Clothes from Goodwill
  • SassySassy
    Confession # 245550

There should be no shame in buying clothes from Goodwill whether for yourself or for your children. I know damn well that you can get very good quality clothing with a little shopping and you should be teaching your kids that labels don't matter anyway! I grew up in Goodwill clothes, never had anything new until I could buy it myself.... I don't fault my parents for that in the least! 

Keep your head up OC, there is no reason to be sad about this!
  • missmama5missmama5
    Buying from goodwill is recycling. Keep up the good work mama.
  • LLBLLB
    Almost everything we own is from goodwill or other thrift shops!

I have no shame paying $5 for a $60 pair of jeans or $3 for a $40 top!

$30 for kids jeans that ds is going to blow through the knees in a week??? Pft yeah right! I'll take the $3 pair from Goodwill tyvm!
  • shate98shate98
    Shopping at goodwill is not only recycling, but putting money to a good cause. I shop there all the time. And saving a buck or two never hurts!
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • hercrazymomma
    The pants and sweater I am wearing came from Salvation Army.  I saved a TON on the outfit and my money goes to help others.
  • sidsmommy3sidsmommy3
    I have gotten more than one brand name pair of shoes for 4 dollars or less at goodwill.  ;)
    Mary :-)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Goodwill has a lot of good things !!
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • scary_wifescary_wife
    I just scored a $70 pair of tweed pants for $1 at Goodwill.
    That's where most of my clothes come from and I have no shame.
    "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    Hell if it weren't for second hand stores me and the kids would've spent at least a few days naked! Lol.

Not to mention, a fair amount of my furniture and kitchen equipment came from second hand stores. No shame in MY game. I proudly tell people where I got stuff when asked
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    I love my Salvation Army. Ive gotten awesome clothes there, some with the tags still on for a couple bucks.
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • BunnyBunny
    I love goodwill and thrift stores, My son thankfully has been raised to care less if it comes from a big store or a thrift store, he's just as excited either way
    Crazy? I was crazy once...they locked me in a room with no windows. That drove me nuts. Nuts! Squirrels eat nuts. They drive me crazy. Crazy! I was crazy once..
  • Jojo2000
    I love goodwill and so do my kids
  • CalliopemarieCalliopemarie
    Around here you get made fun of for shopping at the salvation army.
  • GingerLynn

I raised all my kids on clothing from thrift stores and yard sales.They got compliments constantly.I saved money and recycled :)

• irishlassirishlass
    I find kids clothes hard to get in charity shops. Most of them are very worn out, so I buy obscenely cheap off season in sales. I've also been blessed with my sisters friend who has given us a full wardrobe of clothes for ! From he was 2. He's got his age 4 clothes aswell I think in the attic. I shop in charity shops for me. My favourite cardigan is from a charity shop. And I dress kindof weirdly, so I can usually find something I like. I get pretty much all B's toys second hand too.
    Aint no shame in a bargain!!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • Dragonbabyx3Dragonbabyx3
    I used to be so embarrassed about shopping in Goodwill or salvation army....  Until I saw my Xh's cousin... who is LOADED with money shopping there...  They are JUST clothes!  They are JUST things... So what does it matter? When you leave, do you still have your mind? Do you have clothes on your back? Do you have clothes on your kids back?  Is your kitchen stocked? do you have something to sit on at home?  Do you have your sanity.... wait.. Ignore that one. Do you have a little more money in your pocket?  Good!  Then you are doing things right!  So take a deep breath momma, things are gonna be okay :D
  • Ashdawn684Ashdawn684
    I get 90% of dd clothes at consignment shops or goodwill there are always those certain things I have to buy new like shoes socks and undies but jeans and shirts that se will either out grow or wear out the knees?!
    ~Live life to the fullest, or die trying~
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    Bere we've got Savers which is pretty much the same thing.  People bring their used clothes/toys etc in and you can buy them second hand.  Most people I know here shop at Savers.  I agree there is no shame in it, especially int his economy.  Kids and even adults don't need $100 sneakers/shoes imo. 
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • Katescrazymom

Even people with $$ are being frugal.  It's in!  My neighbor makes $70-80,000 a year, and her dh makes a bit over $100,000.  Canadian.  She shops at consignment/thrift stores for her ds's clothes, and some things for them.  She's also right with me looking on kijiji for toys, bikes etc. 

• cheesehead4ever

I will not go into Savers just due to the smell.   I don't think I would ever be able to get that smell out.

I will shop at Goodwill and second hand stores.  However, I don't think people in our area buy high quality clothing in the first place so when it's hard to find stuff I want to buy at these stores.  Garage sales around here are a total waste of time, except for kids' winter gear.  We do have consignment stores around here called Plato's Closet (juniors) and Clothes Mentor (ladies).  The stuff is in good condition and isn't more than two years old.  More expensive than thrift but definitely cheaper than new!

