Eating 101, Basic Food Life Skills
  • KorenKoren
    We are never truly taught how to eat. We are taught how to drive, how to do algebra, but most of us
    just eat how our parents eat – good and bad. So this week is about Eating 101 – the basic food skills you
    need to eat better from today on.

I’ve worked with a lot of clients on weight loss and weight management and I tell every one of them the
    same thing – weight is 80% diet, 10% exercise and 10% genetics. Focus your energy on what has the
    most impact…what is going in your mouth, why you’re eating and how you’re eating.

Below are three basic food lessons that focus not on what you’re eating, but on how you’re eating. I
    want you to try each of the following skills at least once this week. Let me know which one you liked,
    which you didn’t (and why).

1 – Go to Bed Empty and Close the Kitchen 2 Hours Before Bed

I learned this one from Oprah’s diet guru Bob Greene years ago (check out Mistake #5 -- http://
    www.oprah.com/health/Weight-Loss-Help-from-Bob-Greene
    ).

Go to bed empty, meaning on a scale from 1-10 with 1 being starving and 10 being Thanksgiving Day
    stuffed, I want you around a 3. Not starving, but on the verge of getting hungry. Your stomach feels
    empty, not stuffed with dinner (or after dinner snacks). I don’t want you starving so that you can’t sleep
    and all you do is dream of oreos. Finding that comfortable empty place will take some trial and error.
    The best way to it is by closing the kitchen 2 hours before bed.

Eat dinner and then close the kitchen. Physically close it by washing your dishes, wiping the counters
    and turning off the lights. Avoid going back in unless absolutely necessary. I typically go upstairs. You
    can also brush your teeth which can help with after dinner snacking.

But I’m hunnngrrreeeeee (as is often said by my kiddos). Well, odds are nothing you want is healthy and
    good for you. The perfect test if you are truly hungry or just bored/emotional/stressed/tired is to allow
    yourself only raw carrots or sliced apples after dinner. If you truly want either of those two items, go
    ahead. But most likely you’ll decide that you are not truly hungry.

And don’t forget to eat enough early in the day. People who starve themselves in the morning tend to
    overeat at night. Remember the old saying – breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a
    pauper.

2 -- Limit Takeout or Eating Out to one meal per week

Restaurants make their food as delicious as possible to keep you coming back. They do this by adding
    one of three things – sugar, fat or salt. Or all three for the perfect trifecta.

Having worked in a restaurant, I know what “no oil” truly means to a chef – just use half of a ladle. And
    thinking you’re going light going with a salad? Guess again…they pile the dressing and toppings on,
    making salads one of the more caloric choices on the menu.

If you truly want to control your weight, you need to cook your own food. You have to know what is
    going into your body. If I’m trying to tighten up, I can only eat out about once a week.

This week, cook your dinners and pack your lunches. Eat just one meal that is prepared by someone
    other than you or your family.

3 -- Limit Distractions

Meals in America are all about convenience. We eat in the car, on the go, standing up, in front of the
    TV. Problem is, when you don’t truly pay attention to what you are eating, you tend to overeat.

TV eating is one of the worst. Not only do TV commercials pepper you with images of delicious food,
    making you want yummy junk, but you tend to eat mindlessly from a bag, losing track of what you even
    ate.

I want you to savor your food and appreciate it. Give it the value and attention it deserves.

This week, eat meals from a plate, sitting down, at the table. Try lighting a candle and playing music (or
    enjoy the quiet). Eat slowly. Breathe. Taste your food. Stop when satisfied. Enjoy
    www.purematters.com
    Because your health matters
  • CrashCrash
    This is probably the one lesson that's the easiest for our family. We eat at the table. I cook most of our food. We only get takeout once a week, or go out. And we don't eat past supper.

