIAF thread!  I do believe there will be at least 2 more books, the next called Winds of Winter.  I love the TV series as well as the novels, everything's so dense and well done and the characters are all absolutely fantastic, even the ones I "hate." 

I think that the 3rd book (Storm of Swords) and 5th book (Dance with Dragons) are the best.  Currently re-reading for the 4th time, and there's still so much I had missed!

• FLUFFY
    I am halfway through the 2nd book and I am enjoying it so much!! A friend recommended the series and I am so glad that I listened! I have never seen the show but would recommend the books to anyone looking for a good read
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I just got DVDs of the first season as a gift. Woo-frickin'-hoo!!
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • wen0416wen0416
    FLUFFY said:

I am halfway through the 2nd book and I am enjoying it so much!! A friend recommended the series and I am so glad that I listened! I have never seen the show but would recommend the books to anyone looking for a good read

Yeah, they are addicting!  I just started the 4th book yesterday, can't put it down! 

I just got DVDs of the first season as a gift. Woo-frickin'-hoo!!

Can't wait for the 2nd season to come out on DVD..and for the 3rd season to start (March 2013)!
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    One of the reasons the book series is so amazing is that you can read it over and over and still find new stuff you missed. I've read all of them at least 3 times each- they're just so good! Can't wait for the new one
    "Don't Panic"
  • kittycatcornkittycatcorn
    SAHM1020 said:

One of the reasons the book series is so amazing is that you can read it over and over and still find new stuff you missed.

Exactly.  EXACTLY!  It's so dense. 

• 4duxinarow4duxinarow
    So glad I brought my Kindle to work today...looks like I won't be getting much done now... 
  • notperfectnotperfect
    I just finished the entire series, it did take me about a year to read, (taking breaks of course) the problem I have now is that other books are boring. GOT is so challenging and involved, and I got so absorbed in the stories, anything else I try to read just seems too simple. Anyone else have this problem?
  • AceofSpades
    ^^ me. I finished the series and felt like my life was over
    "Tough times pass, but tough bitches last"

"I wish I could squirrel, but alas, I cannot"
  • VegantasticVegantastic

^^ me. I finished the series and felt like my life was over

Me too. Thank god for the show or I'd lose it lol
    "Don't Panic"
  • TankGrrLTankGrrL
    I am with you ladies! I read all 5 books in a month! I'm a fast reader though! And I've seen seasons 1 and 2 of the show, and thought they were pretty good. I'm glad I read the books first though, cause even the first few episodes of the show, I had a bit of a time figuring out who was who.

Also, the 6th book isn't to come out until 2015. I dunno what I'm gonna do for 2 more years!! George R.R. Martin better finish them before he dies too, and not pull a Robert Jordan on us!

Did anyone find it interesting that in the book, Danaerys is like 13-14 years old when she marries Khal Drogo? HBO and George R.R. Martin had to up the ages of ALL the young characters for the TV show, else it would have been a little weird.

My only problem with the show is the ridiculous amount of boobs. Seriously. If you're gonna show that much nudity, they should totally show boy-parts too. Just saying. That would make it fair. ;)

Anyone watch the Starz show Spartacus? I blame that show for my son being concieved. Andy Whitfield, RIP you gorgeous man. :(
  • foreverflawedforeverflawed
    I've seen the first two seasons & I'm currently reading the books aloud to my husband when he's home (no, I don't read ahead). I read to him because he's dyslexic. I've read him 80% of Anne Rice (Interview with a Vampire, Lestat, Blackwood Farm, The Vampire Armand, Tale of the Body a Thief, etc.) I've also read him Silver Wolf by her sister, Alice Borchardt which is one of my favorite books & I believe I've read it 6x+ (only once aloud).

It takes a considerable amount of time to read anything aloud to a person who works 60+ hrs/wk especially when we always have the kids & if we didn't... Well, we wouldn't be reading. So far we're halfway through the second book & it's so much more involved than the show adaptation which we expected & a few of the characters weren't exactly cast to the books descriptions but that aside, we're addicted. I'm not looking forward to the period of morning after we finish reading the books. That's always the most difficult part.

Anyone have any other book suggestions along these lines? I'm also reading an interesting "San San" (Sansa & Sandor) fanfic on fanfiction.net that's pretty interesting but mind it's obviously written by a different author who focuses on another aspect. It's *currently* 54 chapters so it can amuse one for a bit.

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8315597/1/