Read any good books lately? Care to share?
  • 2callmemommy2callmemommy
    Help me keep my sanity.I have a 3 week old which means I'm up every night every 2 hours. I need some book recommendations. Something for me to read during these 2 am and 4 am feedings. I'm looking for something easy to read (I'm not always coherent at 4 am) and nothing to scary. I'm not into horror but I do Love Anne Rice and Laurell K Hamilton. (I have the whole Anita Blake series) otherwise I'll read just about anything as long as it can be downloaded to Kindle. Thanks Ladies.
  • AnonUser26
    Janet Evanovich, the numbers series. I promise you'll be hooked.
  • BeachyBeachy
    Sookie stackhouse books, fun easy read.
    Searching for my lost shaker of salt.
  • StarsStars
    Vampire for hire series. Fun read with a relate to character plot because she is a mother/vampire. Good books and not expensive.J.R rain is the author 
    apsycho

• PigeonPigeon
    Karen Chance, Lilith Saintcrow, Rachel Vincent, Kim Harrison - anything. Seriously, love love love these authors.

Beautiful disaster by Jamie Mcguire. Didn't think I'd like it, regularly got annoyed with "baby" being used as a term of endearment, but overall an interesting book. (It's a romance novel :\"> )
  • bombkittybombkitty
    I like the Kim Harrison ones, too.  Also the Jane Jameson books, I think the first one is Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs.  
    When I gave up on Anita Blake (don't get me started) I started reading the Queen Betsy books for fun.  I'm telling you, they are hilarious.  I think the first one of that series is Undead and Unemployed.  Totally made me snort coffee out my nose, the author is MaryJanice Davidson.
  • CrashCrash
    Oh no do tell us about your dislike for Anita Blake, @bombkitty. Was it all the orgies she was having? Or the continual, pages long rationalization to have sex that turned you off? Lol. 
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • AnonUser29
    Currently reading The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty. ERMAGERD
  • bombkittybombkitty
    GAH!  The flashbacks!  The disappointment welling up inside me!!  I was a faithful reader for years and YEARS.  I don't know what's worse, the so-called plots in the new books, the PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS, or the never ending string of boring sex partners.  I pretend there's no books after Obsidian Butterfly.

@silentscreamer, I read those years ago, they are WAY WAY better than 50 shades.  
    :x
  • OxiMOMOxiMOM
    I'm gonna 3rd the Kim Harrison books I LOVE the Hallows series but the first few books never fail left me wanting to order pizza lol
  • Sabzzy
    I'm about to read Slut Lullabies, whch has been continuously recommended to me...

If you like Palahniuk or Easton Ellis, you may enjoy it. 
    We buy things we don't need
    With money we don't have
    To impress people we don't like
  • shate98shate98
    If you like romance novels try Blackthorne's Bride by Shana Galen. Most of her books are good. Easy to read, fun and fast. I like them.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • bombkittybombkitty
    OMG, I just almost pissed myself laughing at this.  I thought 50 Shades of Gray was the biggest POS I ever read but I would buy the audiobook of this:

HAHAHA, cliTORis!
  • WillileeWillilee
    I just finished "The First Days" by Rhiannon Frater. Zombies. Surprisingly good. It's the first one in a series and I guess the second one is already out.
  • PigeonPigeon
    bombkitty said:

GAH!  The flashbacks!  The disappointment welling up inside me!!  I was a faithful reader for years and YEARS.  I don't know what's worse, the so-called plots in the new books, the PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS, or the never ending string of boring sex partners.  I pretend there's no books after Obsidian Butterfly.

@silentscreamer, I read those years ago, they are WAY WAY better than 50 shades.  
    :x

This is exactly why I'm convinced she's having a midlife crisis or she's just THAT unsatisfied with her husband that her fictional character requires over a dozen lovers to survive/love/fuck/gain powers from/rule the world.

At least the merry gentry series you expect there to be dozens of men since she is, afterall, desperately trying to get pregnant *snort* to survive.

Ugh just ugh. So disappointing.
  • bombkittybombkitty
    Yes.  I think that the Richard character was based on her XH, so she had to turn him into a huge pussy.  
    I just re-read the Merry Gentry series, not disappointing because they were like that to begin with.
    Just...no more!!

• MaryPoppins25
    I loved ~the pact by Jodi Picoult
  • CrashCrash
    Anything by Jodi Piccoult is great. Some are better than others, but I have never read a Jodi book that I thought was a waste of time, @eapple. Really lovely author.

And poor, poor Laurell Hamilton. I read the back flap of a gentry series book, and I was like, no thanks! At least the Anita Blake series had some action other than sex! I did read somewhere, on her blog maybe? That she was really having trouble with the latter part of the series, so the way I read it was, she had a contract to fulfill, but didn't know how to add any sort of twists in, or anything, other than just amping everything up. :(
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike

Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. Beautiful, life-affirming, funny, feel-good books that aren't sappy in the least. And set in Botswana, so they're exotic too.

The Port William books by Wendell Berry. They're stories about ordinary people in the fictional town of Port William, Kentucky, that span a couple of hundred years of the town's history. Wendell Berry's stories may be fiction, but they are truer than if they had actually happened.

The Chet and Bernie series by Spencer Quinn. They're mysteries narrated by the dog, Chet, and they are hilarious and suspenseful.

Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • MaryPoppins25
    @curious it's a book I could not put down, she did a fabulous job keeping me hooked right to the end!
  • wereallcrazy
    I'm sure everyone on the planet has already read and/or watched it, but I just finished Water for Elephants. I really liked the book, and totally didn't realize it was a movie. Most of the book I read in the middle of the night while up with the baby, so I know what you mean by the prerequisite of being an easy read haha.
  • CecileBes

hi!

Im looking for the books Bared to you and Reflected in you by Slylvia day,does anyone have them and not mind to email me?

• justkeepswimmingjustkeepswimming
    Beachy said:

Sookie stackhouse books, fun easy read.

THESE!
    When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.
    ~Oscar Wilde
    Cat Kitty Love Hugs Smilie Smiley Smilies Smileys Emoticon Emoticons Animated Animation Animations Gif
  • I can't remember who recommended "Seduction and Snacks". It was hilarious! The second book, "Frosting and Futures" was just as good!
    Get me a damn beer.
  • empty
    The Sociopath next door
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    I love Barbara Freethy and Kathleen Brooks! Barbara Freethy books are fun, light read, chick lit. Same with Kathleen Brooks, but she adds a touch of mystery/crime in with her romance. Both very good reads! Also, Barbara Freethy has free books every once in a while through amazon! :)
  • mills827
    I recently finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. It was a really good book.
  • Luvlyssa
    :( I can't find abraham lincoln vampire hunter digital for free anywhere! :(
    Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim.
  • BeerWenchBeerWench

I'm currently reading 'The Hundred Secret Senses: A Novel' By Amy Tan.  I've read everything by Lisa Sea - I seem to gravitate to historical Japanese and Chinese literature right now.

@2callmemommy that might be too much for you at 4am :)

:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•** She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten**•-:¦:-•:*'""*:• -:¦:-
  • oaklandmom
    I'm not a big vampire fan, but A Discovery of Witches was a really good read.
  • iritnusiritnus
    I just read an advance copy of Christina Freeburn's scrapbooking mystery "Cropped To Death." It's not scary/gory. If you happen to scrapbook, or even if you don't, you might like it.
    My scrapbooking blog: www.scrappingisheartwork.com
    My food blog: www.good-press.blogspot.com
  • cassiemaude
    I just finished all three of Gillian Flynns books. Those were really good.
    Also, What Alice Forgot.
    Oh, and The Glass Castle is a good one.
  • Ckwdjmommy
    I just finished reading addicted by Zane . Loved it .
  • tylersmom08
    I'm obsessed with the author Marie Force. her books are easy reads but long enough, and they are series which I love because I'm always sad when I finish one book and wonder what happens to those characters :)
  • French_momFrench_mom
    Omg @Luvlyssa I just finished Sweet and Snacks. I am in love with Gavin. And I laughed so much. Thank you for that gem of a book. I wont ever think of Barney the same way. Lol
    It is for me to know and you to dot dot dot.
  • wen0416wen0416
    Kind of skimmed the other responses, but yes, the Sookie Stackhouse books are AMAZING..and another series I LOVED was the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, by JR Ward.  She also started another series that is great so far, Fallen Angels.  And of course the Twilight books if you haven't read those yet.  And another book written by Stephanie Myers, The Host..GREAT book!
  • silk412
    Love the book"Seduction and Snacks". Its is s set of 3 book that are seriously LOL funny!
  • monstamomonstamo
    Best one I've read this year is "The Holden Age of Hollywood" by Phil Brody. Not a genre book at all.
  • KatDragonKatDragon
    I saw the movie The Help and considering get the book. Has anyone read it?
    "Fantastic!" 9th Doctor
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    if anyone has a barnes and noble account and wants to "borrow" ebooks......I'm totally up for it........
    I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • somanyboysandmesomanyboysandme
    I love the book Shes Come Undone by Wally Lamb. Anything by Lisa Jackson or Gardner, Harlan Coben, or Wendy Corsi Staub is good. For chik lit try Sophia Kinsella, Jane Green, Emily Griffin, Meg Cabot, and Jane Porter. Although there are tons more that is all i can think of now. Jodi Piccoult is also great.
  • onetimeonetime
    My most recent reads:

Room. Oh my goodness.

