Its getting chilly out there !!! What are you eating ?
  • FreeToBeMee
    I think at one point we had a thread about crockpot recipes (point me to it if we did) but those are welcome here as well. How about soups ? Favorite or best recipe....GO !!!!
  • BeachyBeachy
    I made a killer potato soup a couple of days ago and it was so easy! I'll try to find the link if you want it.
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    Yeah - I have an AWESOME baked potato soup recipe

Mary :-)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • FreeToBeMee
    YUUUMMMMMMMOOOOO! So good, so creamy, so fattening...but who cares ??? Im a mammal. I need winter blubber! Bring it on!
  • SammieSammie
    I love cold weather foods!! Soups, fresh bread, stews, slow cooker roasts with veggies. YUMMMY! Hoping I can get inspired with something new to try!

community-manager

• DreamerDreamer

Cauliflower and cheese soup.. yummmm

And chilli. A cold day, nothing better than chilli.  Ot stew. 

Damn now Im hungry

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other. Which one are you?
  • FreeToBeMee
    Bread......I love bread. Stupid question - do you have to have a lot of special equipment to make bread ? Like do you HAVE to have a mixer and bread maker ?

Bread...potatoes...cheese...good golly, i have NO IDEA why I cant lose weight!!
  • GritsGrits
    @FreeToBeMee, no you don't need any of those things. The process is just more labor intensive without them.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • FreeToBeMee
    I wanna punch the dough lol. That looks WAY stress relieving.
  • BeachyBeachy
    Hey I just made bread too! Really easy and with no machines. I will get back to you with links to both recipes.
  • Emmasmom04Emmasmom04
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/After-Thanksgiving-Turkey-Soup

I always make that after thanksgiving, it is the best soup I have ever had
  • iritnusiritnus
    I've been making this pumpkin-black bean chili a lot.
    http://good-press.blogspot.com/2011/11/black-bean-n-pumpkin-chili.html
    My scrapbooking blog: www.scrappingisheartwork.com
    My food blog: www.good-press.blogspot.com
  • BunnyBunny
    Could some please share their potato soup recipe :) I tried to make one but it was so awful i dumped it outside in the ditch.....
    Crazy? I was crazy once...they locked me in a room with no windows. That drove me nuts. Nuts! Squirrels eat nuts. They drive me crazy. Crazy! I was crazy once..
  • Mandarin
    My family's favorites are pea soup and then sausage, kale, tortellini soup. Yum.
  • FoulMouthedSailorFoulMouthedSailor
    Rice with vegetable soup poured on top, with some soda bread on the side, quick and cheap, plus filling
    You show the lights that stop me turn to stone, You shine it when I'm alone. And so I tell myself that I'll be strong
    And dreaming when they're gone.
  • GritsGrits
    Bunny said:

Could some please share their potato soup recipe :) I tried to make one but it was so awful i dumped it outside in the ditch.....

@Bunny, mine's easy and awesome!

6-8 peeled chopped potatoes
    1 small onion, diced
    4 cups half and half
    1/4 cup butter
    Salt & pepper to taste

Put potatoes and onions in stockpot and fill with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Mash potatoes slightly in the water. Add remaining imgredients, return to a boil and serve immediately. Garnish with cheese, sour cream, bacon, green onion--anything you like and then get your grub on!
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • BeachyBeachy
    http://steamykitchen.com/168-no-knead-bread-revisited.html
    recipe for easy bread

I cant find the potato soup recipe but @grits' looks good!

• LoveLove

community-manager

• cassiemaude
    I make a really easy potato soup in the crockpot:
    1 bag hashbrowns (square southern style)
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    2 cans chicken broth
    seasonings... I use a little salt and pepper and some onion powder
    1 softened block of cream cheese

Put all except cream cheese in crock pot. Cook on low for like 5-6 hours. During last half hour, put in your cream cheese and stir every 5 minutes. I serve it with a little shredded cheese and some bacon on top.
  • Ckwdjmommy
    So going to try the recipe for potato soup. Will let you know how it turns out.
  • episcopal
    DD18 is home this week and DW is making her wonderful chili this weekend.  YUM!!!

