What "traditional" foods WILL NOT appear at your Thanksgiving?
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    I'm planning to make a traditional Thanksgiving (my first turkey this year!), with trimmings.  But there are a couple of things that DH's family always has, that are apparently "traditions" that I REFUSE to make! 

One is a pan of cornbread stuffing.  I have always found it to be dry and nasty.  He'll have to make do with traditional turkey stuffing.

The other is what I call "Eyeball Gravy."  His mother cuts up hardboiled eggs in her turkey gravy.  WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!  Apparently, this is "Southern Tradition."  Not at my house!
  • cheesehead4ever
    That gravy sounds gross. My family does not do sweet potatoes, yams or anything of the sort.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    sweet potatoes...EEEWWW.  OMG, I've never heard of that gravy, that just plain sounds NASTY!

BTW, I have an AMAZING stuffing recipe if anybody wants it...not my own, but its a Better Homes & Gardens award winner from about 10 years ago.  Its SOOOOO good, and I don't like stuffing!!!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I don't have to cook. We go to the in-laws. Its nice, but I do like to make the whole big spread. I even offer to bring a side or dessert but get told no need. Owell.

One thing I would NOT make is broccoli with cheese sauce. Yuck. They serve it, I won't.

And that eyeball gravy. I think i'll pass. Gross.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Eyeball gravy??? Ewwww! We pretty much go with all the traditional stuff. My mom makes real cranberry sauce. Yuck! I will only eat the stuff that makes a slurp when coming out of the can ;)
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • BeachyBeachy
    We don't make the greenbean casserole with the crunchy onions. I made it once and we didn't like it! But it does look good on the commercials so every year I say hey let's make that and dh says oh god no
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @Beachy:  I don't, now will I ever, make greenbean casserole.  I looked at the ingredients once:  canned green beans soaked in Cream of Mushroom soup?  UGH, looks like emesis to me...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    no yams or sweet potatos and no green bean casserole. and no fresh frozen corn, only canned!
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    No sweet potato casserole with MARSHMELLOWS on top!!!!!!! Sacriledge!!!!!!! I have hated that shit for as long as I can remember. Marshmellows sole purposes in life are hot coco, rice crispie treats, smores and fudge.....THATSFUCKINGIT!!!!! Also, I will NEVER serve pearl onion and pea salad......blech x 10...... :-&
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • Oh Gawd...the green bean casserole makes me want to hurl! DH loves it, but he will be back on the boat a day or two before Thanksgiving, so I will go to my family's house. Where there never has been, nor ever will be, a green bean casserole.
    "There's nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time."
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    No green bean casserole. No sweet potato casserole. I like fresh, roasted sweet potatoes. If all you've had is the canned stuff, I can understand if you don't like sweet potatoes/yams. 

Hard-boiled eggs in gravy? :shudder:

No pumpkin pie. None of us really care for it. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    Oh I hate pumpkin pie @Gingersnap. I thought I was the only one!

I loves me some sweet potatoes though, fresh or canned, doesn't matter.

But hold the marshmallows. Never did like them. Blech!
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
    I don't do the green bean stuff, either.  Mom made it one year, and no one liked it.  I DO like the french fried onions, though!  Great for snacks.

As for marshmallows, we won't have those either.  You can barely find them here because we're right off the Navajo reservation, and some genetic thing makes them allergic to marshmallows, so the stores just don't carry them. (True story.)
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @LiquidPeppermint - do they sell Jell-O? That's weird that there's an allergy specific to *marshmallows*. Aren't marshmallows just sugar and gelatin and blue dye? Corn allergy (HFC Syrup & Corn Starch)?
  • PDXcocoPDXcoco
    Cranberries, bleach.
  • KacerpieKacerpie
    We have never done the sweet potato casserole or green bean casserole. One year I decided to see what all the fuss was about with the green bean casserole, and I think it must have to be something your raised with
    :-&
    "Please don't talk mom... It makes my brain work..."
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    I wasn't raised eating green bean casserole. It's okay. 
  • LilbitLilbit
    I love the green bean casserole! But no sweet potatoes or cranberry sauce or pumpkin pie.
  • BeachyBeachy
    I love cranberry sauce! And pumpkin pie!
  • LilbitLilbit
    @beachy you can have my share then!!!!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I don't care for cranberry sauce, myself, fresh or canned, I'll make it for my mom if she's here.  Now what I do LOVE, if you can find it, is cranberry jell-o...they only sell only around now, and if even if you don't like jell-o, you'll probably like this.  My g'ma used to make this jell-o salad with with layers, I don't know if it was cream cheese or sour cream mixed with the jell-o cuz I never cared for it, but I bet it would be good with the cranberry jell-o!

