Does anyone with kids have a clean house out there?
  • cheesehead4ever

How does anyone manage to have a clean house?  I am not obsessive, but I am so sick of wiping down surfaces, cleaning up the clutter and six hours later it looks like a tornado/dust storm went through.  Even the basics, such as wiping down the shower more often than ever six months or scrubbing the floors, never seem to get done as there isn't time. 

My kids are 12 and 8 and of course, could do some work, but it is already a never ending battle just to get the rooms cleaned and get their stuff put away around the house.  My 12 year old has been "cleaning" her room for the last two weeks and I never see the difference.  Plus by the time I get home from work, we get through homework, reading time, dinner, dishes, bedtime, etc I just want to collapse.  I could be cleaning all evening, but then no time is spent with the kids.

Any wonderful ideas out there?

• Crotchgazer
    No help from me, just wanted to say I am in the same situation. My house is trashed, I just cannot get ahead
  • angrymama
    Nope,  It's like shoveling shit agaist the tide.  I saw someone on FB  post a picture that said.  Cleaning  your house with your kids around is like brushing your teeth with a mouthful of oreos... pointless.  So try.
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    Oh boy I could've written this. Except in my house its more the h that's a slob than the kids
    Lol
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • shannahbananashannahbanana
    Omg, its not just me???  My kids are 17, 8 and 2.  And the husband is just as bad as any of them.  Damn slobs...drives me nuts.  My 8 year old has been "cleaning" her room too now for 2, maybe 3 weeks.  That consists of shoving crap under her bed, in her closet, and bringing out basket loads of clothes.  Dirty or not.  Like moms don't have anything better to do, right?
  • deviltwinsmommadeviltwinsmomma
    Nope, mine  isnt clean either. I just turn off the lights now. At least in the dark you dont see the mess.
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    Clutter is our biggest problem. Our house is two floors and finished basement. We spend most of our waking moments on the first floor, so it's a lot more cluttered. And somehow, knock on wood, minus the dog getting pissed off and revenge peeing we manage to keep it clean.
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • irishlassirishlass
    Nope. It aint happening. Maybe when my son moves out. I doubt it.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • LoveLove
    Our kids (that live here) are 11, 12, and 3, and then there's me and DH.

The biggest problem? Dh and the 3 year old.

My biggs have chores, which they do pretty diligently, and I try to keep things in order, but those 2 are the single biggest contributor to our house looking like a tornado blew through it.

My husband and I share a bed, but the bed is the ONLY thing of mine in our bedroom. I have a separate room down the hall for all my things (clothes, jewelry, STUFF lol) so I refuse to gather up his clothes like some kind of smelly scavenger hunt. I just don't do it. We have a hamper in every.single.room, bed and bath, in this house. I shouldn't HAVE to "gather up" the dirty clothes.

I shit you not--Wednesday, he got pissed because he couldn't find his hoodie before work, and I laughed and went back to sleep, and he gathered up all his dirty clothes in a huff and dumped them in front of the washer. (His hoodie was actually hanging IN THE CLOSET. Shocker, I know. Who'd have thought to look THERE right?) And seriously? There was EIGHT LOADS of laundry. EIGHT. Just of his clothes. And those were just the ones in the bedroom. I couldn't tell you how many pairs of socks and underwear I pick up off the floor or dig out from under the couch daily.

And Spawn? Oh my Jeezus. Don't get me started.

There are 2 times a day when this house is what I'd consider "presentable"... like if company came over, I'd be all HEY! Come on IN! and that is around 2 am, after everyone has gone to bed, and I've straightened up and swept and mopped the floor, and in the mornings BEFORE anyone is up for school or work. I have no idea what is SO fucking complicated about putting clothes in the hamper or God forbid- putting the cap back on the toothpaste... but there you have it. And then Spawn gets up and all hell breaks loose. 

community-manager

• SasafrasSasafras
    I choose one room a day to clean, the rest I ignore, so my kitchen may be spotless, the rest of the house looks like a garbage heap.
  • cheesehead4ever
    Well you really aren't providing me with any solutions, but I at least feel like I am not alone.  It just seems like people I know have clean houses!
  • VegantasticVegantastic

I have no solutions, but lots of sympathy! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • LoveLove
    Well you really aren't providing me with any solutions, but I at least feel like I am not alone.  It just seems like people I know have clean houses!

