Food stamps... how much do we really pay?
  • bellabearbellabear
    i hate the whole food stamp program. when i was prego with my first dd. my and H applied for food stamp assistance. they gave us $348 a month. why the hell do two ppl need that much money a month. it was awesome cuz we could buy whatever food we wanted but stupid at the same time cuz it was such a waste of tax payers money. we got off food stamps a year later and got a notice in the mail 2 years later saying we owed them $500. wth!!!! they said they over payed us. and that is our fault how????? hate hate hate goverment programs. will rather starve than trust them again. oh and now they take money from my H check every month. to make sure we pay them back. stupid.
  • momofeveryonemomofeveryone
    when my sister and mom both got fired after the 08 crash they went on unemployment. bc Ohio paid them 'too much' (right.....) they owed 700 and 1200 respectivly. they pay on it but not a whole lot bc (shocker!) they still need to live! it irritates me, i think im moving to canada....
    i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • anxiousmama27
    I will say this.  I am on foodstamps.  I'm not proud of it, but my husband lost his job and so far is only getting temp work and there is no way i can feed my family of  3 with my small paycheck of around $300 a week.  We have bought steak with them, but not the crazily expensive steak, more like the $3 cut of steak that is real thin.  There is a whole class of working poor people that people don't think about that are on these benefits.  not everyone on foodstamps is at home sitting around doing nothing.  Just bear that in mind.
  • jdb
    i dont think little kids should every have to feel poor or go with out or even not get to enjoy a treat because the family ant afford it or is on government help, unfortunatly there are are people who use and abuse and it effects peoples opions of everyone on the gov help. its a shame): i think people know who you are and what your needs are and if you need it take it but if you dont then be a stand up person and quit dicking everyone around.
  • Sabzzy
    I know two people who were on food stamps when they were laid off and had to pay some back because they were overpaid, despite having no way to tell they were being overpaid. It's not the recipient's fault someone else made a boo boo unbeknownst to them...
    We buy things we don't need
    With money we don't have
    To impress people we don't like
  • SidneyMarieSidneyMarie
    Honestly, as someone who has received snap benefits in the past, I really wish there were more regulations. With all the paperwork and pamphlets tossed around, I believe it would be rather simple to put together a 'healthy eating' brochure to send to recipients. Restricting snap items to 'real' food, excluding all that soda and snack food, should be easy enough. WIC is capable of doing it.

Perhaps if it only covered whole grain crackers and fat free fiber cookies companies would be more likely to push sales on such items. I'm far more concerned with people spending money on junk food and unnecessary beverages than lobster. Lobster is a stupid decision, but junk food is just lazy and unhealthy. I'm a full time working single mom and I can find the fifteen minutes it takes to make peanut butter oatmeal cookies.
  • justkeepswimmingjustkeepswimming

Just read the whole thread, and

@Gingersnap @Charlotte_Sometimes and @WildandFree I think I have a crush on you! :x

@irishlass we've had differing opinions before, but after this thread I think I want to fly out there to get drunk with you and hear what you have to say! I may not always agree, but you are AWESOOOOOME! And I'm sorry you had to go through that tragedy :(

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.
    ~Oscar Wilde
    Cat Kitty Love Hugs Smilie Smiley Smilies Smileys Emoticon Emoticons Animated Animation Animations Gif
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @justkeepswimming - I'm flattered  :x
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • AnonUser32AnonUser32
    So based off the calculations we pay a little over a dollar a day to fund welfare. That's like 40$ a month. I know people who trade their foodstamps for money/drugs, their children aren't fed or taken care of. So what I'd like to see is them print off cards like they do, but put a name on it. And like a credit card you have to check id to be able to use it. Take the ebt logo off the front, put it on back so it isn't obvious. Maybe do like you get to pick a color so it looks like a normal card? And since they already print cards w color and a logo it shouldn't take a whole lot of $ to change. Just an idea.
    Without reason you have Rhythm and Rhyme the type of girl who knows how to have a good time... You take what you want except no for an answer... And I know first hand you're one hell of a dancer... So calling all cars and low and behold you're a real livewire with a heart of gold
  • irishlassirishlass
    High fucking five @justkeepswimming, come on over for a cider a a bowl of icecream, berries and melted chocolate :D
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • Rachely
    i dont think ten cents is that much to ask

