What does your family do on Thanksgiving?
  • SnoopMom
    Just curious to see what other families do on Thanksgiving besides eat and watch football?

Do you & yours play games,look through photo album's,sing song's,roast chest nut's on an open fire?

• chaosmomchaosmom
    We just hang out & talk. Normally, my FIL breaks out some old pics or videos & we look at those & laugh/cry. Just quality family time! Oh, and we eat :-D then we go for a walk so we have room for pie!!!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    First we watch the Thanksgiving day parade , then to grandmoms! We eat and talk and sometimes watch the dog show at te same time. Then it's outside to play soccer ! We couldn't find a ball one year and played with a three litter bottle ! So it's called coke soccer. Sometimes they like to play that even when we have a ball. They go why kick a ball when we have a coke bottle half fille with water we can kick ! =)) then someone gets kicked usually my cousin and he limps off laughing. Also my brother will bring out his newest " toy" last year it was an " ak-47 " ! He sometimes brings his paintball guns so we can actually shoot something. He won't fire live amo unless he is at a range. Then we go to a movie and after we have leftovers from lunch.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • Jojo2000
    Talked to my kids what we are thankful for and also talk about all of our loved ones who aren't here with us anymore and then play games and usually get to bed early to shop but not this year
  • GingerLynn

We watch the parade,always say what we are thankful for and Eat....eat....eat!!! lol

• SnoopMom
    Well not that I am living 5 hrs away from mine & DH's family we are on our own for the first time EVER and I am trying to decided what NEW tradition's we can start for the 4 of us.

My niece lives an hour away but not sure if her & her hubby can come for dinner (he has to work till 2pm) so I am kind of torn between just going out to a really nice hotel buffet dinner,a movie,than home to play games.

It suck's,I wish some of my family could come down to see us.
  • mamamaybe

Thanksgiving is pretty quiet for my family. My immediate family is here, but no extended. My brother and I end up doing all the cooking, then we eat, have nap time and watch football. Not too bad, but I miss the huge extended madness that was Thanksgiving with the family around.

• justkeepswimmingjustkeepswimming

When my parents and old bachelor uncles get here we all pretend to like each other because we're all any of us has. Then we do it again at Christmas and take the rest of the year off after that.

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.
    ~Oscar Wilde
    Cat Kitty Love Hugs Smilie Smiley Smilies Smileys Emoticon Emoticons Animated Animation Animations Gif
  • KellynnKellynn
    We have a good ole' fashioned poker game, for MONEY. We mostly use nickels and dimes, some quarters. The kids love it because they can make a little money. Dimes and nickels add up! We help them, of course, but its always a lot of fun.
  • daddyoftwo
    we eat and eat and eat lol and some football with it. and every yr we get guys together for turkey bowl!
  • shate98shate98
    Eat and eat some more. No football. Whole family gathers and spends the night at my Dad's if they can, or just come over for dinner (it's 3-4 hours from most of us because it's at the beach). We talk, visit and decorate his tree for christmas (he cooks, we decorate his house for him).
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    Parade....food....football...food - last year for the first time, I went midnight shopping with my sister in law.  Crazy!
    Mary :-)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    We try to go to Pa and spend it at his grandmothers.
    Last year we couldn't go so I made a huge dinner and took it to the local truck terminal of the company Dh works for.
    We knew there were plenty of truckers still working and wanted to give them a home cooked meal for the holiday.
    We spent all day there and the kids had a blast and anyone who drove through walked away stuffed.
  • SnoopMom
    Look's like DH has decided we are going to eat somewhere in Downtown Louisville and than go to some cave that has Christmas light's in it??

I miss my big family Thanksgiving,but a lot of family is gone my parent's,aunt's,uncles.
    So it's time to make new memories for my children and my family..it's bittersweet,part of my past is gone and it was wonderful,so at least my heart still feel's the love I felt then.