Oh SOLUTIONS!
    You want solutions...

Hmmmmmmmm

Nah

I got nuthin...

LOL

Containment? That's the best I got right now.

Toys are NOT allowed in all rooms. Only in the playroom! (Or , er, new house, no playroom, so the bedroom of whatever kid is the problem LOL)

No food in any room, except the one designated for eating! EVER.

The only drinks allowed in any other room besides the kitchen (where our dining table is) is WATER or Sprite. Clear shit, you know? I'm tired of trying to clean up sticky stains off the floor and/or the furniture. (not that Sprite isn't sticky, but at least it doesn't stain, you know?)

Everyone has assigned areas and daily tasks, so if no one gets to say Why isn't this done? Who's supposed to do this? This isn't MY job. Etc etc etc. (Mommmmmmmmaaaa! I don't have any clean socks! Well then I GUESS you should oughtta put your dirty shit in the hamper then, huh? I can't wash it, if it's under your bed!)

community-manager

• LoveLove
    @cheesehead4ever have you tried Flylady?

community-manager

• cheesehead4ever
    Love said:

I couldn't get past the having a clean sink every night!
  • CrashCrash
    Oh the house is cluttered? Lol. My kids tidy. I have different ways of doing this, depending on what kind of mood they're in. Today it was "Everyone pick up 30 things that are out of place." Sometimes if they're in a good mood, I'll say "I want the tv room and living room cleaned" and they'll sort it out themselves. Sometimes I'll say "So and so, clean the tv room...and by clean, I mean tidy, dust and sweep. So and so, tidy the living room." (The tv room is smaller, and *usually* has less mess....the living room contains all the crafts and is a bigger space to play in.)

This obviously happens on the weekend, but it at 12 and 8, your kids are more than old enough to tidy. My 8 yo son is terrible, but he's good natured about it. The girls are much better at staying on task...but generally are more prone to arguing.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • LoveLove

Love said:

I couldn't get past the having a clean sink every night!

HAHAHAHAHAHA! You know.....

Once, I stacked ALL the dirty dishes very neatly in the oven, and cleaned off the counters and wiped everything down, and washed out the sink. JUST to accomplish the clean the sink thing LOL hey, it looked GOOD! And I was much more motivated to get out a small stack of dishes to wash the next morning, because the rest of the kitchen was clean.