• carriejocarriejo
    I make too much to qualify for any sort of help, but once the bills are paid, there's only enough for gas or groceries, not both. Most of my bills are late b/c I have to spend the money on food. 
  • faery74faery74
    I think people are way to judgemental of people who need help from the government.  I get ridiculed, but they do not know my situation and until you have walked a day in someone else's shoes you should not assume anything.
  • bizabethl
    Wow, some people are so mean. You talk about people on food stamps as if they are lazy and live off the government. Most people who are on food stamps are like me, working full time but after paying the bills there is almost nothing left over for food. So you poor people who have to pay a small portion of your taxes to help feed my family, I will gladly trade places with you because 50,000 a year is 3x my yearly pay and I support 5 people.
  • spaztasticmommyspaztasticmommy
    I think snap is a great program and is wonderful when it is done correctly but I know personally my family is going through a terrible time financially and because I work to help pay our bills we "make too much money" to qualify for snap. Although our bills are much more than what comes house every week and the really crappy part is if I didn't work we would quaify but then we would be in a much worse financial situation. So DH and I have taken 2nd jobs to pay for everything. How sad is that?
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @spaztasticmommy - It is sad. I'm sorry you're having a rough time. That sucks. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • AmberJean85
    I've been on both sides. I have received them myself and I also know people who abuse the system. I am now a single mother of 3 children who recently lost her job. With my unemployment compensation, I barely meet the guidelines to receive food stamps. I receive $240 a month. However, my lying sister reports that her husband doesn't live with her and that they have "0" income. So, she gets $526 a month in food stamps and also $187 a month KTap (equivalent to the welfare check). On top of that, she "sells" her food stamps and buys things like marijuana and cigarettes. This angers me so much and I have even reported her for fraud but somehow she still gets away with it. It's sooooo aggravating.
  • GritsGrits

I've been on both sides. I have received them myself and I also know people who abuse the system. I am now a single mother of 3 children who recently lost her job. With my unemployment compensation, I barely meet the guidelines to receive food stamps. I receive $240 a month. However, my lying sister reports that her husband doesn't live with her and that they have "0" income. So, she gets $526 a month in food stamps and also $187 a month KTap (equivalent to the welfare check). On top of that, she "sells" her food stamps and buys things like marijuana and cigarettes. This angers me so much and I have even reported her for fraud but somehow she still gets away with it. It's sooooo aggravating.

That is exactly why the system needs reform. Republicans are trying to say that Obama ended work requirements for welfare. Really? because I've never had a work requirement placed on me to receive food stamps. The whole process needs an overhaul. But unfortunately, it probably won't happen anytime soon. There are people who abuse their benefits, but take some solace in knowing that your sister can only receive cash benefits for 5 years in her lifetime, no matter how many kids she has. At some point, the cash benefits will stop, and she'll have to find another way. Just take pride in doing the right thing yourself.

And @spaztasticmommy, I was in that very situation about 5 years ago. We're still trying to dig ourselves out of the hole we landed in when I got pregnant. It was horrible. It is very disheartening to think that working isn't rewarded as much as not working in this country.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • peach27
    There is no shame in having food stamps. I am very thankful to live in a country where there is no excuse to go hungry. Hungry people are angry and desperate. If we didn't feed our people crime rates would be worse. I have had food stamps in the past and use the food bank now. I did what I had to do to get by and now we are in a much better place. I understand that not everyone can or does use welfare to better their situation though. 