• jaimedawn
    cook most of the day and clean while the families nibbles all the food and ask when they can have pie lol :)
  • Kenb
    my husband and I cook dinner together and we eat. then we go to the movies.
  • When we're with the inlaws, I also stress out, get put down and keep my mouth shut. We're staying home this year. We'll play games.
    Mommy of three littles 3 and under. I need a nap. :)
  • jfletch1719
    We go to my best friends house. My parents passed away several years ago (it will be 4 years since I lost my mom on December 1, it will be 4 years since I lost my dad on April 27, 2013), and my siblings have other commitments on Thanksgiving, so we spend the day with her and her family. Its a great family day!!
  • 3223L3223L
    My brother and my inlaws come to my house for Thanksgiving. For Christmas, we go over to his and his wife's house.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Its usually just my parents, me and my oldest son and his gf and sometimes my brother and his SO. Dh takes youngest son to his family. I absolutely hate going to my moms. She gets so stressed about trying to make everything perfect that it ruins the day. I would just assume go out to dinner to avoid the stress.
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • Manders15Manders15
    New tradition is now wake up, I go to my parent's house for breakfast (mmm, pumpkin cranberry bread!) then watch Thanksgiving Day parade w/ my mom, then to SO's brother's house for his family Thanksgiving and after that back to my parents for their Thanksgiving.  Christmas is about the same thing.  When we have kids we may need to re-think this process, lol.
  • LoveLove
    I have a huge family, and we all meet at my grandmother's house for Thanksgiving. Granny passed years and years and YEARS ago, but her house is still our meeting place. No one lives there, but we've kept the power, water, and TV on for family gatherings, and my aunts maintain the property. 

My family hunts. So. The men folk (and a few select ladies LOL) get up before the crack of dawn, and head out into the woods there behind Granny's house.

Around 10ish, they all come back, and the cool kids (that would be us) hang out in the yard with the children, catching up on life and tossing a football around with the 78976314316 children present, while the older aunts and cousins cook and whatnot. (I cook and BRING stuff, but it's HOT up in that tiny kitchen with a billion people, and they don't have the patience to corral all those kids anyway LOL)

and then we eat.
    and then we go back outside and play.
    and then we eat again.
    and then we go back outside.
    and then we eat LOL
    and it just repeats, until slowly, people start leaving, just after dark. And then those who live close to the house, clean up and pack up and shut er down.

And in between all that, we (my DH and I) have kid swaps with the exes, depending on the scheduled time slots.

community-manager

• ChibikoChibiko
    We go over to my parents house. We watch the parade, nibble while the food is cooking, and generally just enjoy being together. Actually, it's not much different from our usual Sunday night family dinner....the foods just more. :)

Oh mom and I do scour the adds, make out lists and plan our black Friday events.
    "We all cross over to the dark side at one point. We just all have different temptations" ~MarySunshine

"You were the truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all" ~Death Cab for Cutie
  • This will be the first Thanksgiving we are having at our first house. I am sooo excited. I got help this year too so it was a load of my mind. I am going to turn off the tv and play with the kids, listen to music, and cook with the kids all day long. I might even skip naps and let everyone enjoy each others company. No relative this year since we need to have our own traditions.
    "Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save."
    -Will Smith
  • nottheone
    We are a 9 hour drive from our families, and might not have anything other than hamburger helper for dinner ($ issues) and probably watch football. If the giants are playing, we will watch, until they loose. Then the hubby gets angry so the t gets turned off. It will most likelybe just like any other day for us here.
  • LLBLLB
    I cook while dh and the kids hang around watching tv. Our families come over for dinner around 3 and eat then watch tv and talk.

After everyone leaves I clean up the mess and prep my stuff for Black Friday shopping. Depending in when the sales start I'll either head out right away or nap for a couple hours then head out.