When eating out, omelets and skillets taste especially good this time of year.
  • jetty
    I really like to make a nice hearty veggie chili (which I made a few days ago. MMMM) or a potatoe soup. 
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    Here is my baked potato soup recipe (can't have too many recipes, I hope)
    2 russet potatoes, washed and dried

1 ½ cups of fat free chicken broth

1 ½ cups of 1% milk

Salt & freshly cracked pepper

½ cup light sour cream

10 tbsp of reduced fat shredded cheddar

6 tbsp chopped chives

3 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled

0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-border-insideh:none;mso-border-insidev:none"> height:207.4pt"> height:207.4pt"> Microwave potatoes (or bake in oven) til done. Cool and peel. Put chicken broth, milk and potatoes in large pot and bring to a boil.  Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.  Add sour cream, half the chives and salt and pepper and cook on low another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and ladle one cup into bowl. Top each serving with 2 tbsp cheese, remaining chives and bacon.    {weight watchers points – 5 per one cup}
    I double this, so we can have lunch the next day

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    Sorry for the crazy formatting!

• crazybroad
    awesome veggie/beef soup (make a BIG pot)
    1 chuck roast
    1 small head cabbage
    1 can green beans
    1 can corn
    1 can small peas
    2 potatoes diced
    4-5 carrots diced
    1 can dices tomatoes
    2 beef boullion cubes
    tomato juice

boil the roast, cool and shred. add carrots and potatoes to the beefy water and cook until almost tender.  add the boullion, can veg and cabbage. add more water and tomato juice to taste and salt and pepper. its super easy and sooooo good. we just leave it on the stove on low and people will eat it all day and its even better the next day.

we also love to make chili, goulash, corn chowder and chicken pot pies when its chilly. 

• katz_meowkatz_meow
    My favorites.

Meatloaf and mashed

Pot roast

Chili

Corned beef and cabbage
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • IWISHIWEREKBIWISHIWEREKB
    Butternut Squash soup with warm bread!!!! YUMMMMMMMMM!
  • slowlylosingit
    Gumbo any kind. Redbean is a favorite. Just ask if you would like the recipe!
  • slowlylosingit
    Also love chicken noodle soup! Its the one soup my kids will eat
  • slowlylosingit
    Corn and shrimp soup is also a favorite in my home! It's a nice warmer upper!
  • GingerLynn
    I cook alot more during cooler weather.I put my crockpot in overdrive lol.Lots of soups,stews,comfort foods.I have had so much homemade bread lately i swear i have gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks lol
  • mamaofboysmamaofboys
    Anything that uses the oevn to help keep the house warm!

I'm going to attempt Buffalo Chicken Soup today, but I also make spaghetti sauce, baked potato chowder, spinach & garlic soup once it gets cooler. Gotta love those comfort foods!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present.
  • gumdrop
    Lentil soup on a cold cold day is always the best
  • Marionettevie
    we ate chunky chilli today. with loads of cheese. mmmmmm it was windy as fuck and really chilly today
  • BeachyBeachy
    My dh made sinigang today!
    It's a soup of calamamsit (like little lemons) pork boc Choy potatoes and wee bit of onion and garlic, sooo good.
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    katz_meow said:

My favorites.

Meatloaf and mashed

Pot roast

Chili

Corned beef and cabbage

I totally want meatloaf now....
    I think I'm going make meatloaf tomorrow... or I guess today, since it's afterwards midnight.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• irishlassirishlass
    I want a gumbo recipe! The irish are king of the comfort food. POTATOES!! Lol! I make a lot of cosy food. Pasta with winterveg and cream cheese.
    Leek and potato soup.
    Veg broth (it aint real broth unless there's barley in it!)
    Soda bread! Awesome with everything, particularly a fry.
    Ulster fry; fried egg, pork sausage, bacon, fried mushrooms, black pudding, soda bread, potato bread and toast. HEAVEN!! That's a sunday morning breakfast. Then later in the day you gotta have sunday dinner of; roast chicken, roast potatoes, cauliflower an broccoli cheese, roast carrots, parsnips and turnips and GRAVY. Like, real gravy.
    Also shepherds pie, cottage pie, steak and kidney pie, chicken and ham pie, chicken and broccoli bake...