It weird because I do love cranberries, just not sauce...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • BunnyBunny
    We don't do pumpkin pie, makes me gag just smelling it!!
    Crazy? I was crazy once...they locked me in a room with no windows. That drove me nuts. Nuts! Squirrels eat nuts. They drive me crazy. Crazy! I was crazy once..
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    That gravy sounds horrid.

@liquidpeppermint DH made cornbread and leek stuffing last year and stuffed turkey breasts (it was just us two and DS2.5) and that stuffing was anything but dry. It was my first time having it and I loved it.

We will not be serving pearl onions. :-& Or anything with giblets double :-&

I'm making green bean casserole because the ILs are bringing the ingredients, but I'm not eating it. They use cream of mushroom soup. No mushrooms shall pass these lips.
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • GisleyandHank
    I would love to do something crazy like Thai food for Thanksgiving, but DH's family is super-intense about their traditions. Since we started doing Thanksgiving alone at our own house we have branched away a little. We cook a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey (fast and low-stress!), and we go through each dish one by one. We're like, is it on sale? In season? Does it sound good? Are there any crazy new recipes we want to try? This year we're forgoing pumpkin pie because I have these chocolate hazelnut caramel bars I've been dying to make.
  • GisleyandHank
    Our first Thanksgiving together, I said something about greenbean casserole and DH had never heard of it! Plus my grandma used to make this awesome red Jell-O salad that DH won't eat because it looks like placenta.
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    @gisleyandhank My grandma used to make Ambrosia...what I remember is it has coconut, those tiny orange slices, I think maraschino cherries...I didn't try until I was older. And then she passed away when I was 13. :-( Your grandma's jello salad made me think of it! Def recipes from the 40's-60's, right? LOL
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @BellaBefana - maybe it's a texture thing?
  • WillileeWillilee
    I cannot deal with stuffing. It looks disgusting, plus why would you eat something called "stuffing"?
  • WillileeWillilee
    Oh and anything with marshmallows. Marshmallows make me want to :-&
    I don't know what the marshmallow allergy is here; I've just heard from several different people that this is why I can't find marshmallows here and couldn't find them in Gallup, where I used to live.  Strangely, though, marshmallow fluff is easy enough to find. 

I remember another.  My mom always made this stuff called Waldorf Salad.  It was like that Martha's Vineyard stuff Subway sells, only without the chicken.  It had apples, grapes, walnuts, mayonaise, and some other nastiness in it.  I won't be having that, either.
  • Cyny73730
    Ok we'll I live this stuff I know it's somethin I will serve going off the sub of not serving but if y'all try this and u like the Stuff that u put in it then u will live it I don't know what to call it though lol ok I big thing of cottage cheese tube of cool whip crushed pecans box of orange jello the large box and two little cans of manderian oranges mix it all together omg I live that stuff make sure u just use the jello dry don't ad water to it
  • episcopal
    No green bean casserole or mincemeat pie.  Since my folks will not be joining us this year, no Swedish delicacies, such as limpa and lingonberries.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    Cyny73730 said:

Ok we'll I live this stuff I know it's somethin I will serve going off the sub of not serving but if y'all try this and u like the Stuff that u put in it then u will live it I don't know what to call it though lol ok I big thing of cottage cheese tube of cool whip crushed pecans box of orange jello the large box and two little cans of manderian oranges mix it all together omg I live that stuff make sure u just use the jello dry don't ad water to it

@Cyny73730

Okay, so that's:

one large container of cottage cheese
    one tub of cool whip
    some crushed pecans (how much?)
    large box of orange jello
    two small cans of mandarin oranges

