How much TV do your little ones really watch?
  • kmtr
    So, I'm feeling guilty because my DS3and4 have been watching more TV lately since it's colder and darker and we are not going outside as much.  We do lots of stuff in the mornings and they both go to preschool in the PM but that damn American Pedi. thing about 2 hours of TV/day thing rings in my ears.  They zone for at least 2, sometimes up to 3...depending on my need for sanity.  Dare to share how long the TV babysits your babe in a day? 0
  • ChibikoChibiko
    Mine get about 1.5 hours of screen time a day.  DS is 6 and DD is 4.  Now they often get more on the weekends b/c at my parents there are no limits on it.
    "We all cross over to the dark side at one point. We just all have different temptations" ~MarySunshine

"You were the truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all" ~Death Cab for Cutie
  • momma2A
    My DD will be 2 in January and really has no interest in it. Shell watch the odd commercial, mostly for a catchy song. But my tv is on all day even if just for noise.
  • momsaidnomomsaidno
    well we have only had cable for 2 weeks and in that two weeks my 4yr old has been in front of it from 9-11 and hen from 1230-3 and i have been packing for the big move. but it will not be like that all the time

• LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    Our TV is on constantly.  I just like it in the background.  But actual WATCHING? My daughter gets about 2-3 hours per day.  I know it's probably too much, but sometimes I just need a BREAK.
  • KiinuKiinu
    The living room TV is on all day... If I shut it off he asks me to put it back on. But he never makes it through a whole episode of anything... he watches TV in 5min intervals lol. Probably amounts to 3hours ish a day, and he's 3. I'm a bad parent, eh.

Honestly it's on right now.. but I'm in the dining room on the laptop and he's in the toy room in front of me, playing with.. an easter basket. So it's playing to an empty room. :)
  • missmama5missmama5
    A shit ton. Not during the week because of school, and on school days I enforce a strict no morning TV policy, but after school & homewOrk it's free reign. And weekends when we aren't busy.
  • DiscoDeb
    I love this thread. Makes me feel better.
    I have the TV on to the music choice channel for playtime for background noise, usually to classical music so my kid can get smart n stuff, or 80s music for me.
    Then DS17mo gets 30 min of Elmo before his nap as a wind-down, and another 30/45 minutes of Jeopardy & Thomas and Friends in the afternoon while I prep dinner.
    On days when he's sick or I'm not feeling well, it's A LOT more.
  • beachmommybeachmommy

My DS is only 9mo - but I put on Sesame Street and Cat In The Hat every morning as I am getting ready for work.  And he watches it.  And I don't feel guilty at all. 

My beach is still Sandy....
  • The TV is on all day in the living room but DD3 probably actually watches it for 2 or 3 hrs depending on what I am doing. The big kids, DS7 & DD5 watch maybe 30 mins before school in the AM & maybe another hr or 2 in the evening. When it wasn't dark at like 5 we would spend those evening hrs outside. STUPID TIME CHANGE!
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike

Depends on the day and time of year. School days, she might get an hour to 90 minutes after school while I finish up work, but often she'll do crafts, read, or play video games on my phone or laptop because she wants to be upstairs with me instead of downstairs in the TV room. Then we do the whole evening routine and if there's time, she might get another half-hour right before bed/storytime. In the summer she gets more TV because the routine is more relaxed and there's no homework.

Oh, and I forgot to add that she gets more TV on weekends, too. I always take her with me for whatever errands I need to run and we go to swim class, but apart from that, she'll watch TV while I'm cleaning and doing laundry and household stuff.

Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • Ooops. my almost 2yo DS watches a lot of TV, yet my 11 DS watches very little (he spends most of his time on his DS or computer)  I really don't keep tabs on how much TV either of them watch to be perfectly honest...but is it bad that my toddler knows the theme song to Spongebob Squarepants?
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Right now, entirely too much.  That being said, she loves to go outside any chance she gets, and she plays with her toys quite a lot, has a great imagination, and is scary smart...she can distinguish between classical music composers, started taking violin lessons (at her request) at 2 1/2, has far more musical knowledge than I do (thank you Little Einsteins) and is learning Italian, though since I haven't been practicing with her, we're a bit slow on that.

All in all, I'm not too worried about it.  She knows what shows she can't watch and frequently tells me, I kid you not, these are her words, "Moooommmy, Phineas and Ferb is not appropriate for me" or whatever inappropriate show comes on.  I tested her about a year ago on some home school readiness test and even going back and down grading some scores because she couldn't do them perfectly, she still had double the score for kindergarten readiness...at 3.  I must be doing something right, right?  Not gonna change until I see it as a problem (other than I just like the quiet once in a while! ) 
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • KiinuKiinu
    @JD_and_Nates_mommy my DS3 knows the theme song and we don't have cable!! He sees the show maybe once a month at Nanas and he knows it. Toddlers are just magic
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    I would bet probably 2 hours give or take.  I just make sure it's on one of the toddler type channels (nick jr, disney jr) or a movie (obsessed w/ Lion King lately).  Since J stopped napping, he still has quiet time and goes in my bed and watches tv for an hour or so in the middle of the day, he does the same thing for a little while when he first gets up, and right before bed.  Otherwise, our TVs are off.
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

Some days DS2 (almost) won't watch any tv. It may be on, but only certain shows catch his attention, we also put it on the kids music channel as background noise. Other days, he may ask to watch Mickey Mouse, so I will put an episode on. So on average, I would say he may watch an hour of tv several days a week.