Whew. Lol. 
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • eappleeapple
    This week is going to be tough for me! I have two buts lol, first I eat at subway once a week the one day I work. I always get a whole wheat turkey, no cheese, tons of veggies, just a bit of mustard and a bit of sub sauce. Paired with a nestea zero, no combo for me :c Now we also tend to eat out once a week as a family, usually pitas but sometimes pizza or Chinese. My but is, but do I really need to cut my subway out!? Second but, Dan and I often watch a sitcom after we put the girls down and shower or do a chore. Dan eats chips and I eat popcorn, we pop it at home in a large pot with vegetable oil and then just add salt, no butter. I'd like to say I eat this as a bedtime snack 3 times a week but it's more like 5. It's actually funny because I always assume I'm eating a healthy and balanced diet until I think about these little bad habits :s @koren
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
  • KorenKoren
    @eapple -- No you don't have to cut out your Subway :)  Especially since you know what is on it and you have made it a healthy version. 

The popcorn...I would ask yourself - are you hungry or is it a habit?  Maybe just limit it to once a week and make it a special treat.  Popcorn isn't the end of the world, but if you're eating when you aren't hungry, should ask yourself why.
    www.purematters.com
  • SassySassy
    Going to bed hungry..... *shudder*
  • irishlassirishlass
    No eating out and savouring my food is good. I do those anyway. Its closing the kitchen is tricky! Last night I ate pringles for no reason, other than ex brought them round.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • pdxmama
    Sassy said:

Going to bed hungry..... *shudder*

This!
    Going to bed hungry is a hard one for me. I actually tend to eat something before bed to avoid this. I have horrible insomnia, usually wake up multiple times throughout the night. I've found that if I go to bed hungry, I'm very likely to eat in the middle of the night. :(
  • KorenKoren
    We aren't going to bed hungry...we are going to bed EMPTY.  It is different.  Your tummy should feel comfortable and settled.  Not growling because you haven't eaten and not burping because you're so full.  It is that happy place right in between :)  This is not about deprivation.  And you may even find you sleep better if you aren't overly stuffed when you go to bed.  

If you are truly hungry before bed, have something small to take the edge off...but it shouldn't be something like chips, crackers, pretzels.  Those are not really filling and only make you crave more :)  

www.purematters.com
  • Dragonbabyx3Dragonbabyx3
    carbs make you crave more carbs.  I think my biggest challenge would be to limit distractions.  2 doesnt apply because I rarely eat out.  1 if I am hungry at all - even the slightest bit, then I cant sleep.  So I eat just enough to where I am not stuffed, but wont be hungry going to sleep either.  I do need to work on no distractions whilst eating though...  I need to turn off the tv, back AWAY from the computer , so yeah...  lots of things I need to do.  I dont have the TV on unless SO is here... but the computer?  yeah, I always eat in front of it....  Its a form of multitasking I'm not sure I can live without...  But maybe I will try...
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    Yeah, closing the kitchen after dinner can be tough. Especially lately. We've been stress eating I think with Sandy and all.

But I am proud to say I kicked my ice cream every night before bed habit!! If I have ice cream it's either after lunch :-$, or right after dinner.

We did cut back on the ordering out over the summer. That helped a lot. We leave one night open a week for ordering out. One night a week we inevitably have a lot going on and cooking dinner would mean eating at 9pm.