On the other hand I lived in a small town where 50% of the population was unemployed and on welfare. People talked about having children so they could get food stamps. Utterly ridiculous. I felt robbed that my DH and I worked our asses off so other people didn't have to. And, we still didn't make enough to live comfortably. I know that many of these people could have found jobs if they had stopped being lazy and been willing to do more. I knew them personally and saw exactly what my tax dollars were doing. 
  • Insane_Mombrain
    I use my food stamps to buy convenience foods--lots of microwavable frozen dinners (although I do make sure they're as healthy as possible--lots of veggies, little sauce, etc.) to feed my three small children. Trust me, I would LOVE to cook and bake actual food, but until I can save $300 (out of the $1000 we live on each month--not TANF, but Social Security survivor's benefits) to have the electricians come out for the third time in nine months, my oven/stove don't work so we rely on microwave and crock pot meals. I HATE the judgmental customers and employees in grocery stores, even though I'm using my resources to the best of my ability.
  • jaimedawn
    i have so many thoughts on this subject i dont even know where to start.
  • flowerchildren

I use my food stamps to buy convenience foods--lots of microwavable frozen dinners (although I do make sure they're as healthy as possible--lots of veggies, little sauce, etc.) to feed my three small children. Trust me, I would LOVE to cook and bake actual food, but until I can save $300 (out of the $1000 we live on each month--not TANF, but Social Security survivor's benefits) to have the electricians come out for the third time in nine months, my oven/stove don't work so we rely on microwave and crock pot meals. I HATE the judgmental customers and employees in grocery stores, even though I'm using my resources to the best of my ability.

I don't have an oven either (I can't afford an electrician, either), but I do have an electric roaster. It cooks everything the oven does, and is under fourty dollars. I have literally cooked a whole thanksgiving dinner in it.

The snap program is so important. I really hope it doesn't get gutted by budget cuts.

• 2isenuff84
    My only bitch is the harder you work the less help you receive. I think if you are getting assistance and not working not do to a disability or other qualifying reason, you should have to show proof of applying for employment. I also think family members food allergies should be taken in to consideration. We have a household of 4 people all of whom have food allergies and it cost an arm and a leg to feed our household. I think people with special food needs should be allotted extra.
  • peach27

My only bitch is the harder you work the less help you receive. I think if you are getting assistance and not working not do to a disability or other qualifying reason, you should have to show proof of applying for employment. I also think family members food allergies should be taken in to consideration. We have a household of 4 people all of whom have food allergies and it cost an arm and a leg to feed our household. I think people with special food needs should be allotted extra.

The nice thing is food banks are not very picky about who they give food out to. They do have income limits, but they do not check your income. It's a great cushion for people who are barely making it, but don't qualify for help. We also have a lot of special dietary needs, Using the food bank makes it possible for us to buy the expensive food we need to supplement our diets. If you were on a gluten free diet I have no idea what you would do if you had no money though. I have mentioned this to the food bank before and have seen a few items come through that are gluten free, but it's hard to get. 
  • faith4realfaith4real
    The pros and cons.  Two sides to a story.
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    @peach27 and others who use a food ban, those places rely heavily on donations. If gluten free isn't donated then the panty isn't going to have it.

My grandmother volunteers at a pantry, and I know when they're low on certain types of things, they target specific organizations asking for donations. An example. Pantry was in need of feminine sanitary needs, so the director contacted curves to see if they'd do a drive for those products. Think about it, who better than a group of women who understand that these products are necessary and can be expensive.

Perhaps you could suggest targeting a specialty store to start a drive for gluten free products. Couldn't hurt.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • Insane_Mombrain

@peach27 and others who use a food ban, those places rely heavily on donations. If gluten free isn't donated then the panty isn't going to have it.

My grandmother volunteers at a pantry, and I know when they're low on certain types of things, they target specific organizations asking for donations. An example. Pantry was in need of feminine sanitary needs, so the director contacted curves to see if they'd do a drive for those products. Think about it, who better than a group of women who understand that these products are necessary and can be expensive.

