Any other Nerd Mommies out there?
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    I'm a complete and total nerd and am raising my kids the same way.  Any other nerdy mommies out there? My nerdiness is largely defined by the following:

I've seen every episode of every incarnation of Star Trek and enjoyed it.
    I've been to several Star Trek conventions (though not in costume...yet)
    I've dressed my child in clothing bought from ThinkGeek.
    I've seen every Star Wars movie.  Didn't enjoy them much.  But I've seen them.
    I went to SpaceCamp when I was 12, with a raging case of strep throat. 
    I read mostly Sci-Fi novels.
    The Big Bang Theory is my favorite TV show, and I get (most of) the jokes.
    My Christmas tree will be decked with every Star Trek ornament ever released.
    I am white, pasty, fat, and socially inept!

I know there are many other nerdy things about me.  And I bet there are other nerdmoms out there! 

• VegantasticVegantastic

I too have dressed my children in think geek clothes. (My fave was the "I am why we can't have nice things" lol). I LOVE to read anything and everything, love scifi books and movies but I'm a Star Wars fan. I think we can still be friends lol

BBT is the funniest show ever!!!

Pinned Image

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    Pinned Image
    "Don't Panic"
  • beambeam
    Mostly geek here.
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • TottyCake
    Big time nerd here!
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    Joss Whedon is my master.

Our honeymoon was Wizard World Chicago (Comic Con).

We subscribe to Chris Hardwick and Felicia Day YouTube channels.

We've been to two Star Wars conventions and participate in 501st related charities.

We are up-to-date on the Doctor Who series.

I am currently watching an Enterprise marathon while I crochet (just finished a light saber afghan).

When my kids ask for Star Trek, they ask for "Star Trek Picard" or "Star Trek Kirk/Spock" or "Enterprise". (We don't own any DS9 yet.)

We subscribe to many podcasts. Too many.

We had a Muppets themed wedding cake, got married in a movie theater, progressed to "The Throne Room" theme (A New Hope), paused in the middle of the ceremony for Aragorn & Arwen's theme, and recessed to the end credits theme from Indiana Jones. Our ring bearer dressed as Frodo.

We own SCA costumes, but haven't participated in years :(

I could go on and on.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Yes I am a geek too!!
    I would dress my kids in Think Geek stuff of I had the money.
    I have three Dr Who shirts !
    If I ask my DS " what is the answer to life universe an everything ?" he immediately replies "42"
    My 4 year old dressed up as "the Blue Bolt " a super hero from the 40s.
    I have pictures of DS from his first Con in the baby pouch wearing his Jayne hat. He was under a year old. Browncoats !!!!
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • peach27
    My daughter has an "I'm snow nerdy shirt." I married a man with a degree in computer science. We play video games together. Our DD6 plays rock band. My DH and I play Magic: The Gathering together and with our friends. I love to learn new things. Does that count?

@momofdbb did you watch the reunion?
  • shate98shate98
    Geek here.

Have watched every episode of every star trek ever.
    LOVE star wars. Own the only ones that count.
    Obsessed with Joss Whedon shows, esp Firefly
    Have seen every episode of Stargate and own the movie.
    Never leave home without a blue towel and my bathrobe (j/k!)
    Married my tech support
    Dress my kid in think geek
    Have a scale model of the apollo 11 lunar lander for my xmas tree
    Have been to NASA in Fla and met Buzz Aldrin (OMG!!!!)
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Well.  I'm not quite as nerdy as the rest of you, I do like Sci Fi, but not enough to partake of conventions.  Me, I was a speech and debate nerd.  I read Time, Newsweek, and U.S. News and World Report to the point of not only indexing them, but damn near memorizing them in high school...had to do speech and debate, it was the only time I could get away from my parents!  ;)  Incredibly short leashed father, here...said I could date when I turned 21.  Thank God my mother had more sense than he did.

Anyway...I WANT THAT PI BUTTON!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • VegantasticVegantastic

@momofdbb has your son read the books? They're awesome, and even funnier than the movie :)

Pinned Image

"Don't Panic"
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    Holy hell that's huge. Sorry fellow geek-ettes
    "Don't Panic"
  • shate98shate98
    @SAHM1020 lol never leave home without a towel.

I only read 4 of the 5 books in the 5 part trilogy. I thought 3 was lame and 4 worse. But 1 and 2 were awesome.
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    @shate98 I agree that the best ones were the first ones. I haven't read them in ages though. The movie, however, is one of mine and my hub's FAVORITES :D  Don't Panic is our family motto. And always have your towel.
    "Don't Panic"
  • shate98shate98
    @SAHM1020 my fav line is "almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea." I use it ALL the time with food, tea or otherwise.
  • Katescrazymom

I think that the first ones were the best, too.  Do you know how rare it is to find people who get that reference??

