What awesome thing has your child done?
  • Sheri22268Sheri22268
    I have a special needs child DD2.  Most times its hard  to get her to complete any tasks. So each day I try to think about what she DID do instead of what challenges she's facing.  And yesterday she said the word BOO!! We've been working on it for 3 weeks now and finally she's saying it! I'm a proud Momma!!! What has your child done that may be big or small to make your heart sing this week???
  • toadintheholetoadinthehole
    I have a special DS2.5. yesterday he ate brocolli woop woop!

And congratulations mum, thats awesome!
    "mummy I love your testicles" - mini-toadinthehole aged 3.5 years
  • Sheri22268Sheri22268
    Thanks & Yay for Brocolli!! @toadinthehole ! That's huge!!!!
  • MicheleXelehciM
    We got him to eat meat! It may be covered in half a bottle of ketchup, but I'll take it as a win!
  • Sheri22268Sheri22268
    Getting them to eat anything new is a win! Awesome @MicheleXelechiM
  • peach27
    I have a DD6 with autism. In the last year she learned how to use a scissors and write her name. She can also steer her trike now. She used to just crash into everything. I think it's time for a real bike with training wheels? We are still working on the broccoli...
  • Sheri22268Sheri22268
    @peach27 Amazing! You go girl!!! Thats exciting stuff :)

• toadintheholetoadinthehole
    Well done mummies, our kids are awesome :-)
    "mummy I love your testicles" - mini-toadinthehole aged 3.5 years
  • lilolmelilolme
    I have a DS13 who has Intermittent explosive disorder, odd, and add, he tends to explode violently when things don't go his way. last week at school he was able to be talked down from an explosive state without harming himself or anyone else, for him this is HUGE as he tends to bite himself first,hard enough to leave massive bruises, then try attacking whomever is working to try to calm him down. YAY for no injurous behavior:)
  • Sheri22268Sheri22268
    @lilolme that's great :) I'm glad we have a place like SM to share our stories and get encouragment when needed!
  • CrashCrash
    My picky eater son is finally coming to the dinner table *without* saying, "I don't want X for supper!" Even if it's risotto and steak, or chicken lasagna. Well he did say he didn't like chicken lasagna, but there is finally no more complaints about the fact he must eat whatever the rest of us are eating. He's 8, and it's been a long road, but he's almost there.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • Sheri22268Sheri22268
    Its so hard to stick with it! I'm glad its paying off for you @Curious :)
  • lilolmelilolme
    Thanks @sherri22268, I, too, am glad we have somewhere to share our childrens accomplishments! Most of my family just doesn't "get it" when it comes to behaviors "normal" kids would never do. So being able to share and get a "yay for your son" here helps alot.
  • pennypenny
    In the last year my almost-5yo with ASD has undergone a major transformation. He has gone from barely verbal to nonstop chatterbox. He can now have conversations, whereas before we were hard-pressed to get him to answer yes/no questions. He has friends that he plays with in his special ed pre-k class as well as his regular daycare class. His articulation is at an age-appropriate level. His writing is progressing. He pulls out the sulks and whining when he doesn't get his way like every typical kid, instead of major tantrums and hitting/kicking. He can even articulate his wants and feelings in the throes of a tantrum when it does come to that.

I am so thankful I live in an area with strong early special education programs. He's been enrolled since January and it has made a world of difference.
  • JustAConfusedMamaJustAConfusedMama
    He went up to a decal on his babysitters window that says boo and said, "boo" clear as day.  He''s 19 mths.
    If you would like to sponsor me for the Imagine Walk for Autism in April, for my friend's son please click the below link and donate.
    http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sfamily/12th-imagine-walk-and-family-fun-day-for-autism
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    Yay for awesome kids!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • FoulMouthedSailorFoulMouthedSailor
    Bought a kids kayak at a yard sale to match mine, took dd7 aka Sunshine out to paddle yesterday. She did amazing, and pretty much learned to roll her kayak after about 30 minutes, hopefully this summer we can get her into a touring boat or atleast into some class 1-2 white water
    You show the lights that stop me turn to stone, You shine it when I'm alone. And so I tell myself that I'll be strong
    And dreaming when they're gone.
  • BunnyBunny
    My 7 month old crawled today! Kinda sad about it though... 
    Crazy? I was crazy once...they locked me in a room with no windows. That drove me nuts. Nuts! Squirrels eat nuts. They drive me crazy. Crazy! I was crazy once..
  • coda
    my speech delayed ds4 told me yesterday morning "I think you're wonderful"   :D It just doesn't get any better than that!
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    Draven has started to read books.... She'll be 3 in December. I'm not sure if she's reading them because she can actually read or if its just from awesome memory... I'm betting on the latter :)

confessional-manager

"What looks like torture is a time to rejoice
    What sounds like thunder is a comforting voice
    When what is beautiful looks broken and crushed
    And I say I don't know you
    But you say it's finished"
  • Mom_of_3_Boys
    My 13- year -old son is a self taught musician, that began playing the guitar when he was two. He writes his own music :) I had him when I was 16, and he's a majorly awesome kid. 
  • BnG43BnG43
    my kids didn't fight or moan and groan about school today (we homeschool) and we got it done early. they had time to go play w/the neighbors (who also homeschool) for 2 hours today. It was SO nice to have them enjoying themselves instead of complaining to me.