• MommiFriedMommiFried
    Not a lot. My 13-year-old maybe an hour or so. My 11-month-old, none at all. She'll glance at the TV every now and then, but that's about it.
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    School days maybe 2 hours a day, weekends and no school days depends but prolly 5-6 hours
  • LargeMargeSentMe
    I don't allow them to watch TV regularly but if there's a holiday special or a sports game my husband wants to watch I let them see it. On the average week they watch zero hours but depending on who is playing football, etc. they might watch two hours a week. The older one is three and he's only seen a movie once. I let him watch cartoons with cousins, friends etc. when we go on vacation or to other people's houses because I don't want to be a control freak or make other parents feel self-conscious about allowing it. I don't care or judge what other people do but I don't generally allow it for my kids.
  • GirlsOnly
    We typically don't turn on the TV until the kids go to bed. They do get Sesame Street, Muppets and Yo Gabba Gabba via youtube for +/- 1hour most days. 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there, and then they get to watch a whole episode of YGG if I need them to leave me alone so I can make dinner.

If they got to my parents house, it's a different story. My folks' TV is on pretty much 24 hours a day; they even sleep with it on! However, it's not tuned to a kids' show, and they don't seem interested after the first few minutes. They'd rather look at pictures or make fireworks on my mom's ipad.
  • BradsCrazyMomBradsCrazyMom
    I must suck cuz we watch a lot of tv :( but my son 23 months knows his abc's n can count to 7 lol
  • theprincessmommytheprincessmommy
    I really don't know exactly how much DS4 watches. The tv is almost always on in the backround but he self entertains really well and builds trains or legos or asks me about things or just plays pretend. I don't think he actively sits and watches that much, he like to have backround noise though always has...the quiet bugs him a bit. I wonder if thats normal?
  • RahsgirlRahsgirl
    I wish my little guy would watch the tv!!! He screams for me to put on either Yo Gabba Gabba or Elmo but then he goes and plays with his toys or gets into other things. But if I try to change what's on the tv he freaks out! Somedays I just wish he'd sit and actually watch the show!!
  • Mom2One09Mom2One09
    My son is three and the TV is on all day. He watches a little and plays a little, but it's pretty much always on in the background. I watched TV as a kid and I'm fine.  ;)
  • firstwife87
    I have so much guilt about how much tv my kids watched... we had one day where I was just so lazy that they probably watched Diego and Dora for like 5 hours, with a break for lunch and the little one had a nap while the big one kept watching. We don't usually watch that much, but that one day I just needed my sanity...
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    I'm not gunna lie, my 18mo watches a lot of tv.  I have a weird thing where I need the tv on for background noise, so even though she plays in this room and that, or we do different things, or some days go out for a bit, the tv is on Treehouse all day and she can stop to watch if she wants to.  Some days I feel guilty about TV teaching her more than I do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • imthatmom
    We also have the TV on all the time, and my DD2 watches a lot of TV...she was never interested in TV up until a couple weeks ago and now she's an addict.  I felt bad for how much she was watching for a minute there...but she's at a learning center/day care for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week.  They work with the kids every day...she is learning, playing and getting exercise most of those hours every single day.  She knows a lot of her shapes - including octagons! She can count to ten, we work on colors, we read and she's talking up a storm!  If anything, the shows she watches are helping her even more with counting, interacting and other educational stuff.  

Pretty good rationalizing, huh?  LOL  Aside from all of that?  I am able to get things done, keep our house from imploding, keep good, hot, real food on our table, clean clothes on our backs and sanity so I don't murder my family. Dog included.

Totally worth it. :P
  • mrswardomrswardo
    TV is on all the time here. I really hate how the American Association of Pediatrics make me feel guilty for letting me ds 22m watch TV.  She loves TV but I don't know how much she watches.  I was raised by my grandmother who didn't speak English and left the TV on all day.  I came out just fine (I have a diploma and degree in Marketing).  My ds already knows her ABCs, numbers, colours and shapes. I have to thank TV partially for that.

Anyway, my motto... whatever works for momma works for baby. :)
  • brit86bratbrit86brat

Our TV is on all the time, but generally DS6 is coloring, or playing with something, or just following me around driving me crazy, so I'm guessing that he probably actually watches about an hour or so on weekdays and 2-3 hours on weekends...I've been trying to break the habit of constantly having the TV by turning it off and suggesting different activities for him to do, but some days this mama is just too tired! Honestly though, he's smart, very articulate, and creative so I don't worry about it too much...

• MoonCrawlerMoonCrawler
    Our TV is on quite a bit on the weekends (DH is an addict), though both of us work, so the girls don't watch it at all during the week.  My mom still tries to make me feel horribly guilty about ANY TV.   The girls have only ever TRULY watched for 30 min or so at a time, but since it is on in the background all the time if DH or in-laws are home, they do get exposed.  Whatever.  They are very bright kids and I'm honestly not worried about it, just wish my mother would lay off.
  • imthatmom
    My DD2 is at a learning center/day care every day for nearly 9 hours while I am at work.  All day long, she is playing and learning (they work on shapes, numbers, alphabet, colors, music, religion etc and it shows!), so if she wants to veg out to Dora or Gabba when she gets home, I don't care.  It's still educational, and I know after a full day for me, I like to give my brain a break!  On the weekends, I'll still let her watch but I try to do other things with her to take her focus off of that and onto other things (I'll admit, over the past few weeks, my kid has definitely found a new love for the TV!)  I'm not worried about it.  She gets exercise and tons of other activities.  It won't kill her or diminish her opportunities or quality of life to watch an extra TV show here and there!
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    There is always a tv on in our house, but like other mommies said....the kids watch it sporadically.
    I know if I need some quiet/calm down time I can turn on Spongebob and get a few minutes of peace.