Should I mix the cottage cheese and cool whip together with the orange jello and then stir in the nuts and mandarin oranges? Do you drain the oranges first?
  • Crotchgazer
    No cranberries or sweet potato anything :-&
  • morgaine
    D:< NO FUCKING YAMS.
  • Cyny73730
    Gingersnap sorry don't know how to tag lol I do a lot of pecans cause I like nuts lmao and yes drain the oranges and I would mix the jello with the cool whip sorry didn't add that my bad then mix it all together
  • WillileeWillilee
    And will somebody please tell me WTF mincemeat is? I always thought it was just a weird name for some creepy fruit pie, but DH just said he thought it was actually meat?
  • Cyny73730
    :)
  • Cyny73730
    Try that ladies it is good
    Willilee said:

And will somebody please tell me WTF mincemeat is? I always thought it was just a weird name for some creepy fruit pie, but DH just said he thought it was actually meat?

It does........my gma use to make one pie for gpa every tday. She usual made it with venison. She would cook the holyfuck out of the meat, till it no longer resembled a meat type product!!!!! Then she added chopped apples, dates, golden raisins, figs......lotsa spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove) and bake that shit up in a double crust

:-&
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    I love green bean casserole!! I make mine with cream of celery soup though. I hate mushrooms, my family eats it up I have to make a double batch of it and there is no leftovers. Here there will be no squash, turnip, boiling onions, or sweet potatoes, I do have to make a pumpkin pie. DD15 loves it but she is the only one! Never tried mince meat pie, it just sounds yucky. 
    I am me, and I am loved
  • theprincessmommytheprincessmommy
    Stuffing. My husband makes a savory bread pudding instead that is to die for. Bacon, sour dough, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and then a savory custard to bind it. 
  • Crotchgazer
    OMG @schweddyballs I just threw up in my mouth a little from the description of mincemeat pie. The horror!!!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    My grandmom does the gravy with egg , but chopped in smaller pieces than that. One thing we used to have but don't anymore is fried Okra. My aunt cooked it and after she passed away no one else will make it. The bad thing is for the longest time I actually thought fried okra was supposed to be black ! Hers was ! She burnt it every year.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • bombkittybombkitty
    I prefer sweet potato pie to pumpkin.  No, HELL no to green bean casserole.  My family makes homemade noodles as well, but they are really thick....yuck.  Honestly, I was thinking of just doing a stuffed chicken breasts, stuffing on the side, pick a vegetable, whipped sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cran sauce.  That's probably good.  I used to spend the whole day in the kitchen from like 6 to 6.  By the time everything was ready I didn't want to eat.  Also I'm not crazy about touching raw meat, I was a vegetarian for years.  My DH said it puts him off the food when he has to listen to me dry heaving while I prepare it, LOL.

@bombkitty......dry heaver here too! !!!!!! I get an extra pair of dishwashing gloves to handle the turkey........nothing skeeves me out more than touching dead cold poultry.......that and mouth mucus....... :-&
  • BeachyBeachy
    Reese I watched my dh pop out the quills from the turkey today! @justkeepswimmimg would have loved it, but it was really disgusting. I don't think I am eating turkey ever again....
    It was just like popping blackheads....
  • irishlassirishlass
    Wait.. Canned sweet potatoes?!?! YUK! Fresh roasted are heaven!

@willilee @schweddyballs mincemeat must be a british thing! Do you not have mince pies at christmas?! In the olden days it used to be made with real meat, now its a mixture of dried fruit and raisins in christmassy spices. Usually made into very small pies and served with brandy cream!
    I don't like them, because I don't like raisins or cinnamon, but they are EVERYWHERE!!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • pennypenny
    Canned cranberry sauce and cream of mushroom soup are perma-banned. And that eyeball gravy is purely disgusting, especially since I hate eggs. gravy should be smooth.

I make my own cranberry sauce with caramelized onions and it is to die for. And this year I'm making green bean casserole pie, using homemade sauce.

Sadly, I think this year a proper turkey will also be absent. SIL and BIL are frying two this year, and last year they were dry as sawdust.
  • pennypenny
    Also, WTF is it with marshmallows and sweet potatoes? I had never heard of it until my late teens. At my grandma's we always had sweet potato casserole topped with a crunchy pecan praline topping and it was amazing.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers

I wasn't raised eating green bean casserole. It's okay. 

This ^^

Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...