I'm a geek.  I have a brain full of obscure trivia that is of no practical use at all.  I <3 history. 

I'm more fantasy then sci-fi. 

I have passed my genes on, too.  DD is 4 and although she knows they are not real, really wants to see a unicorn and a fairy.  It drives my very practical dh nuts sometimes, even though he appreciates scientific knowledge.

• VegantasticVegantastic

@shate98

"Do you have any idea how much damage this bulldozer would suffer if I were to just let it roll over you?"

"No. How much?"

"None at all"

"Don't Panic"
  • shate98shate98
    lol @SAHM1020 now I'm jonesing to watch that movie tonight.

@Katescrazymom I love fantasy too. I actually found a copy of the Last Unicorn, which is out of print, or course. LOVE LOTR. I <3 history too. Just went to Gettysburg and looking forward to the civil war 150 this year and the Baltimore of Baltimore 200 next year. Too early to tell if DS2 will geek out like me, but he's already a mythbuster fan, so there's something.
  • ChristyJChristyJ
    I am raising a mini-nerd, but I don't think I am so much.  I might have a few nerd-like qualities, but nothing on you guys!  I really need a nerdy SM or SD nearby to give my kid pointers, because I am at a loss!
    Imperfect and proud of it.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    @SAHM1020 I think he has read an illustrated novel version and I have told him about them often enough. Lol. Always know where your towel is. I do. Dirk Gently and the holistic dectective agency , is good too . I knew my ex was cool when unpacking his books he had a leather bound copy of the first three Hitchhiker series. :x
    I have read almost all of the Star Wars books. , not some of the ones that have come out in the last few years though. I cried sooooo much when they killed Chrwbaccka !!! :(( I loved that furry guy !!! I even read the kids ones so I could keep up with Leai's twins !
    The only cons we have been to are smaller local ones. Want to go to the bigger ones but it never works out.
    Stbxh helped his friend open a comic book store ages ago. He has two store fronts now , one comics and figures and the other games and cards. Games as in D&D and Magic: the Gathering. They always have some kind of game going on.
    DS 12 if asked what is favorite number is he will either say Pi or infinity. Lol
    Yep I am a geek and raising geek kids.
    yea I am geek !!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Oh I read all of the Dragon Riders of Pern too !
    yea I am geek !!
  • battibatti
    My nerdiness mostly stems from muppets. And monsters. Yep. Monsters and muppets get me all boned up.
    I am talking Jim Henson style, but not that Kermit the Frog shizzz. Hate Miss Piggy. Think more on the lines of The Dark Crystal and the Labyrinth. My 2 faves of ALL TIME.
    Monsters, obviously zombies, vampires, werewolves... but really any awesome creature with great make up effects. I've always wanted to do costumes/special effects make up.
    OOO I'm obsessed with aliens and ghosts too. Is that nerdy??

Ps I read comic books, but only zombies and Batman.

SMSM_s_5

• momofdbbmomofdbb
    I loved Dark Crystal !! I love vampires too but not the sparkly type ! Lol.
    yea I am geek !!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Oh, we're DEFINITELY into fairies and unicorns here...I decorated dd's room with garden/flower fairies and butterflies, and when (if) I can afford it, plan to do a fairy garden outside her bedroom.

and I so want to see the Fairy River in Scotland and the Fairy Gardens in Maine.

More into fairy and witchy stuff than vampires, though...

And, I think its the supreme of huberous to think we are the only intelligent beings in the universe...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    @BellaBefana according the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, we aren't even the most intelligent beings on our planet. We're third after mice and dolphins lol
    "Don't Panic"
  • BlessieBlessie
    I play Plathfinder.
  • battibatti
    @momofdbb I got my kids into the dark crystal, OMG its just the BEST, I could watch it daily...
    LOL I don't like the sparkly ones either but I do watch those damn movies at least once.. I was talked into reading the books, so I'm seeing it through haha

@bellabefana my mom is OBSESSED with unicorns! My bro and I each designed unicorn tats for her xD

SMSM_s_5

• BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Are you all talking about the Peter Beagle The Last Unicorn?  Amazon has quite a lot of them in print...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • Lakegirl34
    I ordered Sci-Fi channel just to watch the Firefly reunion and will cancel it next month.
    I can recite Star Wars beginning to end( of course only 4, 5 and 6). I walked down the aisle to my wedding to the Star Wars theme. My favorite books are the Hobbit and LOTR series. I got straight a's in school too. I used to play Magic and Dungeons and Dragons. There's more but I can't give all my secrets away.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I love LOTR !!
    yea I am geek !!
  • battibatti
    @Bellabefana OMG how did I forget to mention that one ??!! My kids listen to the book on tape (found this treasure at Good Will xD xD )

SMSM_s_5

• VegantasticVegantastic

Any of you nerd-a-licious mamas out there read the Song of Fire and Ice series? Or watch Game of Thrones?