Perhaps you could suggest targeting a specialty store to start a drive for gluten free products. Couldn't hurt.

Sanitary products are something a lot of people don't think about. Back when I was a position to be a "helper" instead of a "helpee" a woman I knew through church asked me for help to get some feminine products for her young teen daughter. The mom was embarrassed and apologetic, but they were in a position where they were living on their SNAP benefits and she had no way to get her daughter the supplies she needed. It really opened my eyes--I had never considered the "necessary" items that can't be purchased with food stamps. Since then (even now, as often as I can!) I've made it a point to donate these items, along with other personal care and cleaning supplies.

For all of you Super Couponers (this was me before I had kids, lol) you might think about donating these supplies to food banks and shelters. I know when I was REALLY couponing I could get feminine products, razors, deodorant and laundry soap for pennies. These are the types of things that will make a huge difference in someone's life!
  • I wish we could say that we did not need food stamps but it is the only way we can survive eating for an entire month, I am starting to get to where I can buy groceries. But it is hard being working poor.
    "Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save."
    -Will Smith
  • CherryfriesCherryfries
    I can't read what everyone has written because I know that things have been said that are true of some people. There are users out there who do fraud the government. But I have needed the help. My DD's "father" doesn't pay child support and hadn't. Before I have people judge me, please know that I have worked hard but my pay has never come close to what is needed for rent, for electricity, for food, for clothing for my daughter. My closet is full of old clothes and I truthfully need more clothes. I have had humbling experiences with Christmas help for my daughter. Without the food stamps, I couldn't feed us. Without WIC, I couldn't get formula for my daughter (my milk never came in for those who want to judge me).
  • daddyoftwo
    what really makes me mad it that the people who need it dont get it and the people who do it them sale them for cash. its so messed up!
  • ROMA17
    I had to have them while raising my brother for 7 years. now with my husband and I working we dont qualify for our son, ugh. they say they want to pee test me, which I WILL pass but what a huge invasion of privacy.
  • 3223L3223L
    I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at the fact that anybody here thinks they have the right to limit what food somebody can buy with their food stamps. I've been on food stamps and I can tell you that anybody that thinks that someone on food stamps is living the life is highly diluted. If you qualify for food stamps, you are not making much money. Period. I was on them when my daughter was younger and they shut me off as soon as I started making more money. If somebody wants to but lobster with their food stamps, who are you to judge? How do you know they're not splurging just that one day because it happens to be their kid's birthday? How do you know it's not for their 20th anniversary? Not to mention such a small percentage of taxes goes to this. I honestly believe your time would be better spent on another battle.
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    @insane_mombrain, have you tried looking on craigslist or freecycle (yahoo group) for a stove? You can get one for free or at least really cheap! That's where I got my current stove from. It's older but it works!!
  • Insane_Mombrain
    @chaosmom, thanks, but it's actually the power to the stove, not the stove itself. I'm getting close to being able to get it fixed!
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    @insane_mombrain, ahhh that sucks. Hope you do get it fixed soon! I know it's got to be a pain in the butt!
  • lbm05trr09
    they need to fix the system big time people who truely need the help get nothing but a slap in the face people that refuse to work that can get everything handed to them on a gold platter!!!
  • beambeam
    I don't think the system need much fixing... I think we just need fair wages.
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • elisetyler
    Hi I am new here and not sure if it has been addressed or not as i dont have time to go through all the comments. Im never going to fault people for needing any assistance. When i think of corprate giants getting corprate welfare (which is nearly double that of all social welfare) big oil getting 4 billion a year and walmart getting at least 1 billion a year. And it is welfare because no goods or services are given in exchange. There are others getting this form of welfare just cant list right now. I wonder how many of you complain about YOUR tax dollars going to these giants? Why are so many people cart nazis? Why are you watching so closely to see what other people buy? If food stamps are ended today do you realize the economic impact it would have on you? Your prices for food will more than double because food stamps help subsidize the cost of everyones food. So many stores will have to shut down because those ebt cards bring huge proffits for stores. You dont think places like walmart take ebt out of the kindness of thier hearts do you? Well its all about proffit margin. please forgive gramatical errors and miss spellings as i am typing from a phone.
  • Kenb
    WOW!! What a heated topic!! Bottom line is you qualify for assistance than get it!!
  • lbm05trr09
    They do need to fix it my fiance and i r both unemployed i bring in nothing he brings in 405the unemployment a week family of four and we only get 6.00 a month...... i was laid of one month ago amd just wanted help till we were on our feet again thanks nys for the 6.00 a month but at the same time i feel like its a slap in the face......i dont sit on my butt ive worked since i was 14 and am a volunteer firefighter ....... i pay in so y cant i get the help when i need it......
  • beambeam
    @Ibm05trr09 - something is amuck in your file, two adults unemployed with two children, that would probably qualify your family... Is there any missing information?  I have never had to use assistance so I don't personally know the eligibility requirements. At the very least, you should be getting foodstamps.

