For crafty mamas on a Christmas budget
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    I came across this on Pinterest
    http://www.everythingetsy.com/2012/08/101-simple-handmade-gifts-for-kids/
    And there's so many of us having a hard time getting gifts for our kids that I thought it could be useful! I haven't decided which ones I'm doing yet- the Lego box looks pretty awesome. Probably depends on what's on sale at michaels lol

If anyone has any other easy crafty gift ideas, lets hear them! :D
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • KrabbyKay
    I knit things. I'm no shining star, but kids get at least hats in their stockings. Sometimes matching scarves. I'm going to be ambitious and do mittens. I know. When kids get older, they are *so* going to be rolling their eyes at this...
  • MamaoftwoMamaoftwo
    very cool thanks for sharing. im going to try the swing!
    "People take different roads to seek fulfillment and happiness, just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost"
  • GingerLynn
    Thanks for sharing! There's a few i think i will try for neices and nephews.
  • Lulu

Since DH lost his job and I'm going back to work, I started crocheting Christmas stockings...I figure I'd make one for DD, for my parents, my sister, and DH's parents and sister which comes out to 7-8 stockings. They aren't huge, about 7 inches high, but I'm going to fill them will a couple small gifts and a packet of homemade cookies.

I got the yarn on sale at Joann's last sale..a big 1 lb skein of green and a big 1lb skein of red for $5 each. Joann's also has a current sale...free shipping for orders $25+ and then coupons for money off.

• gramalibbygramalibby
    I love to make gifts in a jar. There are several books on the subject.....
  • crazybroad
    Im making doll clothes for my daughters "american girl" dolls (target version) out of scraps of fabric i have left from other projects. i also found a big dollhouse that im revamping on craigslist for $10 and i can probably finish it for less than $20.  
  • shate98shate98
    I'm creating a "make your own monster" for my toddler. It's based on a toy from the clearance bin that was a complete failure, but a great launching pad for something better.

It's a flat oval pillow made of fur with a felt face sewn onto the top and felt tabs sticking out from the seams- 6 of them. The back side will have a zipper so that the pillow is really a pouch. Then, I'm going to make different mouths, eyes, noses, arms, legs, horns, etc. They attach to the felt with velcro and store inside of the pouch. So, it's like a Mr. Potato Head, but the plushy monster version.

"As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • wtfwit
    @crazybroad my mom use to make me clothes for my dolls for xmas. One of my happiest memories :) My grandma use to reuse our old dolls heads and just replace the bodies and put different bows on there heads.. sounds creepy but we always thought we were getting new dolls!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    I love the DIY painted wood blocks!! And the baseball bookends!! Such cute ideas...wish I was more experienced with a sewing machine!!
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    Going to make a felt playmat out of a little box my DS likes to play in.  Any ideas on what kind of glue would work to glue felt to cardboard?  SDo I need a hot glue gun or is there a less expensive option?
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • VegantasticVegantastic

@dolphinlover26 Tacky craft glue. Multi purpose/quick dry is my fave. You can get it at Michael's or any craft store (or even Walmart).

I just made DS's Halloween costume with felt and I thought I'd be clever and use fabric glue. HUGE mistake. The second attempt with the craft glue went muuuccchhh better

"Don't Panic"
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    @sahm1020, thanks.  i'll have to check out walmart.
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • Country
    I make quilts so this year all the kids and grandchidren are going to their very own personalized quilts for gifts. I also crochet which is a  good thing because I can also make the daughter in laws afghans for gifts. I have a lot of material that I have gathered over the years and yarn isnt that expensive. I just hope that they all like these gifts.
  • KacerpieKacerpie
    @country, my mom quilts and they are my favorite! I got one when I was two and when I'm sick I still cuddle up with it. I'm 28 now! My brother and I joke that respecting quilts is lost on people now.
    "Please don't talk mom... It makes my brain work..."
  • Country

@Kacerpie

I make quilts for the nursing homes and the elderly people ove them. I have quilts that I made my shildren when they were little but they dont want to take them hme with them because they are afraid of getting them meed up. They seem protective of the things they treasure. I was sitting here thinking that I make quilts for family and friends and I have never had anyone make any for me ever. I never thought of this before today. You are very luck to have your baby quilt.  

• SnugglePussSnugglePuss
    My dd2.5 & I will be making christmas shaped crayons to give out either as ornaments or to be colored with. Plus I get rid of all those pesky, little nubs of crayon.
  • undercoverbanana
    I am terrible at sewing, but several years ago, I made my daughter a teddy bear, the pattern was really simple. I couldn't afford stuffing, but I had a dead pillow that exploded when I washed it and stuffed it with that. She still has it and loves it. handmade soaps are easy, too. And you dont have to make soap. I made soap that looked like scoops of chocolate chip vanilla ice cream out of melted ivory soap.
    i'm nekkid.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

I am making ornaments to give as gifts...here is what I have so far. These are so easy and turn out really cute! And they are cheap to make!image

• KacerpieKacerpie
    We are doing the salt dough ornaments for family. They are getting 1 from each kid, and then I am going to make one with all the kids thumbprints.

@country, that makes me sad you have never gotten a quilt! They really are the best things in the world. If I had the patience I would make you one! I have tried and the most I can do is a patchwork purse. My "baby quilt" is actually big enough for a twin bed, and to this day it is 1 of the 2 (my brother got one too) that is hand quilted. All the others she gets machine done by a friend of hers.
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    @SaraMommy I have a tree full of those swirled paint ornaments lol. We're making them again this year, and my kids give them out as gifts (grandparents, teachers, etc). I like the ones you made with ribbon- that's a cute idea! And not as messy... I may have to steal it lol
    "Don't Panic"
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    Go for it...it's from Pinterest, of course :)
  • Country

@Kacerpie

I like the Salt dough idea. Have you seen the ones that you use your hands to make a Santa Clause? They are really cute. I am going to make them out of our grandbabies hand print for each of our DIL's and DD's/ I think they will really ike them as well.

Thank you for the offer of a quilt it means a lot that you would say that. Hoever, if you can make a patchwork quilt why cant you make a patchwork quilt. It is on the same concept you just have to use more blocks.

:D 
  • KacerpieKacerpie
    @country, I lose patience. And I can't stay focused after 20 or so blocks, seams get wankey, cuts get ugly... its bad. I need immediate gratification.
  • Country

@Kacerpie

I can understand that. When I start sewing a quilt I have to complete it before I stop working. I have sewn one in less then 2 days. I am addicted to making quilts when I get started. I will see some material that catches my eye and I get the fever to start working. I am tickled to death to have granddaughters becuase I have started each of them a hope chest and i have already made several quilts for them and placed them inside for when they get their first homes. I know this is old ashioned thing to do but with the wy things are going every little bit helps out.