"I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • momoffiveteensmomoffiveteens
    @Koren I have a question a few times a week I eat at the little cafe type place where I study. I know exactly what is on my sandwich and it is always a sandwich not burger or anything. I usually have a ham and provolone cheese on wheat bread with tomatoes and lettuce. Do I need to cut this down to 1 time a week? Thank you
  • Mommyof5
    I have found weight watchers used a lot of these tips too but not as on depth. Thanks for the info!!
  • alexsmommy
    See, my dinner is at 6:30-7 pm but I don't go to bed until DH gets home around 3am......my kitchen doesn't close after dinner. If it did I would be starving! I usually have a snack around 11pm and after that I stay out of the kitchen. Snacks are most likely 3 cups air popped popcorn (no salt or butter-only 100 calories), an apple, veggies and dip, or if I'm being lazy or have a sweet tooth I will grab a fruit and nut granola bar.
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    A few tiny tricks I also use, I use a smaller (salad) plate for my meals, it tricks me into thinking my smaller portions aren't that small.  I never (try to never) serve food on the table, it's served at the stove.. that way there's nothing to grab 2nds from sitting right in front of you.
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • km.mamma
    I like going to bed empty not hungry!lol
  • GisleyandHank
    I love to cook and I make most things from scratch. I also hate spending money on food so when we take road trips (I've been having to go out of town for the doctor) I kind of go crazy packing food. I don't usually eat after dinner because I'm not much of a snacker. I actually struggle because I tend to eat three very large meals rather then several small ones.
  • babs413
    Great tips. A lot of times when I go to bed I am bored and think I am hungry. I drink a glass of water and if that doesn't help I have to be extremely hungry to go to the kitchen. Its downstairs and I am afraid of the dark.

We are guilty of eating in front of the tv though. We are going to work hard on changing that.
  • DovahkiinDovahkiin
    @Koren To be honest, the whole brekky like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper thing freaks me out a bit. Maybe because I'm Aussie and we don't have hot breakfasts?
    Stroke the furry wall
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Since it is Native American Heritage Month , ck out some sites that show you a Native diet....lots of fresh , bison .
  • ScaryMommyScaryMommy
    Anytime I have ever lost weight, ever, it's been from eating less at night and going to bed hungry. Not starving - but lightly hungry. It really does work, it's just hard to do it, especially on weekends!!
  • Beccas5
    I have been trying to teach my kids (teenagers) that you can still eat the things you want but its the portions. One small scope of ice cream or try adding some meat and cheese to a salad to make it a meal. But my husband thinks differently. he tells them they should be able to eat a whole pizza or will have them competing on who can eat the most.
  • KorenKoren

carbs make you crave more carbs.  I think my biggest challenge would be to limit distractions.  2 doesnt apply because I rarely eat out.  1 if I am hungry at all - even the slightest bit, then I cant sleep.  So I eat just enough to where I am not stuffed, but wont be hungry going to sleep either.  I do need to work on no distractions whilst eating though...  I need to turn off the tv, back AWAY from the computer , so yeah...  lots of things I need to do.  I dont have the TV on unless SO is here... but the computer?  yeah, I always eat in front of it....  Its a form of multitasking I'm not sure I can live without...  But maybe I will try...

So true about carbs -- I tell people, sugar begets sugar.  And simple carbs are truly just sugar.  

If you eat in front of the computer, try just to turn your chair and chew slowly.  Taste your food.  Appreciate the texture and the flavor.  If you are having a meal, I'm not as concerned as if you are having snacks there mindlessly. 
    www.purematters.com
  • KorenKoren
    Yay @MarySunshine!  If you love ice cream, make it a treat.  Do it once a week (or even less) and get the best stuff that you absolutely love.  Savor it :)

www.purematters.com
  • KorenKoren
    @Koren I have a question a few times a week I eat at the little cafe type place where I study. I know exactly what is on my sandwich and it is always a sandwich not burger or anything. I usually have a ham and provolone cheese on wheat bread with tomatoes and lettuce. Do I need to cut this down to 1 time a week? Thank you

@MomofFiveTeens -- no, sometimes convenience wins out.  As long as  you know what is on it, don't cut it out.  

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of sandwiches because of the disproportionate amount of calories that typically come from the bread.  I'd rather you have a big salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and meat.  Although I love good bread, typical sandwich bread to me is just filler.   
    www.purematters.com
  • KorenKoren

See, my dinner is at 6:30-7 pm but I don't go to bed until DH gets home around 3am......my kitchen doesn't close after dinner. If it did I would be starving! I usually have a snack around 11pm and after that I stay out of the kitchen. Snacks are most likely 3 cups air popped popcorn (no salt or butter-only 100 calories), an apple, veggies and dip, or if I'm being lazy or have a sweet tooth I will grab a fruit and nut granola bar.

