Taking away the pacifier
  • TorturedbyTWINSTorturedbyTWINS
    I have looked and looked and I haven't found this topic in the archives, so please redirect me if you've seen it before because I don't know how this issue HASN'T been covered...  My 19 month old boys are being weaned from their wubbanubs starting NOW, as in, they are currently screaming at the top of their lungs instead of taking a nap.  It's breaking my heart but I really need to stick to my guns and stop this habit.  How long is this crying at bed time gonna last?  Days, weeks?  Shed some light for me.  Tips, well wishes, drink mixes (for me of course) all welcomed!!
  • bombkittybombkitty
    Three days of hell and then it will be better.  I promise!  And really get RID of them, so you're not tempted.  I also had success with cutting the tip off the pacifier, my DD didn't want it anymore after that.  She kept taking it out and looking at it, like WTF???

• mamaofboysmamaofboys
    I took ODS paci away when he turned 2. I explained that he was now a big boy and we buried them in the backyard with some seeds that would turn into magical flowers. I think we had a rough time for 3 or 4 days/nights. As long as you stick to your guns and keep them away it shouldn't be too long. I'd invest in some ear plugs for the time being though.
    Do they have loveys to snuggle with? Maybe giving them a new friend to snuggle with instead of their pacis will help, too. Good luck!!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present.
    good idea on the new loveys... considering cutting the binkies off of the stuffed animals so they still have their friend, just not the binkie.  Scared of fully committing I guess.  Me=SUCH A WIMP!!
  • momma2A
    Definitely get rid of them! So tempting to want to give in. We took DD away just after her first bday, we cut it and gave it back. She didn't like it anymore. We did it at bedtime so she was good and tired and she cried for maybe an extra 10-15 min that night.

Hope it doesn't last too long for you, it's not easy listening to the screaming.
    I'm doing it... I'm cutting them (the pacifiers).  My heart is freaking pounding and I feel like a complete wuss.  LMAO... I need to join pacifiers anonymous.  They have been crying for an hour and 12 minutes....  If it doesn't stop soon I will be crying too...
  • mommyof2_76
    Sorry not much help. A few weeks after my son turned 2 some of them got a hole or he bit a hole but either way he said they were broken and threw them in the trash. I guess I was lucky.
  • RagingRachRagingRach
    DD would not give hers up. When she was about 3 we tied them to balloons and let them float away. After that there was no problems, well except she stopped taking naps. I wish I did it earlier, so she would have gotten used to naps without! It might be hard, but they will adapt. Good luck!
  • shate98shate98
    we were at the dentist this morning. we also have to stop the paci- he just turned 2. She didn't want me to cut the tips off (because it's a choking hazard, altho will probably still do it). But she did recommend going to build-a-bear and putting the paci inside of the bear so they get to keep it.

it's an interesting idea. don't know if I'll go down that path. I might just have the paci fairy come and take them to give to new babies that need them in exchange for a present ;)
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
    So it got very quiet in their bedroom and I couldn't quite see them on the monitor so I peak in there, one boy sits straight up and starts whining and I smell a full diaper...  of course it's the sleeping kid that filled his pants!  My boys get horrible rashes if they aren't changed immediately, so I changed him and now they are both awake and crying some more.  It's gonna be one of those days.... I wish I liked to drink, or we had tv to drown them out, or my hubby could deal with this as a belated bday present.  LOL
  • shate98shate98
    @TorturedbyTWINS I'm sending good thoughts your way to help you get through today.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    http://www.amazon.com/Bye-Bye-Pacifier-Golden-Naptime-Tale/dp/0307123308

we read this book every day for a year before the bubba fairy came and took her bubba away. of course I read it bye bye bubba cause thats what she called her paci. I was very weak when it came to taking it away. let it go way to long!!! best of luck to you
    I am me, and I am loved
  • We took his away way to late 2.5 and it was actually about a month ago. We said we "lost" them he would periodically cry for them for about 3 days then he had a major meltdown asking for one the 4th day finally said see threw them in the trash. It was the end.

Whatever you do don't go back at all
  • SasafrasSasafras
    I have a pacifier addict, I did stop for 4 days and she was so good, then I brought a baby around (baby sat) and that's when mommy couldn't take it anymore.
    Ok, I cut the ends off, turns out that really pissed em off.  The relief they had at seeing them was quick lived when they figured out they were broken.  DH got home, I asked him to sit with on and pat his back or help console him so he could go to sleep.  Within minutes we were back to screaming babies.  We decided to let them out of their rooms, I just fed them lunch and now I am going to put them back to bed to see if they will eventually crash.  The screaming has been so bad I am sticking with it.  We are NOT doing this again and in 3 days they will be fine.  I'm pretty determined now.  I will sit down and cry with them if I have to but there is no going back.  I have taken the binky drug away for good!  :-D  Nap time attempt #2....
  • stinkersmommystinkersmommy
    I tried at 18 mos failed then at 2 failed finally at 3 he met my dad for the first time and he was jokingly saying lil boys with pacis don't get to go to fun places and then the next am we went to Disneyworld and he handed his to the paci bandit (Grandpa) as admission to Disney and never looked back it was kinda cool I didn't have to deal with it!!

Well we finally fell asleep.  Only 5 more naps/bedtimes to go and hopefully we will be through the worst of it.  This will also alleviate them waking up and crying because they can't find their pacifier at night.  I will get more sleep and everyone will be better off if we can just get through this lil rough patch!  4 hours of crying and screaming....  Hopefully tonight it won't be as bad. 
  • GisleyandHank

I let DD sleep with her pacifier until she was 3, but she couldn't take it out anywhere. At 3 we explained that she was too old, and she got over it. I figured school-age was too old. A lot of people told us that it would ruin her teeth but her doctor said it wouldn't be a problem unless she used it past getting adult teeth, at which point most kids have outgrown the sucking instinct. Since she didn't take it out of bed it didn't affect eating or talking. And we could avoid getting dirty looks out in public.

Well ladies, we've been doing pretty good!  The first day they went to sleep for actual night time super easy because they were so tired from the crying earlier in the day.  We're all kinda coming down with a cold, so that is also lessening the resistance and today there was minor crying for nap time and almost none for bedtime.  So, 2 days and we're doing pretty well.  I'd say it's safe to say we've crossed the bridge into no pacifier territory!  Next bridge is potty training and since we just shit in the tub tonight, that bridge is still far far away....  
  • cassiemaude
    My daughter is 2.5 and still uses one. She was doing good only using it at bedtime but now she will steal her baby brothers (14months) out of his bed.
    My oldest never used one at all.
    I guess anything is better than my nephew--- he just got rid of his over the summer and turned 5 in Sept.
    In the end 3 days of whining and crying at bed time beats me packing pacifiers wherever we go and tearing the house apart to find the one that they like...  I wish I did it at 12 months when I took away bottles, they seemed far less determined at that age!  
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    Ugh I'm terrified of this. Jameson will be 3 in a couple of weeks and only uses them in bed.  He actually doesn't even really like to suck on them anymore, just to HAVE them (all half dozen or so of them) like a favorite stuffed toy or blankie.  It's going to break his heart!
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe