Kids and shopping
  • cheesehead4ever
    Just got home from shopping with both DDs, ages 12 and 8. I have the worst headache from it.

So what do you think? Is it easier to just go when you can leave them at home? Or is it better in the long run to make them go with you so they learn how to properly behave out in public? Meaning no complaining, asking how much longer, picking on each other, dragging their feet in the store, not realizing that they are standing in the way of other customers, etc? At this point I am ready to sign up for grocery service and doing all future shopping on Amazon no matter what the cost.
  • CrashCrash
    I don't keep my kids with me when I shop, it's just easier that way. I send them off to the toy aisle. 
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I try to only take one. Gives them time apart and some one on one time with mommy for the one that goes along.

When I read the post title my first thought was "oh please God no!!!"
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • AnonUser27
    I'd rather not take my daughter. Unless its a quiet store like Gymboree bc they have a little tv area for the kiddos.
  • appalachianmomma

I try to only take one. Gives them time apart and some one on one time with mommy for the one that goes along.

When I read the post title my first thought was "oh please God no!!!"

Yep all around!  I do and thought pretty much the same thing!

• appalachianmomma

Apparently didn't quote correctly, sorry @katz_meow

• bluemom
    My kids are really well behaved in the stores, but it took years to train them that way and sometimes it was a nightmare. But, I still end up coming home with a headache because at least one of them talks the entire time, nonstop. Short of muzzling them, I can't think of a way to make them be silent, so I usually try to do my shopping alone if I'm going to be out a while or if I'm going to more than one store.
  • LLBLLB
    I loathe shopping with my kids. Sometimes they are angels in the store and other times they are awful. I can never read how they will be so its easier if I just avoid taking them with me.

I spent 4 years taking them with me on all errands and shopping trips. Now that they are in school I take full advantage and get everything done while they are at school. It helps save what little sanity I have left.
  • Unique_MommaUnique_Momma
    I only have DS (almost 2 years) at the moment, and it is fairly easy to shop with him. All I really have to do is keep an eye on him in case he gets grabby (he'll reach out for anything!). Most of the big shopping trips I go with my mom or one of my friends that way they can help keep an eye on him while I buy up the store to stock my freezers. It is gonna be a lot tougher next year because the twins will be here. I'm due January 22nd, but will most likely pop before that. DH works 6 days a week and I'm sure I will lose what little sanity I have left. Another side note...the twins are boys also...god help me  X_X
  • cheesehead4ever
    If they are alone with me, each one usually is at an 8 out of ten behavior wise. It's when I have the two of them together, I want to tip my hair out!
  • missmama5missmama5
    I only have one child, and he's six, so I do take him grocery shopping because he's very good but it can be overwhelming at times because he loves to talk. But that's just in general lol
  • sunnymommasunnymomma
    DD was an odd duck, she always asked for something "next time" I never had to buy her a damn thing! Once she threw a fit in the grocery store and I just picked her up and left, shocked her to no end. Never did that again! 
    I am me, and I am loved
  • OpheliaOphelia
    I've been trying to go while Ry is in school. When she's with me she runs all over and asks for everything she can reach.
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • SammieSammie
    Ophelia said:

When she's with me she runs all over and asks for everything she can reach.

Exactly what @ophelia said. I do have to run most of my errands with my daughter (almost 3), but it has become increasingly more nerve wracking over the last 6 months or so. Before that, I could plop her in the cart with a snack and a book or small toy and she'd just snack and chat with me. Occasionally she would grab at something or whine, but nothing major. Now she wants to walk beside me, but that doesn't last long and then she's running ahead of me, asking for everything, trying to "help" me by putting random items into the cart, etc. It's a mess, so while I do usually have to take her, I prefer to wait until my husband can tag along or hang out with her at home or the park while I run errands.

community-manager

• momofeveryonemomofeveryone
    i only shop on week nights if i can help it. around here the stores are nuts on sat and sun. my ds is almost 4 and is KILLING me w/ the whinny tone. so its either the crowds at the store or the whining, i cant od both!!!
    i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • momma2A
    So far I only have DD 21months and she always goes with me. I don't mind, but it is a treat the one or two times I haven't had to take her. She's so well behaved its really not a big deal. I've always been of the opinion that kids need to learn how to behave in public so I think she needs to come but I know too there are just bad days kids have and if she isn't on a good mood I'm not going to go shopping.