community-manager

• Marionettevie
    i am in the same boat, and only have one ds.... dh is like 5 of them put together. i shit you not...... he has SO MUCH SHIT. i can fit all of my shit..... stuffed...into my dresser...... he can only fit half his shit into his dresser.....and that with the winter stuff in a box shoved in the corner of the bedroom.... then in the baby room..... i have ONE square in the hutch with my crap. baby stuff is on top of it..... and the rest of this like 5ft by4ft thing is filled with his shit.... closet. i have one shelf with books for the kid. another shelf with a little of my shit and the rest of the closet is filled with his shit. the living room......most of his shit is everywhere. and then he comes home and yells at me when the kid has a fucking screwdriver or soemthing, but who fucking left it out?? obviously not me... i have a craft desk and i tell him weekly to stop leaving his shit on top of it.... and then i have to clear everything of his off of it and he just puts in on the computer desk. i clean the computer desk weekly and by the next day it looks like shit again... usually all the shit he piled on it is making the laptop almost fall off the front of the desk.... the entertainment system thing we have had only one console of mine...shoved into the back corner.... the rest has his shit. my floor has got toys everywhere. and i tried cleaning it at night for a while but sometimes i amtoo tired to even look at it. and i leave it... it will look the same the next morning so fuck it.  the kitchen is just the most horrible place..... i dont have ANY counter space. i am not kidding. its a tiny little piece of shit and my  "counter" is the top of our deep freezer.... so if anything is out of order it makes the whole place look like hell. i think the bathroom is the cleanest place in my whole apt.... the less cluttered because there is barely enough space to be in there.... and with dh making ME do it all(he is never here, but still manages to leave shit behind him everywhere!) i just cant keep up...... unless i dont pay any attention to our son all day and i never leave the house..... thats the only way i might be able to make this place not embarrass me. oh and thats with me not getting anything dirty while i am at it. so no food prep/cooking. no kid playing in the living room and no one that has worked on a car all day coming in and touching everything in the bathroom with BLACK hands and leaving prints everywhere. its the only way.... i tell him all the fucking time too. "you are gonna help me this weekend" guess what his help is? sitting in the living room watching tv, yelling NO NO NO every time the child attempts to fuck something up....i get that he goes to school and works always but fuck.... im not a fucking maid.
  • episcopal
    DD18 (our only) is off to college and it's still hard to keep the house clean.  So much damned paper coming in and out.
  • Mommyof5
    My mother in law never had a dirty house with anyone there. But I think she actually has a sponge glued to her hand.
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    @Xfilesrules1013 my MIL is the same. But she always tells me "when the kids are grown, you've got nothing but time to clean. It will be there waiting. Go play with the kids" Seriously, I should have it tattooed on my forehead lol
    "Don't Panic"
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Nope. Mine is eternally messy/cluttery. I hate it but most days Im too lazy to do anything about it. Nobody ever visits so Im not that worried about it.
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • eappleeapple
    Mine is a hot mess and I perfect others' homes for a living :s check out the messy house thread, you'll feel better!
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • AnonUser32AnonUser32
    My house is pretty clean. We have a 23mo and a 3mo. I make dh do a lot since hed prefer to clean over help w the kids and not doing anything isn't an option. He doesn't play video games, he isn't out w his friends, he is usually home w me. He knows I'm serious when I tell him to do something and he knows he doesn't want to piss me off, ill detach his dick and shove it up his ass, and he knows I will.
    Without reason you have Rhythm and Rhyme the type of girl who knows how to have a good time... You take what you want except no for an answer... And I know first hand you're one hell of a dancer... So calling all cars and low and behold you're a real livewire with a heart of gold
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    It's not clean today. Really not. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    Oh @upsmanbabiesx2... give it a few years lol
    "Don't Panic"
  • AnonUser32AnonUser32
    @sahm1020 right! Dd already knows how to pick up her toys and ds will be expected to do the same. And I'd prefer to do the real cleaning so they will have the basic unload the dishes, sort the laundry, take care of the furbaby stuff.
    Without reason you have Rhythm and Rhyme the type of girl who knows how to have a good time... You take what you want except no for an answer... And I know first hand you're one hell of a dancer... So calling all cars and low and behold you're a real livewire with a heart of gold
  • KellynnKellynn
    I think the "key" is either not having kids at all, lol, or only having one living in the house. And, to have a dh who is not messy. It's a plus if you are anal about your house, too.

• RedTiger

Im still looking for a solution to this problem too!

• My house is rarely clean and if it gets clean, nobody comes to visit then. My children are 2, 18 mos and 4 mos. I hate having a messy house, but they're happy and that's what matters.
    Mommy of three littles 3 and under. I need a nap. :)
  • AnonUser32AnonUser32
    I saw on "moms everyday" a local 5 min blip on tv, they say tackle one room a day. Start from the top and go to the bottom, left to right.
  • twiztedmamatwiztedmama
    Clean house??? Is that an oxymoron? I don't think I understand that term....
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    It's not cleaning it that's a problem. It's getting it to STAY clean. And after seeing all of your hard work demolished in minutes, time after time... it's fucking soul crushing lol It makes it harder and harder as the years go on and the messes get more outrageous to not just say "fuck it" and lower your standards to "there's no mold, and the dust is less than an inch thick" and get on with your day
    "Don't Panic"
  • RedTiger
    SAHM1020 said:

It's not cleaning it that's a problem. It's getting it to STAY clean. And after seeing all of your hard work demolished in minutes, time after time... it's fucking soul crushing lol It makes it harder and harder as the years go on and the messes get more outrageous to not just say "fuck it" and lower your standards to "there's no mold, and the dust is less than an inch thick" and get on with your day

I COMPLETLY understand!! Some days I do just say "fuck it" and let it go. Rooms like my bedroom and bathroom dont get cleaned until I just cant take it anymore. Im busting ass just doing the kitchen, living room, 2nd bathroom, hallway and the kids bedrooms to where you can walk in them. I get so frustrated that I sit down and cry at least twice a week.
  • ChibikoChibiko
    Mine is usually clean enough that someone can stop by and I'm not all embarrassed but thats about it. No white glove testing here.

