Week 6. Vitamins, Minerals and Omega-3s ... Oh My!
  • KorenKoren

Along with being a certified health coach, I also work for a supplement company (www.purematters.com).  I know most of you already know this, but I just wanted to restate that before we go any further.  Want to avoid eyebrow raising as we delve into this conversation about supplements and my motives.  

In an ideal world, we would all eat a well-balanced diet, getting all the required nutrients from fruit, veggies, lean protein and good fats...but many of us don’t live in that world.  According to this Gallup Poll article, only 66% of Americans report “eating healthy all day yesterday” and 56% claim to get their five servings of fruits and vegetables. Those other 34% and 44% respectively are where supplements come in.   And if you eat more often at McDonald’s than from your garden, these first two recommendations are for you:

Multivitamin --consider it a nutritional insurance policy.  A recent study even linked a reduced risk of cancer with multivitamin use.  One-a-days are fine to start out with, but eventually you might want to graduate up to specialized formulas that meet your needs  (stress, age, sex, etc.).   Just make sure your formula gives you 100% of most nutrients and remember to take it consistently. 

Omega-3s – these are the good fats derived from fatty fish (salmon, herring).  Known as EPA and DHA, these fats support mental and heart health, as well as overall wellness.  Most Americans overeat omega-6 fats (found in many processed foods), but are deficient in omega-3s.  This unbalance can create havoc in the body.  Great article by Dr. Weil on Omega 3 vs. Omega 6.  If you aren’t eating fatty fish, try a supplement that has at least 1 gram of EPA/DHA combined. 

Even if you shop the local farmer’s market and eat your kale, egg yolks and flax seeds, there are two supplements I encourage everyone to take.  These two are super tough (or are inconvenient) to get through diet, but are super important:

Vitamin D3 – many Americans are deficient and don’t even realize it.  Your skin synthesizes vitamin D through sun exposure.  But due to daily sunscreen use, indoor jobs and living north of the Mason Dixon line, many of us don’t get enough sun (even in the summer months…and now with us heading into the winter). 

Vitamin D deficiency manifests itself in a number of ways, but the most common symptom is muscle weakness.  Vitamin D deficiency has also been recently linked to cancer. 

The easiest way to make sure you are getting adequate levels is to take a supplement.  Look for one with at least 1,000 IU (international units) of D3 as Cholecalciferol (D2 is also available but not optimal). 

Probiotics – Good health and immunity start in the gut; it is where the absorption of nutrients takes place.  There has been a lot of buzz around probiotics (good bacteria) recently, mostly due to Jamie Lee Curtiss and her Activia commercials.  Probiotics help keep your internal flora, or gut health, in balance.  I really like Pure Matters Complete Biotic because it is shelf stable (many probiotics aren’t) and also contains prebiotics (which feed the probiotics).  It does take about 2 weeks to notice significant changes in your, ahem, gut.

Week 6 -- Action 1

Start taking vitamin D3 every single day. 

Ideally, you’d be taking a multivitamin, vitamin D3, omega-3s and a probiotic, but we’ll start with baby steps :)

There is a lot of confusion about supplements (and wellness in general), so @ScaryMommy and I are going to schedule an online chat early next week where I will answer any questions you have about supplements, fitness, wellness…whatever!

www.purematters.com
    Because your health matters
  • Chocoholic
    @koren if we take a prenatal vitamin should we still be supplementing with a separate D3?
    The answer is chocolate. I don't care what the question is.
  • KorenKoren

@koren if we take a prenatal vitamin should we still be supplementing with a separate D3?

I'm guessing that you're probably covered, but you can check with your OB.  He/she can test your D levels too.  
    www.purematters.com
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    I already take a multi vitamin and recently started taking acidophilus, so I just need to add the other 2 in!!! Ill pick up some D3 tomorrow! 
    I am me, and I am loved
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I get plenty of sunshine, living in the desert, and while I wear sunscreen if I'm going to be out for extended periods, I don't in the 5-10 minutes I go the mailbox, and I think the Ca++ I take has added D3.  I do need to take Omega 3's, I took them while pregnant and bf'g.  I do try to eat tuna once a week, so I'm probably covered there, but I don't take extra.

Oddly, though I do give them to dd, in fact, because the fish highest in Omega 3's are also the highest in mercury. 
    :(
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    @koren Would you know if/how the Omega-3 pills affect people with seafood allergies? I seem to have issues with everything seafood. I've been wondering about this for awhile and have been hesitant to try the Omega-3 supplement because of my annoying allergy.
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • mommaOf2RottenBoysmommaOf2RottenBoys
    I take fish oil everyday to help Lower my chlosterol naturally.
    Life's like an hourglass glued to the table.........
  • 2fer1
    Are there any omega 3s that do not taste like fish. I know they are great for you but I can't handle the burping up fish.
  • Katescrazymom
    Yay, this is what I already take! But I only take the probiotics when I've had some 'tummy trouble'. I do eat yogurt that claims to have them almost every day.
  • irishlassirishlass
    @chocoholic, you are taking prenatal vitamins?!?!

I take a one-a-day and dose up on vitamin C when I'm not well. But I am going to check out exactly what's in my vitamins!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • BirdieBirdie
    Currently taking a multivitamin, b-12, biotin and fish oil. Will be adding in the probiotics.

SMSM_s_5

• PenguinsMommaPenguinsMomma
    I think the only vitamin i am not taking is a probiotic. My problem is to remember to take them. I will get on a good streach of time with taking them and then forget.
  • KorenKoren

@koren Would you know if/how the Omega-3 pills affect people with seafood allergies? I seem to have issues with everything seafood. I've been wondering about this for awhile and have been hesitant to try the Omega-3 supplement because of my annoying allergy.