That's about it...
  • Kitty69Kitty69
    I start drinking and cooking while watching the parade ;) the others are usually still asleep. I'm hoping to have my grandsons here this year. We will drink, eat about 1, watch football, drink,  snooze, eat again,drink, watch more football, drink, eat....  I can't wait, except the clean up part
  • roobear8408roobear8408
    We pig out on Dinner, then we all sit around and complain that we ate way to much. Then we play a board game or something fun!
  • wonderwomanx3
    @snoopmom - that 'cave' your dh is talking about is probably Louisville underground. It's right by the zoo. I think you pay by the carload & then drive thru. Let me know what you think of it. I've thought of going but I don't want to shell out the $$.
  • OUCHOUCH
    Not a damn thing. It is just another day for us. 
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate." - UNK
    "The amazing thing about life is that you choose what you allow into it, you choose how things affect you, you choose how you react. Happiness is a choice. Make it." - UNK
    "Tattoos don't define the person, the person defines the tattoos." - Me
    “The pain now is part of the happiness then” – CS Lewis
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    The skids watch the parade while I finish cooking...eat......go on a family walk at the local mission.....eat some more.....clean up......bust out the dessert.....then I kick their collective asses at yahtzee......
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • organicbabyorganicbaby
    I am glad you ask. Nothing at all just like @ouch
  • lbm05trr09
    i always try to get the family together for thanksgiving i believe its important but i also think its important for the four of us to have a meal a couple days before or after thanksgiving with just the four of us.....
  • MorganD
    When Daddy was still alive, we would eat and watch the game...and hang out with each other. It was all about reconnecting and enjoying stories from when we were kids. But now that he's gone, I'm lucky if we even try to make plans. we haven't gotten together in a couple of years. I'm trying to get everyone together this year, but no one is saying they'll even try. :(
  • Unique_MommaUnique_Momma
    We normally go to my Grams house for the big dinner, visit and share all the funny and special memories we have, watch random movies (sometimes Christmas movies, sometimes some random action flick that my Gramps turns up to loud, lol), sometimes we nap before eating dessert, and we used to draw names for Secret Santa, but now we just do Dirty Santa, so we figure out how many people will be there at Christmas. This year my mom will be having Thanksgiving at her house and DH already said we would be there (it's normally a fight of "we have to be where when?"). Mom is making a ham and I may be buying a turkey and some oil for my dad so he can deep fry it. He has only used his deep fryer maybe 2-3 times and it has been years and I'm craving deep fried turkey (either me or the twins, you decide, lol).
  • sandy2622
    Slave in the kitchen!  Enjoy my family all being around and eating way to much!  LOL
  • ZidashaZidasha
    @love, I want your family..lol.  I wish my Aunt and Uncle would have kept my grandmothers house.  It was out in the country and her place was also the meeting grounds for all the family.  Sadly I don't see my Aunts and Uncles very often anymore and they don't live that far from my parents.  I just think that's great that your family has kept the place up after so many years for the sake of family gatherings.

Hubby and I usually host Thanksgiving at our house.  I love having people over and I love playing hostess although last year I didn't do jack shit because 1. I was very pissed at Dh and on strike and 2. I had just found out I was preggo with Dd so I really wasn't feeling all that great.  But anyway, this year he decided he was gonna do Thanksgiving all by himself again so I will be going back and forth between watching foot ball with the men folk, conversing with the women folk while trying to keep the little hellions somewhat civilized AND enjoying a few glasses of wine as a beverage.  Oh, and I'm gonna make my grandmothers Cabbage Salad this year(I haven't had it in over 10 years) which I might just make a Thanksgiving necessity from now on.
    "I have a theory that placenta is brain matter I push out, so with each child I get dumber and dumber." ~ Unknown

• Lees

I have one relative who always wants us to read these notecards, and I die inside while we have to read the sappy messages. Every year I pray she will forget about them. Sometimes she does.

Other than that, we grub down.  

• SaraMommySaraMommy
    @SnoopMom I haven't been to the Louisville Mega Caverns to see the Christmas lights, but my family has and they said it was awesome!!! http://www.louisvillemegacavern.com/lights-under-louisville.html  We may try to go this year since ds is older and will actually appreciate all of the lights! Have fun!
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Family together for the 1st time in about 5 yrs, I will be a cookin all the fav dishes .....
  • rorysmom1

just being with family and taking the time togther to refelct on all we are thankful for... yeah and watching the parade

• iritnusiritnus
    Most years we eat a big meal together. But one year we cooked and served dinner for anyone in our community who was hungry or just lonely. I'd like to do that again.
    My scrapbooking blog: www.scrappingisheartwork.com
    My food blog: www.good-press.blogspot.com
  • missy545missy545
    Lets see...I cook everyone else watches football plays on Internet. We eat then nap then eat some more. Check out the Black Friday ads and plan Friday then eat some more. I clean up and we leave for shopping. This year we are closer to family so hopefully we will get to see them too.
  • LoveLove

community-manager

• jetty
    We start the morning with cinnamon rolls and watching the Macy's parade. Then I get to cooking until the family arrives. When the family gets here we all go around the table and say what we're thankful for. This year I'm adding a few small games to the mix as well. Football is on as well and my husband, father in law and son all go watch that while myself, my mom, my sister, mom in law and grandma sit at the table and talk about Christmas. When everyone leaves we clean up and start to pull out all the Christmas decorations. Then I get ready and I do some midnight black friday shopping!
  • J_mom
    always watch the parade!! :) then i start cooking, and we watch fun thanksgiving cartoons and such, then an early dinner and just some fun hang out time... i might have the kids do a fun craft this year, or just some fun turkey coloring pages.  its mostly just about spending time with the family... and enjoying a good meal and that is about it.