I have found that when I head to a larger metro area, the Goodwills in the richer suburbs have much better stuff!

• faith4realfaith4real
    I shop at the Goodwill.  Can find some great items there.  I just wash them real well before wearing them. 
  • faith4realfaith4real
    I grew up on thriftstore clothing at times and learned to be a frugal shopper, plus being on a very limited budget.
  • battibatti
    I'm obsessed with good will. I just got 2 name brand jeans that fit PERFECTLY for $4 each and a REALLY AWESOME pair of leather pants that were $70 brand new, $15 at good will, and happened to be the 50% off tag for that day. xD
    ALL of my decor around my house is from good will, yard sales, or given to us as gifts. Or I made it with materials from yard sales etc.
    Thrifting is an art!

SMSM_s_5

• undercoverbanana
    I found 10 brand new silk shirts a couple years ago in a thrift store. Still had the tags on. My best cookbooks come from thrift stores. And 3 yrs ago, I got an emille bellet limited edition seriograph for $3. Think of it as treasure hunting. Don't be ashamed. I had to do it a lot as my kids were growing up and going through crazy growth spurts.
    i'm nekkid.
  • SalllyWingo
    I regularly donate clothing to Goodwill - and I feel great about it!  I would NEVER donate something that I would not purchase from there myself.  I don't have the most expensive wardrobe in the world - but my weight goes up & down so much that I have donated some articles that I have never even worn.  It warms my heart to think that someone will wear them!

That being said - I have had my fair share of times that I have had to shop @ Goodwill.  My daughter got lots of clothes there as she was growing.  The majority of her clothing from ages 1-5 came second hand from a woman in my community. 
  • rescuemuttsrescuemutts
    Here we call goodwill the vintage store. You can get some great stuff there. Moms I know even brag about what great deals there are
    No shame on being green and recycling clothes!!
    "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole."
    Roger Caras
  • PJSaregreatPJSaregreat

Namebrand clothes at Goodwill=SCORE!!!! No shame in it!

• Mommyof5
    I love goodwill. Dishes, electronics, you name it.
  • mommyof2_76
    We are upper middle class and I shop at goodwill, thrift stores etc. Especially baby stuff and kids clothes. Me and a friend from work call it treasure hunting. One time my dad wanted one of those 70s style hanging lamps with the switch on the cord for Christmas and the only place I could find one was at Deseret Industries.
  • Furball1980Furball1980
    Thrift stores rules! I actually used to work in two of them years ago ( Savers and later Deseret industries). Absolutely no shame Hun!
  • GisleyandHank
    At the other end of the spectrum, I just had a lady chew me out for buying clothes from Goodwill because she thinks I should leave them for poor people. Apparently this is a thing? Buying used clothing is part of how I live frugally to make a better life for my family. I'm not ashamed of it.
  • SammieSammie
    I don't have to shop at Goodwill, I WANT to shop at Goodwill. I find that is the case for a lot of people, so nobody really knows why you're there and they are not judging you. Hell, they are there too ;) I freaking LOVE thrifting!! I frequently share pictures of all my awesome bargains and home decor and other odds and ends that I find. It's fun, it's a great cause and I end up with adorable things for my house, myself and my fam. I used to detest the idea of thrift shopping as a teen, and now I kick myself for not discovering it sooner!!! 