I saw this at http://www.welfareinfo.org/ (below), but maybe @Love or @Grits know which SMs have legal knowledge about the ins and out of the system?

Eligibility Requirements for State Welfare Program

Eligibility for a Welfare program depends on numerous factors.
    Eligibility is determined using gross and net income, size of the
    family, and any crisis situation such as medical emergencies, pregnancy,
    homelessness or unemployment. A case worker is assigned to those
    applying for aid. They will gather all the necessary information to
    determine the amount and type of benefits that an individual is eligible
    for.

The Federal government provides assistance through TANF
    (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). TANF is a grant given to each
    state to run their own welfare program. To help overcome the former
    problem of unemployment due to reliance on the welfare system, the TANF
    grant requires that all recipients of welfare aid must find work within
    two years of receiving aid, including single parents who are required to
    work at least 30 hours per week opposed to 35 or 55 required by two
    parent families. Failure to comply with work requirements could result
    in loss of benefits.
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • beambeam
    @elisetyler - Right on!
    Walmart, one of wealthiest families in the world, who made billions in profit, made employees pay more for health insurance and did not raise their pay, do not pay overtime and they offset the amount they pay workers as most employees receive foodstamps...in other words the government, our taxes PAY a part of their salary for Walmart (and on top of that they get a big fat corporate welfare check).

• GritsGrits

They do need to fix it my fiance and i r both unemployed i bring in nothing he brings in 405the unemployment a week family of four and we only get 6.00 a month...... i was laid of one month ago amd just wanted help till we were on our feet again thanks nys for the 6.00 a month but at the same time i feel like its a slap in the face......i dont sit on my butt ive worked since i was 14 and am a volunteer firefighter ....... i pay in so y cant i get the help when i need it......

The SNAP guidelines have been raised. But when you apply, they ask for income for the last 2 months. If you have been laid off, all they need is a statement from someone who knows your situation but doesn't live with you. UI benefits are automatically reported. $405/wk translates to roughly $1600/month. For a family of 4, you should qualify for more than $6/month. I'd go reapply. make sure you turn everything in ASAP so the case can be worked as quickly as possible. And if you tell me what state you're in, I can find you the guidelines for your state. In my state, the breakdown is this:

Household SizeMaximum Gross Monthly IncomeMaximum Gross Monthly Income for households that contain an elderly or disabled member
    1$1452$1816
    2$1961$2452
    3$2472$3090
    4$2980$3726
    5$3489$4362
    6$4000$5000
    7$4508$5636
    8$5017$6272
    9$5528$6910
    10$6038$7548
    each additional member+$510+$638

"I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • SchweddyBallsSchweddyBalls
    @Grits.....she's in NY
    From what info I found total household income for 4 must be under $2349. I'm thinking she needs to follow up and reapply........since it was only last month she was laid off, that income is still being counted.