I just think its rediculous when a parent says they can't take their kids shopping cause they won't behave. You teach your kids how to act so in my opinion you haven't done your job as a parent.
  • LoveLove
    Ophelia said:

When she's with me she runs all over and asks for everything she can reach.

Exactly what @ophelia said. I do have to run most of my errands with my daughter (almost 3), but it has become increasingly more nerve wracking over the last 6 months or so. Before that, I could plop her in the cart with a snack and a book or small toy and she'd just snack and chat with me. Occasionally she would grab at something or whine, but nothing major. Now she wants to walk beside me, but that doesn't last long and then she's running ahead of me, asking for everything, trying to "help" me by putting random items into the cart, etc. It's a mess, so while I do usually have to take her, I prefer to wait until my husband can tag along or hang out with her at home or the park while I run errands.

Exactly this. Spawn use to be a breeze to take anywhere. Now he doesn't want to ride in the buggy, pitches a omg murder fit when I make him, but wreaks havoc if I let him walk...
    It's better when it's just me and him though, instead of ALL the kids. The others are big enough and extremely well-behaved, but I think just the sight of them walking and getting to look at things exacerbates Spawn.

community-manager

• PigeonPigeon
    I don't shop with DD unless someone is with me. Yes she gets bored, yes she gets whiny etc but that's not my problem. My problem is that she's TALL for her age. And by that I mean she's managed to climb/fall out of the cart a few times when I turned away to grab something. Scared the living FUCK out of me. Bad enough I refuse to take her shopping if there's a chance I'll have to look away from her and nobody is with me.
  • MorganD
    My kids are kept in check. I'm like a warden for a prison. If they step out of line, they go into solitary confinement, aka The Corner. ;)
  • Sabzzy
    My DD just wants to break dance everywhere. I swear. Every time we go out she's doing her own rendition of Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo. As long as we're in any type of store, she doesn't stop dancing. Ever. 

We buy things we don't need
    With money we don't have
    To impress people we don't like
  • serenitynowserenitynow

my oldest hates to go shopping so she'll stay home, unless she absolutely has to go. my middle one likes to go pretty much anywhere so alot of times i'll take her just to have someone to come with. and my youngest doesn't care either way.

they all behave and are no problem when they do go. and sometimes my dh tells me to go myself and by something for ME, but i have a hard time. not the part of going by myself, the part of buying myself something. i usually talk myself out of it because it's usually something we don't need.

• Emmasmom04Emmasmom04
    depends what the trip is for.  A big shopping trip, yeah she stays at home with my bf.  a small trip I can bring her because she doesn't get to anxious.  She has gotten better tho when we go to the store, she understands I am not made of money and I can't get everything she see's.
  • babablacksheepbabablacksheep
    I have 3 kids and I try to go alone if I can or only take 1. When I have all 3 I have to remind them constantly that we are a choo choo NOT a wall!!!! Line up so others can get by us. I am always apologizing to people!!!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Mine is good when I take her, which is all the time since I don't have anyone with whom to leave her most of the time. In fact, I've always bragged about how good she is in public.  

However, she made a liar out of me a week or so ago at the grocery store and I was wishing I could drop her off at the nearest fire station before I was half way through my grocery shopping!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • mills827
    I would MUCH rather shop alone. I don't get to though. Ever.
  • Justthemom
    I like to go shopping alone but I usually take one or more of my 3 kids with me. They are pretty well behaved. I do hate to go to the store (or anywhere!) With my sil and nieces and nephew. Those kids run wild!
  • just_care
    I do 90% of shopping alone after dd goes to sleep. She will not stay in a cart. Anytime that I have to take her with me, it is to dash in & out.
  • JazBearLilyJazBearLily
    i usually only take my dd3 with me when i go shopping, dd10 and ds6 are in school. but...if i had a choice, i wouldnt take her anywhere! she refuses to sit in a cart, throws screaming fits on the floor, puts whatever she wants in the cart, and just acts wild! shes a crazy one! if her dad comes with tho, she is the perfect angel! so not fair!
  • shannahbananashannahbanana
    If its my DS2 its not so bad, but if my daughters 17 and 8 are with me, forget it...going to the store by myself is like a little vacation. Then when I get home its a whole other story..."what did you get for me" "eeeww, I don't like that!" Lol
  • mommy3
    I try to do most of my shopping while the kids are in school. During summer months when they have to come we go on Friday mornings when they are not busy and hubby's off work so he can help. 
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    What I want to know is what kind of an asshole invented the car carts?  They're impossible to steer, the back wheels don't touch even with a full load of groceries.

Every effing time I have to get one, I want to scream!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • Mommyof485
    I only like to go early on the weekend when it's not to crowded and then I normally just take my older two.
  • CherryfriesCherryfries
    I have always taken my daughter shopping with me from the time she was a baby. She learned proper shopping etiquette (if there is such a thing) and now that she's 11, I still love taking her with. The only time I don't take her is when I am about to go Christmas shopping for her.  :-)   I also hate going shopping on the weekends in general.
  • RinRin
    My sons are 4 and 5 and if i can.avoid taking them shopping for anything i do! I hate shopping to begin with but they make it my worst nightmare
    "There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart.. .pursue those"
  • roobear8408roobear8408
    I dont take my with me or my husband saves me about 50 per trip. They hate it but it gives me time alone and plus I get what I need and I am out.
  • I have to take mine with me, but I'd rather not. My 2 yo loves going and behaves well but my two youngest ones aren't too fond of it.
    Mommy of three littles 3 and under. I need a nap. :)
  • jfletch1719
    I hate shopping period. I don't enjoy it. I'm not good at it. It exhausts me.
  • PrincessPeach

What I want to know is what kind of an asshole invented the car carts?  They're impossible to steer, the back wheels don't touch even with a full load of groceries.

I am guessing the inventor never did a test run with their own kids and a cart full of groceries. I hate those dang carts-totally useless. Half the time the seat has some unknown goo in it. I will be glad when my daughter grows out of wanting to ride in one. I hate having that argument BEFORE going into the store. "I want one, then I want out, then I want to push." I try to get away with saying its broken that's why it's outside...sometimes it works.
  • GisleyandHank
    I advocate for taking kids places to teach them how to behave BUT when I shop I need quiet so I can shop sales and don't impulse-buy. I take DS1 shopping while DD5 is at school and that works well.
  • GisleyandHank
    @BellaBefana I was going to say the same thing! One of the reasons I don't take DD anymore is because she always freaks out about wanting a car-cart and then won't stay in it and I have to push the stupid thing all over the store. I think I've written a confession about this.
  • january
    Why do kids think they can get away and talk to you any type away. Laugh at you after you punish them. I dont know wat im going to do with my girls.
  • deviltwinsmommadeviltwinsmomma
    not any more. they all have gotten worse with age. it's a flipping nightmare if i do take all of them. one is on the ground throwing a fit the other too are fighting with each other or grabbing shit and throwing it in the cart. f that noise. they know that mommy can't go nuts in public... but it's on like donkey kong when we get home.
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy

YES!!! I hate those carts with a passion!! If I have ds with me at the grocery store we have to get one of those or he throws a tantrum! They suck and are so extremely dirty! They need to ditch them ASAP!!!