community-manager

• organicbabyorganicbaby
    I do not see the shame anywhere. Reuse, recycle, live frugally and do not let retailers make you stupid and pay over $100 for a piece of fabric.
    Goodwill, garage sales, consignment stores are great. Most of my house is made up of things from these places.
  • FoulMouthedSailorFoulMouthedSailor
    We buy mostly from garage sales, consignment stores, and goodwill. It cost a lot to keep a growing 7 year old clothed, and paying 4-10$ per item keeps the budget in check and my darling in good clothes. We bought one of her Christmas/Hanukah presents last week, a Jackson kids kayak that retails for $600 and got it for $100 at a yard sale, only used a few times, plus the all the gear, all together should have been $800.
    You show the lights that stop me turn to stone, You shine it when I'm alone. And so I tell myself that I'll be strong
    And dreaming when they're gone.
  • SassySassy
    @GrisleyandHank I would tell people like who say that to me that buying clothes from Goodwill is part of why I'm successful and I don't plan on giving it up.
  • onetimeonetime
    I used to think badly of it. Then I got broke, like whoa holy shit broke. Now, even though I'm starting to pull out of the Hoke, ill continue shopping second hand. We have nicer clothes, better brands, and can do more with our money than buying cheap new shit that's just gonna fall apart. I'm all about second hand!
    Suck it up buttercup!
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    Ive always donated to goodwill and salvation army as well as shopped there. Why not save money? There was a store not sure if it was goodwill or salvation army that I used to live near that got a TON of surplus clothes, brand name, tags still on that they sold super cheap!!! I got a business suit there once for less than $20!!! DD loves going to goodwill. We do her back to school shopping there, her choice. Around here its now the cool thing to do, all her friends shop at thrift stores as well. She thinks she started a trend....I let her believe that! 
    I am me, and I am loved
  • Mom_o_Cass
    I donate and shop at the goodwill. Especially my daughters clothes. I'm lucky to have a mother in law who constantly buys her new things, but she grows out of things quickly, so I'll drop off some donations, and then shop for new things. Our local shop is really well put together. Also, we have a place called Interfaith Social Services and they had a great thrift shop when I can find a lot for myself, as a plus sized lady. Another thing they have is the Career Closet, where women who may not have a nice suit to go to interviews in can get one for free, and if they get a job, they help them with a few more pieces. I just donated all of my "career" clothes to them, as I had to stop working. It felt so good :)
  • PurpleMommaPurpleMomma
    There's no shame in shopping second-hand.  I love finding a good deal at a thrift store or garage sale.  My daughter wanted an orange shirt for Halloween and even asked to go look at the thrift store.  It's a good lesson on how to be mindful with your money and you don't have to buy everything brand new.  I personally can't believe how much people will pay for some things.  Guess I'm just cheap!   :-?
  • Lees
    I'm a lawyer and I shop at Goodwill. I only buy the half off stuff. The regular prices are way too high for jeans and stuff. I can get jeans from Gymboree for $5 once per year, and tops for $3.50 - $5.00 all the time. I slowly stockpile it in successive sizes. I stockpile the half off Goodwill stuff, too. My kids are very well dressed and get a lot of compliments. It does take effort, but its what I like to do. 
  • ha ha ha...i was just discussing my latest Goodwill shopping trip with a GF when i saw this thread. Had to read it. Didn't see OC but I say there is no shame in goodwill...it's recycling and saving money for more important things. Just this morning i gave my son a pair of jeans to put on and he asked "whose are they?"  (meaning hand-me-downs from who?) They're yours son; i just got them for you. Looks at me and says "from goodwill?". Yup. Happy as a lark puts them on...looked great. $4! Get much of my stuff there too. I love it! I donate too...keep things moving!
  • crazybroad
    My kids know which weekend is half off day here and they love it. they are some of the best dressed in their classes and wear name brands like justice, old navy, levis, hollister, aeropostale', gap, and so on and all of it is from goodwill/sal army or super clearence.  why pay full price when they grow so fast and are so hard on their clothes (especially my ds8).  My dd10 says, goodwill is awesome because she has more clothes then her friends and i rarely say no to a goodwill find, lol.  
  • coda
    I am making my dd16 read this thread.  She told me she'd rather go without.  I added up her christmas list and it was over a grand.  Seriously, she's one of 5, how did I raise such a selfish brat?  
  • starryeyednpstarryeyednp
    we only shop at goodwill my hubby works there its great cause we can't afford much (they have great sales too on clothes that are already crazy cheap) there is no shame in that and its great for the environment 
    stare at reality while on the edge of insanity
  • CinnaCinna
    My husband had a contract with the goodwill warehouse for their trucks and he said the manager told him that Neimans donates stuff there all the time.
    Two hearts! Oh baby I'm beating out a samba!
  • AKimiBAKimiB
    Goodwill is a great place to shop.
    Especially if you are crafty. Cost-effective pre-made layouts just waiting to be altered to make a style all your own(or your child's.)
    There is no shame in saving a few dollars.
    SMSM_s_5 photo SMSM_s_5_zps5d122d86.jpg
  • You can find a lot of good stuff at thrift stores.  I have a really nice purse from one, and my favorite shirt is from a thrift store as well.  If you can find stuff you like at one, be my guest in going to one.
  • first_x_mama
    I'm a thrift store junkie! I love them. I could never understand paying $50 for something I can get for $5.
  • Emmasmom04Emmasmom04
    I will never buy something unless it is on clearance, or at the thrift shop.  It is not worth it.  The way my child goes through clothes, we would be going hungry to cover her tush.  Salvation army is my best friend. I find brand new stuff with tags still on there all the time!
  • Beccas5
    I dont mind buying things from a thrift store. its cheaper and you can still check it out to make sure there is no holes or stains. I also take clothes there all the time that are still in good shape but just dont fit
  • RDunhamRDunham
    I was raised wearing Goodwill, Salvation, etc. clothing, and now my boys are too. The other day I got my son Polo, Levis, and CK Jeans and a nice flannel jacket for $12. Got my husband 3 pairs Gap jeans for $15. Umm, why would I be ashamed of that?!