@MarySunshine -- you can take Flaxseed Oil (either liquid or softgels), however this is a different type of omega-3 (ALA) that must be converted by the body.  You could also try Neuromins DHA, which is an algae form of omega-3.   
    www.purematters.com
  • KorenKoren
    2fer1 said:

Are there any omega 3s that do not taste like fish. I know they are great for you but I can't handle the burping up fish.

You want to look for a fish oil softgel that is enteric coated.  Be sure to take it with food or at night before bed.  Another alternative, which I prefer is Krill Oil.  The capsules are smaller and no fishy burps :)
    www.purematters.com
  • KorenKoren
    carolunea said:

I think the only vitamin i am not taking is a probiotic. My problem is to remember to take them. I will get on a good streach of time with taking them and then forget.

Ha!  You are not alone :)  I'm going to post some tips/tricks related to supplements tomorrow. 
    www.purematters.com
  • momoffiveteensmomoffiveteens
    I am vitamin D deficient. I am currently taking 50,000 IU a week as prescribed by my doctor, and still can not get a normal level of it. Is there anything else I can do to get up to a normal level. I am also deficient in Vitamin B-12 and take injections. Any suggestions is appreciated.
  • GalFriday

Under Dr.s advice, have already added all of these into my diet. Flax meal is an excellent source of Omega-3s and can be mixed into sauces,smoothies,  sprinkled on salads, yogurt. Somewhere around here I have the recipe for a quick easy microwave breakfast muffin that is made with flaxmeal and a few other healthy ingredients. I can try to find it if anyone is interested.

• LesboMomLesboMom
    I take vitamin D because I am allergic to milk and don't get near enough. And I live in the northeast. I do take a multi vitamin but not nearly as consistently as I should. And I have the same issue as a reader above....I hate the fishy burps...and I despise all kinds if fish and seafood.

confessional-manager

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow. -- Helen Keller
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    I take a vegan women's multivitamin with vitamin D and a surplus of B vitamins. Not really needing the probiotics because vegans get plenty of fiber :\">
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • GisleyandHank
    I'm really bad about vitamins, they're so expensive! I give them to the kids but have never gotten any for DH and I. I have them on the grocery list for next payday...
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    @koren
    Thank you!!
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • organicbabyorganicbaby
    I take multivitamins but I am feeling so tired lately that I am ready to try any other supplement so I will get the D3 one.
  • organicbabyorganicbaby
    I was checking for D3 supplements and these two pop up:
    - Women's Stress Multi-Vitamin Essentials
    - Vitamin D3 - 3000 IU

I am tired and stressed out is my second name. Do you think Women's Stress may cover my needs better than just Vitamin D3? I also take multivitamins, I have not been constant about it but I plan to since they know they help with the tiredness at least until I forget to take them again.
  • Rawrchu
    and Vitamin Bs!!!!  Don't forget your vitamin Bs!  A lot of women are low in it as well and it can lead to all kinds of health problems because the lack of Bs messes up your nerve system. @Organicbaby, this could be the missing link for you!

If you can, have your doctor do blood work on you to test your vitamin levels. It's very revealing. I don't absorb my vitamins like I should for some reason and am on mega doses trying to get my levels up. Also, not all vitamins are created the same because they are not regulated. You really do get what you pay for with vitamins.  Stay away from the cheap stuff that are full of filters. 
  • organicbabyorganicbaby
    thanks @Rawrchu This began after DD delivery, over three years ago. I had a hemorrhage and lost a lot of blood. My iron level recovered within few weeks but the tiredness set in. I will get some more specific blood work when I go back to Spain.
  • SammieSammie
    Just wanted to let everyone know that we will be hosting a chat event with @Koren on Thursday! If you have any questions to ask, or just want to hang out, please join us! Info here: http://www.scarymommy.com/message-board/index.php?p=/discussion/18461/pure-wellness-chat-thurs-pm#Item_5

community-manager

• KorenKoren

I'm really bad about vitamins, they're so expensive! I give them to the kids but have never gotten any for DH and I. I have them on the grocery list for next payday...

@GisleyandHank -- I know and it is sometimes hard for me to remember to take them!  If you have to prioritize, Vitamin D would be my first recommendation.  It is relatively inexpensive.  Fish Oil would be next -- just be sure to get higher quality so it is purified.  
    www.purematters.com
  • KorenKoren

I am vitamin D deficient. I am currently taking 50,000 IU a week as prescribed by my doctor, and still can not get a normal level of it. Is there anything else I can do to get up to a normal level. I am also deficient in Vitamin B-12 and take injections. Any suggestions is appreciated.

If you are working with your doctor, I would think that he/she would be the best source of guidance.  I can ask our dietitian on our Advisory Board and see what she says.  I'll let you know. 
    www.purematters.com
  • KorenKoren

I was checking for D3 supplements and these two pop up:
    - Women's Stress Multi-Vitamin Essentials
    - Vitamin D3 - 3000 IU

I am tired and stressed out is my second name. Do you think Women's Stress may cover my needs better than just Vitamin D3? I also take multivitamins, I have not been constant about it but I plan to since they know they help with the tiredness at least until I forget to take them again.

I take both -- a multi and extra D since there is only 1000 IU in the multi.
    www.purematters.com
  • faith4realfaith4real
    I take a Prenatal Vitamin everyday.
  • alexsmommy
    Ok, I so missed this week cause, well it was a crazy school week! But, I take a multi vitamin and a calcium supplement as well. My calcium also has Vitamin D in it because it is silly to take calcium without taking vitamin D; your body doesn't absorb calcium without vitamin D. So, I guess even though I missed this week, I really didn't miss it! LOL!
  • KorenKoren
    Good job @alexsmommy!
    www.purematters.com
  • just_care
    Can you take probiotics while pregnant?