What do you call your favorite soft drink? Soda? Pop?
  • SammieSammie

As you can see from the map below, there are a few very popular nicknames for soft drinks and they are almost all regional.

This map rings true from my experiences. As an Oregonian, I find that we, myself included, refer to soft drinks as 'pop'. When my relatives form California are visiting and I ask them if they'd like a pop, they look at me like I just requested to smack them in the face. They ALL refer to soft drinks as soda. They always laugh when I say 'pop' like I'm some kind of novelty. 

Anyway, I'm curious, what generic name do YOU use when referring to soft drinks? Based on your experience, is this map true for your area? Tell me!

community-manager

• MorganD
    Coke! I'm a Southerner, everything carbonated is Coke!
  • OUCHOUCH
    I used to say coke, the map very true for this area. Now I usually say soda. I have an uncle in Washington state and had a friend from Chicago, both say pop. I always laugh my ass off when I hear it. I don't know why, it just sounds funny to me. 
    I wonder what my brother says now. He is from here (Texas) but lived in Chicago for the past 10 years or so. Hmmmm...
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate." - UNK
    "The amazing thing about life is that you choose what you allow into it, you choose how things affect you, you choose how you react. Happiness is a choice. Make it." - UNK
    "Tattoos don't define the person, the person defines the tattoos." - Me
    “The pain now is part of the happiness then” – CS Lewis
  • pennypenny
    NC born and bred, and I say soda. Though I call my favorite carbonated beverage "beer."
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    Soda in SoCal :)

confessional-manager

"What looks like torture is a time to rejoice
    What sounds like thunder is a comforting voice
    When what is beautiful looks broken and crushed
    And I say I don't know you
    But you say it's finished"
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    Don't laugh...I say diet anything brown

Mary :-)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Pop here in Michigan.
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • piratej101321piratej101321
    coke for me but the funny thing is where i live i should be calling it pop LOL. However everyone i know call their drink coke :-)
  • maycausedizziness
    Pop in Colorado!
  • BeachyBeachy
    Lol @penny! My answer was beer too!
    But I say pop, although I live in SoCal. Prolly bc my dad is from Missouri and he said pop.
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    Pop or soda....
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    Pop! I'm in Pittsburgh. Soda is carbonated water here
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • CrashCrash
    Pop in western Canada.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • Funny I say soda-pop
  • cheesehead4ever
    I grew up near Milwaukee.  Always called it soda.  My parents grew up in Washington state.  They always called them "soft drinks" growing up but switched to soda after moving to Wisconsin.  I live in Minnesota and it's pop here (along with Duck, Duck Grey Duck which is just too messed up to even talk about).  My one DD always says, "Daddy drinks pop and Mommy drinks soda".  I always tease my girls and say, "It's not Minne-pop, it's Minne-soda!"
  • acidaliaacidalia
    I say Pop, Hubby says Soda. lol. 
  • sharkmommy
    Either soda or tonic.

• SammieSammie
    @ohkay, you made your own little combo! I've heard a few people call it that before, but not often. I like it! 

@penny @beachy That made me laugh!! No beer (or wine) for me for about 23 more weeks.... ;)

community-manager

• ChibikoChibiko
    Pop here in Iowa.  :)
    "We all cross over to the dark side at one point. We just all have different temptations" ~MarySunshine

"You were the truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all" ~Death Cab for Cutie
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    NC also. I call it soda & so does everyone else I know *from around here*. Well, some of the older generation tends to call it Coke like the map says.
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    Definitely soda... pop is the sound the can makes when you open it.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• anonymommy
    Soda here in Southern Illinois!
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    southeast Wisconsin, soda of course!
  • cassiemaude
    I am in Michigan and call it pop. But when I worked at a movie theater, I always asked what kind of soda they wanted.
  • SammieSammie
    So far I'm seeing lots of 'soda'. I can't even tell you the last time I heard someone say 'soda' besides when they are ordering a cocktail and they are referring to soda water. It's funny how certain words/sayings catch on in certain areas. 

I've never heard Coke either unless they are referencing coca-cola!

community-manager

• Hopey0_0Hopey0_0
    Coke :) everything in Texas is coke!
  • squishsquish
    Born and raised in Nj and its soda. If its brown and not dr pepper, then it's called coke.

• DemandaDemanda
    Pop in Canada!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • AnonUser34
    We say Pop in Michigan!
  • Marionettevie
    both dh(dh grew up outside of chicago) and i(i grew up here in west tx) say soda.sometimes i say coke, as a blanket for all soft drinks, but its pretty rare. i had a thing with a guy from alaska and he looked at me funny and asked why i called it soda, its pop. lol
  • gumdrop
    soda here
  • KiinuKiinu
    Soda or Tonic... my Gpa called it Tonic allll the time.
  • BradsCrazyMomBradsCrazyMom
    katz_meow said:

Pop! I'm in Pittsburgh. Soda is carbonated water here

Absolutely true.
  • irishlassirishlass
    Here, soda is bread and pop is music. Soda water is a variety of carbonated water.
    I would call a soft drink a fizzy drink! As in, hey, would you like a beer or something fizzy or water? We have coke, diet coke, sprite etc.

Generally we call them soft drinks or fizzy drinks here.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • GritsGrits
    Soft drink or Coke. Used to always be Coke, but that started to confuse my kids when they were fetching my drink from the fridge, so we have to be more specific. :D
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • PrincessPeach
    Soda around the house/casually. If at a restaurant we say Coke/Pepsi/sprite or whatever.
  • Panda

I call it soda here in California. But like PrincessPeach wrote we say coke/pepsi/sprite etc..when out at restaurants.

• slowlylosingit
    Im in Louisiana but lived in new York for 7 years, I say soda and it drives my family crazy
  • shate98shate98
    Coke- anything cola. Soda is generic for all things carbonated. I'm in MD
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • CrashCrash
    @Irishlass That's so cute and appropriate! Fizzy drink. Lol. I love it.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • SammieSammie
    @irishlass @curious Fizzy drink reminds me of Willy Wonka and the fizzy lifting drink!! One of my all time favorite movies :)

community-manager

• SnugglePussSnugglePuss
    I call it soda (from Florida) but everyone here (Michigan) calls it pop. It's funny to hear someone say pop at first.
  • SammieSammie
    That's what I've heard! @snugglepuss Apparently, I thought it was weird when we moved from California to Oregon when I was 8ish. I don't remember that...I always remember calling it "pop", but I do know that everyone who doesn't refer to it that way thinks it is hilarious. ;)

community-manager

• WebosMama
    Soda or Coke here in Florida. My husband is from Maine and says soda.
  • 3GirlsMommy
    I call it pop here in northwest Ohio. It bothers me alittle when people call it soda :)
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    I call it Soda.  My husband's family calls it a "co'drink."
  • bombkittybombkitty
    Coke!

• shannahbananashannahbanana
    Lol, how funny...I moved from Minnesota where it was "pop" to Arizona where its "soda".  When I first moved here and was trying to order something to drink, I would get all pissed off because nobody knew what I was talking about when I asked for a "pop"...my dad had to translate for me, lol
  • crazybroad
    I too moved from the midwest (iowa) to arizona and people at work/school looked at me like i was an idiot when i said i wanted a pop....as for what pop i love? pepsi all the way!!!
  • thismomsamissthismomsamiss
    From NM and I say Coke, completely agree with MorganD.
  • DovahkiinDovahkiin
    Kinda like @irishlass , over here in Australia we call it soft drink or fizzy drink. No one says soda and pop is music. Makes sense to us lol
    Stroke the furry wall