I'm the nicest person you will ever meet, UNTIL you fuck with me or the betches I love.......
  • GritsGrits
    @SchweddyBalls, that's exactly what she needs to do.

@lbm05trr09, take any and all documentation you have--proof of residence, heating and cooling expense, SS#s for anyone who lives in the house, photo ID for you and your DH, a statement from a friend or family member that certifies that you are not working, and they may want your former employer to fill out a form verifying your last date of employment. Case workers are busy, and sometimes dismissive, but if your family needs SNAP benefits, then push for it. Call them once a week until you get your benefits. And contact your ombudsman if you feel like you were unfairly denied. You should be eligible, and based on your income, I would bet that your children qualify for Medicaid if they don't already have it.
  • elisetyler
    @beam absolutely! and it used to be that a walmart employee got health and dental after 90 days now you must be full time for a year to get it. But most people wont be hired full time. Walmart makes 20,000 dollars a minute and still this is how they operate.
  • ElizabethElizabeth

Funny how several people on my FB posted food stamp purchases by strangers that included meat and fish-they are all way beyond chubby and judging other people's eating habits!STFU already and MYOB.

• Quietmom
    Just as an FYI, emergency assistance through welfare is crap. We had no money, no food and no income when we came into the state.. My car was our address, and we STILL had to wait 30 days for any kind of "help." By then I had a job and moved in with my parents. They had zero help or resources for us and we had a small child and no roof. It's complete crap.
    Like a river and a waterfall, a strong person channels their own path...
  • peach27
    I've been thinking about this a lot recently and I believe that welfare should be temporary like unemployment. I've met people who have been on welfare their whole lives and strategically do things in order to stay on it. I've been on welfare before and used it to get to a point in my life where I didn't need it anymore. People are driven by need and given the chance to not do anything will usually take the easy way out. I know that because I'm certainly tempted to do it! 

I think that many poor people end up being overweight because bad food is cheaper. It's not that they are eating more or even too much. But, when the food bank gives you boxes and boxes of Hamburger helper, bread, and desserts what are you supposed to do? When I went to a food bank that chose the food for you I ended up with a lot of crap. We need to educate people about what is healthy eating and then make sure that food is stocked in food banks. Now I can choose what I want at the food bank and I end up with the healthy food. The food that most everyone else passed over. In my current food bank they only let you take one dessert item. Eating health first takes money and then you also have to have knowledge about what is good for you. If you aren't used to eating that way it can also be difficult to train your body to want to eat healthy. I'm sure it can be a shock. 

• DontpooponthedogDontpooponthedog
    I think the reason we (as a whole) are more judgemental on public entitlements like welfare instead of corporate entilements is because our thinking process.  I remember a story a few years back about Warren Buffet (I'm in Omaha- so we get all the stupid stories about him) and he was stating how he received his check from dining one night and when reviewing it he realized he was over charged about $10. One of the people he was with started to tease him about asking the check to be reworked because he's a billionaire.  How could $10 effect  a billionaire's lifestyle?  Buffet explained that it wasn't the principle of the matter, and no it wouldn't effect his lifestyle, but smaller amounts of money is engrained in us to understand.  Nothing in our everyday lives cost a billion dollars, so we don't understand what a billion dollars can buy.  We can try to understand, but our brains don't actually compute it. (Try to imagine your living room with one billion one dollar bills.  You will imagine a room filled to the brim with money and no additional room- but in reality, the amount you are actually thinking of that you think of as one billion, looks exactly the same as if I stated to imagine a room filled with one hundred million one dollar bills.  Now imagine your room with 10 one dollar bills...this is a lot easier to do.)  So anyway, the reason we are accepting of corporate entitlements are because this mentality.  We understand people getting "free" hundreds of dollars for food- it's computable.