Sounds like your snacks are pretty controlled and not mindless nor emotional eating.  Those are the bigger "threats".  Ultimately, do what you have to do based on your circumstances.  
    www.purematters.com
  • KorenKoren

I love to cook and I make most things from scratch. I also hate spending money on food so when we take road trips (I've been having to go out of town for the doctor) I kind of go crazy packing food. I don't usually eat after dinner because I'm not much of a snacker. I actually struggle because I tend to eat three very large meals rather then several small ones.

There are differing opinions on what is better.  Lots of press a few years ago about eating 4-5 mini meals...but research has shown that people who graze actually end up eating more.  I like 3 meals -- breakfast, lunch, dinner and one snack (between lunch and dinner, before getting home).  The key is to figure out what works for you and listen to your body when it has had enough.  The "very large" meals concerns me a little -- maybe shoot for just "meals" :)  And like I posted earlier, try to front load your calories earlier in the day -- stokes the metabolism and leaves you feeling lighter at night. 
    www.purematters.com
  • KorenKoren
    Beccas5 said:

I have been trying to teach my kids (teenagers) that you can still eat the things you want but its the portions. One small scope of ice cream or try adding some meat and cheese to a salad to make it a meal. But my husband thinks differently. he tells them they should be able to eat a whole pizza or will have them competing on who can eat the most.

Great point Becca.  We haven't talked a lot about portions.  My mom had a 3-bite rule for desserts, which I still (try to) follow.  It is so important to teach kids good eating habits and this is just one of the many, many lessons we teach them.  
    www.purematters.com
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    years ago I stopped eating after 8pm. It did help me lose some weight and feel better overall! I tend to go for a cup of tea or just hot water before bed If im feeling "hungry" again. usually does the trick! 
    I am me, and I am loved
  • lbm05trr09
    my 3 yr old doesnt eat well it scares me but the doctors not worried should i be
  • momoffiveteensmomoffiveteens
    I tried closing the kitchen last night, Felt I was hungry about 1 hour before bed so I had a banana. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

• KorenKoren

my 3 yr old doesnt eat well it scares me but the doctors not worried should i be

Just continue giving healthy options along with whatever they will eat.  Try to lead by example too.  I can tell you though, it isn't easy.  I eat really well and I still struggle to get my nine year old to eat well.  She could live off of cheese and bread.  You might consider a gummy multi and fish oil.  I'd be happy to send you some samples. 

www.purematters.com
  • KorenKoren

I tried closing the kitchen last night, Felt I was hungry about 1 hour before bed so I had a banana. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Great job!  it gets easier with time.  I drink a good amount of water at night to try to avoid eating.  But if I am truly hungry, I will have something like an apple.  :)

www.purematters.com
  • Raegn
    Thanks for the tips!!!! Any tips for binge eaters???? I can do great for days. Eggs, veggies, tuna and chicken.....then I get emotional and before I know it I'm shoving food in my mouth that I'm not even hungry for. I have no discipline and I don't have that "I'm full" feeling. Ever.
  • lbm05trr09
    My three tr old doesnt eat right either so instead of regular milk i give him carnation instant breakfast
  • KorenKoren
    Raegn said:

Thanks for the tips!!!! Any tips for binge eaters???? I can do great for days. Eggs, veggies, tuna and chicken.....then I get emotional and before I know it I'm shoving food in my mouth that I'm not even hungry for. I have no discipline and I don't have that "I'm full" feeling. Ever.

@Raegn - Binge eating stems from two things -- deprivation and eating things that don't satisfy you.  When you eat, make sure you are eating what you truly want.  Want oreos?  Have them, give yourself permission.  Savor them.  It is when we tell ourselves that foods are forbidden that they then become taboo and all we can think about!  Try it, I promise it will work eventually. 

Also, my guess is you're probably not getting enough fat when you "do great."   Be sure you're getting enough good fat.  

Feel free to email me directly if you want to talk in more detail -- kbarwis@purematters.com.  

www.purematters.com