The Book Thief.... solo amazing

The I-5 killer and If You Really Moved Me by Ann Ruhl. So good!
    Suck it up buttercup!
  • taylorbz
    Nicky Charles writes a series about were-wolves-pretty good.  I also really enjoy the Stephanie Plum Novels.  They make me LOL everytime.  The Soul Screamer series by Rachel Vincent is pretty good as are the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones.  Have you tried Audible.com?  I listen to books at work and I love Audible!
  • LesboMomLesboMom
    @taylorbiz i loooves reading nicky charles....she actually got me hooked on werewolf novels.

@curious i got hooked on anita blake...then...yeah...too much guikt, sex with too many ppl, not enough edward, and the list goes on...i made my way through books 11 and 12 but im done with her.

I just read Forest of Hands and Teeth but was majorly unimpressed.

Im thinking if starting Wicked - the life and timesnof the wicked witch of the west

I love anything and everything Kay Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell.

James patterson us easy to read with his hakf a millikn 7 pagw chpters and predictable story lines.

confessional-manager

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow. -- Helen Keller
  • mchemm2010
    The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. So good.
  • junglezoo
    Just finished reading Best Kept Secret by Amy Hatvany. Really good read! It's about a single mom who starts having just one glass of wine to unwind after a long day dealing with her kid and slowly without her realizing it she becomes an alcoholic. Would definitely recommend it!

Question @bombkitty. How did you know @anonuser29 was/is @silentscreamer? I don't understand how people know who the anonusers are?

And anyone who has some good ebooks I'd love to borrow some! I have a blackberry playbook.
    I'm going to the zoo zoo zoo. You can come too too too....
  • MomenturesMomentures
    Guilty pleasure is The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning.  Set in Ireland.  Funny, steamy, and suspenseful paranormal story.  Highly recommend.  I was skeptical at first but was hooked right away. Very easy reading. 
  • bombkittybombkitty
    junglezoo said:

Just finished reading Best Kept Secret by Amy Hatvany. Really good read! It's about a single mom who starts having just one glass of wine to unwind after a long day dealing with her kid and slowly without her realizing it she becomes an alcoholic. Would definitely recommend it!

Question @bombkitty. How did you know @anonuser29 was/is @silentscreamer? I don't understand how people know who the anonusers are?

And anyone who has some good ebooks I'd love to borrow some! I have a blackberry playbook.

@Junglezoo, maybe she changed her identity?  I don't keep track at all of who is who.
  • Eowyn
    I agree with the Outlander books by Dianna Gabaldon. Very smartly written historical fiction with a strong intelligent female character. If you don't fall in love with Jamie Fraser I would be surprised. I can't figure out why these books haven't been as wildly popular as the Twilight books but I guess maybe it's because they aren't labelled young adult books. They've talked for years about making a movie or miniseries out of them but I bet finding the right man to play Jamie would be tough. I'm thinking Gerard Butler even if he doesn't have the Scottish red hair, at least he has the accent!! Over the years I have 're-read this series at least 4 or 5 times, it's just that good, and I miss the characters like old friends!
  • KrabbyKay

Guilty pleasure is The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning.  Set in Ireland.  Funny, steamy, and suspenseful paranormal story.  Highly recommend.  I was skeptical at first but was hooked right away. Very easy reading. 

Ooooh oooh! Yeah these too!!!! All these are my one BFF's fault!!! All she EVER reads is bucketloads of various romance...she reads as fast and as much as I do, but has a narrow band of taste in books. She let me have her dinosaur kindle, so I can read all the "trashy romances". I have Diana Gabaldon on my kindle too, but all the rest I read on hers! DG's friend, Sara -somethingorother-, has a good and similar series, too.
  • Luvlyssa
    Oh! btw 
    I was recently asked for the follow up to Seduction and Snacks (I mailed them to a ton of SM's for digital reading a few months ago.

And I have the next two that follow the couple. I read the sequel "Futures and Frosting" yesterday and it was good. I have NOT read "Troubles and Treats" yet

If anyone wants a mobi copy (so you can read it on your kindle) shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you all three :) 

They're light easy reads... 

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Seduction-Snacks-Chocolate-Lovers-ebook/dp/B008AZTUU8 link to the first one if you want to just read about it:)
    Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim.