Elf on the Shelf?
  • iritnusiritnus
    Does anyone do Elf on the Shelf? My daughter is 9. I was afraid she was too old for it. But she still believes in Santa ... might be the last year or might be that she's humoring me. I just don't know if I want to drop $30 on a book/doll we might only use for a year or two. But then again it might save some Christmas magic for her.
    My scrapbooking blog: www.scrappingisheartwork.com
    My food blog: www.good-press.blogspot.com
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I was thinking about starting it this year with mine who just turned 4...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • iritnusiritnus
    There are LOTS of ideas on Pinterest for cute things to do with your elf. Maybe that's why I want to do it!
  • Lees

Apparently I am the only one who thinks it's kind of creepy looking doll.

• CrashCrash
    No, no you're not alone, @Lees. Pretty sure there was a thread last christmas about how creepy the Elf looks! Lol.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • acidaliaacidalia
    I dont get what elf on the shelf is. lol. could someone explain it for me :) pretty please! 
  • CinnaCinna
    I'm debating this too!
    Two hearts! Oh baby I'm beating out a samba!
  • flipflop76

It is a little creepy but my kids love it. The problem we have is remember to move it in a different spot! Plus we don't have too many places to choose from.

• ChibikoChibiko
    Nope.  Not doing it.  Creeps me the fuck out.
    "We all cross over to the dark side at one point. We just all have different temptations" ~MarySunshine

"You were the truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all" ~Death Cab for Cutie
  • DreamerDreamer
    haha, I had to google it. Id never heard of it
    There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other. Which one are you?
  • FoulMouthedSailorFoulMouthedSailor
    They skeeve me the fuck out to be honest
    You show the lights that stop me turn to stone, You shine it when I'm alone. And so I tell myself that I'll be strong
    And dreaming when they're gone.
  • lostinthewindlostinthewind
    I was considering doing it this year for my 9&10 year old, but then I realized I do not have enough creativity to do this every night.
  • deviltwinsmommadeviltwinsmomma
    Oh hell yes I am doing this. I have some badass little terrors. They do believe wholeheartedly in Santa.
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • unforgivenunforgiven

@lees Totally not alone, that thing gives me the heebie jeebies.

confessional-manager

"What looks like torture is a time to rejoice
    What sounds like thunder is a comforting voice
    When what is beautiful looks broken and crushed
    And I say I don't know you
    But you say it's finished"
  • pdxmama
    I have no idea what this is! Anybody....
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    image He watches while Santa is away and makes sure your kid doesn't do shady shit. 

confessional-manager

• pdxmama
    Uh... Not in my house he won't! That thing is frigging creep city. I'll just stick with "you do know that Santa can see you right now, right?" and, if that doesn't work... "if you don't knock it off, I'll donate your Christmas presents." is often effective as well!
  • Ckwdjmommy
    I love it . And the kids love it and there pre teens.
  • Ashdawn684Ashdawn684
    My daughters elf showed up yesterday because he was worried about her being on the naughty list with Santa, she has been a little angel today!! It is super creepy looking but it works for now, she is 7
    ~Live life to the fullest, or die trying~
  • cassiemaude
    We put it up on a shelf. I dont make it do little activities or anything... I guess I'm just too lazy for that.
    My 6 yo loves it but the other two (2, 14 mon) dont even know its there.
  • pdxmama
    I just discovered that one of my favorite blogs has a post about these from last year. It's pretty freaking funny!

http://www.peopleiwanttopunchinthethroat.com/2011/12/over-achieving-elf-on-shelf-mommies.html?m=1
  • forkinthehead
    @pdxmama I just red that blog...too funny! I couldn't agree with the author more. I wasn't a Martha Stewart mom and I have never understood those that are. Sure you want to do fun things for your kids and create warm fuzzy memories. My kids are grown and I still haven't admitted that Santa was invented to keep them in line. I spent years weaving packs of lies to keep them on the good list. Why go to an elf when you can go straight to the big guy? Then again they are 30 and 27...if they haven't figured it out by now, I am either brilliant or they will be spending big bucks on therapy as to why I have lied to them all these years.

That elf wouldn't have lasted five minutes in my house. I'd of given it to my dog to shread to her hearts content. Come to think of it, my grandma had those damn elves on her tree...
  • forkinthehead
    Good grief...*read* not red :-)
  • kmetz44kmetz44
    I bought it, it is creepy and once we set it up I do fully expect to wake up to it looming over me with a butcher knife.  BUT if it works, it's worth it
    Im pretty extraordinary in an ordinary way
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    kmetz44 said:

I bought it, it is creepy and once we set it u I do fully expect to wake up to it looming over me with a butcher knife.  BUT if it works, it's worth it

=))

confessional-manager

• iritnusiritnus
    There's a spoof: Elf OFF the Shelf.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Elf-off-Shelf-Christmas/dp/1440527911/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352467480&sr=8-1&keywords=elf+off+the+shelf
    I guess I missed the whole "he watches you for Santa" angle. I thought he was a naughty elf and the fun was looking for him to see where he ended up overnight.
    I'm not so into it now. My kid is good. She doesn't need a spy to enforce her.
  • Last year, my cousin (who is more like my mother as she raised me from the time I was 12 on), sent me the elf for the kids. She didn't send the book. Mine got a kick out of the elf showing up in different places each morning, and looking for him. So, because they enjoyed it, I overlooked the creepy factor.
    Behavior-wise, it may have helped curb attitudes a little bit, but nothing drastic.
    "There's nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time."
  • jetty
    Last year we did it for our son - he was 5 then. He absolutely LOVED it! We had it doing some crazy things like sleeping in a box of tissues, sitting in the freezer because it was like the North Pole, hanging socks all over the Christmas tree, etc. He's already begun speaking about his arrival again this year! I need some new ideas though, LOL. *searches pinterest*
  • image He watches while Santa is away and makes sure your kid doesn't do shady shit. 

Best synopsis EVER.  I want one for my 3 yr old, but we can't afford to eat or pay our bills, so I guess a $30 book & doll is out of the question. 
  • momsaidnomomsaidno
    what if the elf ended up at our new house? we move on the 20th. maybe he will be sitting somewhere when the kids get there?

• momsaidnomomsaidno
    they sell it at target and a movie about the little doll thing

• AKimiBAKimiB
    That thing freaks me right the hell out.
    :|
    SMSM_s_5 photo SMSM_s_5_zps5d122d86.jpg
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    I want to get one!! DS is almost 2, so it's about time to introduce him to Santas little elf helper and hope he stays on the nice list!!!
  • slowlylosingit
    Please I threaten my kids with enough! I would rather make my own elf then spend the money on him!
  • BankMom
    @pdxmama - that blog was hysterical!! I'm glad you shared because I am sooooooooooo bored at work I was thinking of poking my eyes out for fun. Sigh.
    "...and when her feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "Oh, shit! She's awake!"
  • undercoverbanana
    Holy fuck!!!! It looks like krackle!!!! who is somewhere in the attic in 10 grocery bags, in trashbags, in a box, covered with ducktape, who will never be opened. When I find that little fucker, I'm sending him to John zaffis. Shudder. That thing creeps me the fuck out. Say NO.....
    i'm nekkid.
  • ToothfairyToothfairy
    Our elf is Charlie. I love her, because when my little monsters start misbehaving, I just say "Charlie is watching you." It's just more ammo.
  • sharkmommy
    Our elf's name is Sheldon, from the Big Bang Theory.  DD10 and DD7 love it!  They love looking for him every morning, and they are already counting down the days until Thanksgiving, which is when Sheldon comes back for the season.  If the doll thing freaks you out, but you're looking for another plan, I know of someone who convinced their kids that the thermostats in the house were really Santa's cameras to monitor good/bad kids, lol.
  • 3GirlsMommy
    We do Elf on the Shelf here but it is a really cute one that I found at Hobby Lobby for like $4. We started it last year and we told our girls(then ages 3 & 5) why he was at our house. They named him Cecil. We never did anything to crazy with him he would just be in a different location every morning and the girls are not allowed to touch him. He made an appearance about a month ago to remind them that Santa is watching and I think he is going to start showing up more frequently now, maybe 2 or 3 times a week and then everyday in December. They really like waking up in the morning and looking for him.
  • J_mom
    i dunno, if i could find a cute elf, i might would do it... the kids would prolly love it! they are still young... but the one that comes with a book... no! ...

my sister started something last year where santa brings something fun and special for the kids to do each day in december until christmas, and if they arent good, santa wont bring their fun thing to do... apparently that went over pretty well... :)
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    I use my DS as an elf on a shelf. My profile picture is just practice..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • gumdrop
    the elf is the best thing ever imo. My kids love him and they think he tells santa everything. I have even left little notes next to him ( you forgot to brush your teeth before going to bed)  so in the morning the kids would think he did his reporting
  • GingerLynn

Totally creeps me out! lol

• Katescrazymom
    I think the elf that comes with the book is creepy looking.  If I could find a cuter elf (or a boy and a girl, one for each kid) I might do it.  I could just tell them the story.  It sounds like fun, and is just like Santa watching, but a bit more visible for the kids. 
  • cassie77775
    Ours arrived a few days ago via Amazon.  My kids need that visual reminder so we will see how it goes this first year!
  • AnonUser32AnonUser32
    I love it. Adorable. When the kids are older well have to get one.
    Without reason you have Rhythm and Rhyme the type of girl who knows how to have a good time... You take what you want except no for an answer... And I know first hand you're one hell of a dancer... So calling all cars and low and behold you're a real livewire with a heart of gold
  • CherryfriesCherryfries
    That little jerk looks creepy!  Pass!!!
  • LifeofchaosLifeofchaos
    My 6 year old twins would take that elf hostage I just know it.... He'd end up in the trash or thrown outside.... My little buggers are too smart for their own good.
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    I have already terrified my 3y/o enough with threats of the pacifier fairy eventually taking his pacis to all the crying babies, I think this might put him over the edge..creepy lil thing!
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • freedomloverfreedomlover
    I want one! My 3 y.o. will love it, and so will I, if she behaves. I don't think my 18 month old will know what it's about, but still fun!
  • dasnax
    Our elf on the shelf arrives every year just in time for Thanksgiving pie. Only problem is this year I cannot remember whereI put him away at last year.