I adore winter food. Seriously.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Im making beef stew in the crock pot today. I will probably get some rolls or a loaf of bread to go with it. Potato soup sounds good, Im gonna have to try that.
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • BeachyBeachy
    Dh has a pork roast in the crockpot, smells yummy!
    @irishlass I am coming over for dinner tonight!
  • BeautifulDefianceBeautifulDefiance
    @bunny. Here is olive gardens Zuppa Toscana recipe

Clean and cut 7-10 potatoes in half the slice into 1/4 inch slices. Brown 1-2 lbs of Italian sausage. Put potatoes, sausage, 1 large diced onion, 1 cup of crumbled bacon bits, 1 clove of garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes, 5 cups of water, 8 cups of chicken stock into a crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Stir in one cup of heavy cream and 2 handfuls of Kale. Let cook for 45 more minutes.

Enjoy!!
    I prefer not to think before speaking. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

SMSM_s_5

• acidaliaacidalia
    We had some Stew. :) 
  • CrashCrash
    What I made a couple of weeks ago, and am making tonight, is basically beef stew in a yorkshire pudding crust. Even the kids really really liked it.

Sweat your veggies (carrots, onions, celery plus any other veg you like) in some butter/oil/olive oil/whatever fat you like to use. Add some chopped up left over roast beef (this is always a 'leftover beef' recipe for me), stir together until hot. (add whatever seasonings you like, garlic, steak seasoning, whatever) throw in some flour, quarter to half cup, stir for a bit....then add left over gravy or saved beef drippings.

While your beef stew is coming together, preheat the oven to 450. Put a heavy skillet in the oven with about a 1/2 cup of butter. When the butter is melted, pour in a yorkshire pudding mix. (I cup of flour, 1/2 tsp salt, two eggs, and a cup of milk.) Carefully pour the hot beef stew into the middle of the skillet, and smooth it around.

Bake for a while. Until the crust is golden brown anyway.

(Uhm this is really kind of how I cook. A bit of this, a bit of that, some of this..whatever you like. Lol. Sorry.)
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • Mmmmm, ramen noodles. What? It could pass for a comfort food! :)
    We are ALL Stayingalivemoma's!!
    stayingalivemoma.hubpages.com
    stayingalivemoma.wordpress.com
  • pennypenny
    Too much.
  • deviltwinsmommadeviltwinsmomma
    @stayingalivemoma yes that is total comfort food!
    It muthafuckin 80 degrees where I am.
    We are expecting a cold front Tuesday in south Texas that means its going be 60 degrees...
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • CrashCrash
    It was -27 C this morning here. Lol at a 60 degree cold front....
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    Easy Chickn n Dumplings:
    1 rotissiere chicken, meat taken off.
    2 cans refrigerated biscuits
    1 bag mixed veggies (or whatever veggies you have)
    1 box chicken broth
    4 cups water
    Salt, pepper

Boil broth, water and chicken bones (trust me, it adds the 'home cooked' flavor to the broth) for about 30 min, remove bones.  Stir in chicken meat (diced), veggies.  Quarter biscuits and toss with some flour, dump in the pot and stir.  Simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally to break up the dumplings.  

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • AnonUser37
    We just stocked the meat freezer this weekend annnnnnd first up is beef stew. And then later this week i plan to make homemade baked beans with bacon and spaghetti sauce with pork chops in it. Both in mass amounts so we can freeze them and eat it for a few months.
  • cheshirecheshire

My favorite winter recipe is bread and cabbage soup, I know sounds kinda funky but it is AMAZING! Its a recipe by Jamie Oliver so you know its good :-)

• gramalibbygramalibby
    Man that veggie soup sound yummy , I have this snarky thing where I cannot stand potatoes in my soup .....I love potatoe soup and head over heels w onion soup just taters in my veggie , thank you
  • undercoverbanana
    I wish it was chilly here. 81 fucking degrees today. I wanted to spray for mosquitos and fleas, but I have to rake a wet yard first. Found a motherfucking catapillar eating my mint. Can't mow or man vac because I am waiting for at and t to come and bury the lines. I'm making pizza for the kids today, and will be doing grilled chicken salads and such this week.
    i'm nekkid.