Pinned Image

"Don't Panic"
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    We listened to The Graveyard Book by Neal Gainman ( spelling??) as a family, the kids loved it !!! Nobody Owens. :) Good memories.
    yea I am geek !!
  • shate98shate98
    @BellaBefana I got a copy back in the early 2000's when you couldn't find them anywhere. Possibly they are out there now. Haven't looked- I have a copy!
  • SerendipitySerendipity
    Blessie said:

I play Plathfinder.

Role playing geeks, right here! My sons are Jedis in training. in fact, dh bought my oldest a lightsaber as soon as we knew I was pregnant. He is in an rp podcast and I guest occasionaly.

@SAHM1020- watching got, but only on the first season. Waiting for netflix to get the second season. Tried the books, but couldn't get into them. I may try again fince I like the tv show.

I'm currently writing a fantasy novel, and some day hope to.finish it!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @shate98 but it is that one?
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • shate98shate98
    @BellaBefana the book is yes. The movie is what I'm talking about (based on that book). All star cast of voices, plus the music is by the 80s group America.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @shate98, just ordered the DVD, Amazon has it for $4.77!  I'm assuming its the Jeff Bridges one...that Beagle wrote the screenplay for himself?
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • shate98shate98
    @BellaBefana yes that's it. Love Amazon. If you've never seen it- it's awesome. Kinda dark- think Dark Crystal and Labrynth. Really great movie.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @lakegirl34 - did you read my comment above? Did you march to The Throne Room theme from ANH?
  • KrabbyKay
    Hmm. I must be one too. Love LOTR. Read it (among much else) to my children for bedtime stories...hey, they could keep up & they loved it! Kids get more than you think!!!
    Love Star Wars. Love Dark Crystal & Labyrinth, and Princess Bride too (apropos of nothing, I know, but I can recite the whole damn movie. Isn't that pretty nerdy???) MY kids are straight A nerds. So was I. That book thing happens to me, AND I HATE IT! LOL!!
    Ummmmm...sigh...this is embarrassing....I also play LOTRO. I let my kids play it on my account. *hiding under the bed embarrassed*
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    When i do get a chance to read, I usually finish it in less than a day.  I read a lot when life isn't totally insane.  I enjoy Star Trek, my favorite is DS9.  I'm a grown woman that still collects barbie dolls.
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @krabbykay - I don't play, but I think that's awesome!
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    love lotr's too and harry potter.
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    My DH won't watch or read Harry Potter. I think he's being a stubborn ass.
  • KrabbyKay
    Oh yeah! Don't forget Harry Potter! Me too! So. I'm sure y'all noticed I'm new. Couldn't figure out HOW to post a new thread, if someone tells me I'll post the one. 
    So here's a great nerdy night, I think. Get my kidlets (DDalmost12 & DSalmost8) off to bed. Now that we live in a real house, they have their OWN ENTIRE AREA that is as big as our old house, DOWNSTAIRS!!! HOORAY!!! Let in my 3 humongous dogs who think they should tear around like idiots and harrass the cats for a minute. GEEZ!!!! Grab some wine, go park my fat ass next to DH who is likely playing CoD, and play my game!!! Or same thing but read. Totally dorky huh!!! I'm easily entertained, I guess. Or we have gotten into watching The Tudors. Ugh, I'm nerding myself out just typing this!!!
    I'm a total Princess Bride nerd.  Most of my family is, too.  We were all together once, and everyone but my dad could quote the entire movie.  He'd never even HEARD of it.  He just sat there looking at us like we were nuts.
    KrabbyKay, if you will go to the main boards page, there's a "Start a New Discussion" button right above the listing of categories (under the picture of the gift) on the right side of the page.  Click the button and go to town!  And welcome.  And now you have something else to do while your DH plays CoD!

EDIT: It's on this page, too.  Just scroll until you see the gift, look under it. 
  • KrabbyKay
    BAAA HAHAHAHA!!! I try not to torture people with that. There are some other movies and whatnot that I can do that about, as well. Some books. You know the sort of thing! I try to seem as normal as possible. But....have you been somewhere where some nonbeliever says something like "inconceivable" and you just.can't.restrain yourself!!!
    I'm totally all hot to go to a convention, I think that would be SOOOO COOOOL I even have my outfit earmarked on Pyramid! For like you know if I ever win the lottery and ... well ... all that.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    My youngest loved reciting Vinzinni's lines. Too effing cute! (he's in another phase now)
  • acidaliaacidalia
    Im there with you all for the most part. :D and my kids are into it also! <3