FWIW my house was MUCH cleaner when they were smaller. They made easier to clean up messes then or something. Now they dump and run.
    "We all cross over to the dark side at one point. We just all have different temptations" ~MarySunshine

"You were the truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all" ~Death Cab for Cutie
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Photobucket
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • LLBLLB
    Um I have 2 almost 6 y/o's a dog and a husband plus I am 6 months pregnant and frookin exhausted!

my kitchen is cleaned daily but the rest of the main floor of my house is cleanish about 1 day a week for maybe an hour or 2! Every Saturday we clean. By cleanish I mean vacuumed, mopped, toilet cleaned, sink and mirrors washed etc. the clutter is a never ending battle but I try to get it under control every Saturday as well.

I make my kids clear any toys etc out of the living room before bed every night. The kids rooms however... Umm yeah shit stuffed under the beds and in the closets galore! I make them pick up throughout the week but Saturday everything under the bed and in the closets gets pulled out and they have to sort through it. I usually have to force them by threatening and screaming but it does eventually get done!

Don't look in my basement though! Oh the horror of laundry piles and shit! Er... I mean oh so important stuff!
  • twiztedmamatwiztedmama
    @LLB I feel for you. My household is myself (29 wks pregnant), DF, DSS9, DS8, FIL, SIL, 2 cats, a ferret and a snake. Snake is low maintenance, cats are SIL's and ferret is easy. Boys toys and cat toys tend to end up all over the house. The kitchen is fairly maintained, (dishes at least rinsed as we have no dishwasher....) As long as the house doesn't smell and I won't die walking around I call it a plus. Laundry is never-ending.... To all the scaries.... A moms job is never done!!! lol
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    @LLB don't get me started on the freaking pets! lol I vacuum twice a day, and I just saw a fur-tumbleweed blow by. I hate shedding season :(
    "Don't Panic"
  • Bakerface
    I have to clean my sons toliet once a week or more bc he is potty training on the big potty and always holding onto the seat it skeeves me out if I haven't bleached and scrubbed it. I clean up the nightly dinner dishes and run the dishwasher every day. Other than that? I get to it when I can.
  • mommyof2_76
    CKLW said:

I think the "key" is either not having kids at all, lol, or only having one living in the house. And, to have a dh who is not messy. It's a plus if you are anal about your house, too.

^^^^
    This
    I have DS14 and Dd8 mo. DH is a bit Ocd and I have DS 14 pretty well trained (no food or drink outside kitchen, do own laundry, clean his bathroom, trash,bedroom etc.) I don't know how clean the house will stay once DD is a little older though.
  • twiztedmamatwiztedmama
    Congratulations @mommyof2_76 on training your son. Got any tips? Mine are 9 and 8 and the training isn't going so well.... LOL!
  • PenguinsMommaPenguinsMomma

DS LOVES cleaning...unfortuntely his uncle does not and sets a very bad example

I came home to enough crumbs on my bed to create 2 new donuts.  of course I had to clean up the crayons before i could clean them up

• mommyof2_76
    @twiztedmama mine didn't go well either at that age especially since DS has ADD. I got him on Concerta at 12 and bam totally different kid. Plus it helps that he wanted a sibling so bad and finally got 1. Plus i told him if his sister gets any of his stupid little toys in her mouth they get trashed.
  • twiztedmamatwiztedmama
    @mommyof2_76 My 9yo is on Concerta. I'll definitly have to use the toy trashing threat when the new little one gets here. I guess I'll just have to push through this. At least I know it can get better.
    :D
  • daddyoftwo

six hours later? wow you are lucky lol my kids were gone 1hr tonight got everything clean but the dishes and now im looking at a bigger mess. what i wouldnt do for our house to stay clean for 6hrs lol

One thing I do is they need to clean up the first mess first then they can take more out. most of the time it works.

• PJSaregreatPJSaregreat
    There are times when I go to the bathroom with a somewhat clean house, only to come out to what looks like a bomb exploded. Sigh...such is life...at least mine anyways. ;)
  • FireAngel334FireAngel334
    =)) Sounds a lot like my house...

SAHM1020 said:

• FireAngel334FireAngel334

Photobucket

Love this one!! 

• BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I've pretty much given up, especially when I had to take a putty knife to the tile to get dd's dried up food off the floor...sigh...I'm glad I'm not alone!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • Emmasmom04Emmasmom04
    my house is awful.  There is always something more important to do.  I too have the child that cleans for 2 weeks straight and nothing looks better lol.  Good thing I can still use the threat "santa can see your filthy pig sty of a room!"