Superstitions
  • FoulMouthedSailorFoulMouthedSailor
    So I'm bored at work, and @bombkitty mentioned in another thread superstitions are rampant in the military. But I want to see other peoples superstitions.

I keep sharks teeth glued in my boots for good luck, it's an old Faroese tradition.
    If I'm deployed, Charms candy will never be touched, and I make sure every one throws them away.
    I don't like when I'm in a group and some one splits a pole, I make them take their ass right around it.
    I don't walk over the head of a grave, it's bad luck.
    Dw is Jewish, so she put a Mezuzah on every door going out side, and on the inside of our vehicles. I touch them religiously, even though I'm a nihilists, hoping her good luck rubs off on me.
    I also leave blót on Norse holidays, just in case.
    You show the lights that stop me turn to stone, You shine it when I'm alone. And so I tell myself that I'll be strong
    And dreaming when they're gone.
  • AutumnAutumn

I hold my breath whenever driving past a cemetary.
    I also don't walk over the head of a grave.
    I won't walk underneath ladders.

I think that's all?

• beachmommybeachmommy
    I never bet for or against my football team.  Even for a friendly bet.  And any time I have, they have lost.
    My beach is still Sandy....
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
    @MammaTeeRoll no salt here but I do have small gargoyle statues angled at our doors.
    You show the lights that stop me turn to stone, You shine it when I'm alone. And so I tell myself that I'll be strong
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    oooooo I love superstitions!  The only ones I can think of at the moment, is the Evil Eye and when your left palm itches money's going out, when your right one itches somebody's going to give you money!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • LA_PygmyHerderLA_PygmyHerder

I do the salt thing. On window sills too.

I keep a horseshoe above our door for goodluck.

I leave bread, milk, and a nip of alcohol outside the back door on certain holdays. Last year I thoroughly flipped out when a perfect circle of mushrooms was in a neighbor's yard

I make black eyed peas and collard greens on new years day. I also will not sweep or wash clothes on that day.

I made little charm bags with bits of things and hung them in my kids' rooms to keep bad dreams and bogies away

When I pick fruits and veggies or kill a deer while hunting, I thank it. My husband thinks I'm a lunatic.

• BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I forgot the black eyed peas, I do that too on New Years.   I also don't walk on graves...that just creeps me out.

I want to know more about the bread, milk and booze @LA_PygmyHerder...I assume that's for fairies?

I also believe in the horseshoes...but they must be in the upward, u-shape, or the luck runs out...

let's, making a wish on the first start out at night, and/or a shooting star,

toss salt over my shoulder if I spill it...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • deviltwinsmommadeviltwinsmomma
    I do the salt thing too.
    I do the sign of the cross when passing a church and cemetery.
    I burn candles with saints on them with a parchment paper underneth the candle with my prayers.
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • AnonUser26
    I bought a horseshoe charm bracelet to wear at my wedding, my Irish family members insisted and I also have a six pence for my shoe, the same one my mom used when she married my daddy. My old is a wristlet handbag from his Mom from the seventies, my new is my shoes, my blue is my mom's sapphire ring (the first gift my dad ever bought her), and my borrowed I haven't figured out yet.
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
    @BellaBefana There are several different peoples that leave out some kind of food offering. For land wights, fairies, spirits, etc. The milk, bread, and booze is a traditional offering to the fae, but also the land wights in norse. And I used to not do it very often, but freaky things happen here. I'm covering my butt just in case lol 
  • AnonUser26
    A lot of people ask me about the six pence, the tradition actually goes: Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue and a sixpence for your shoe. Just for you other brides out there!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    so when are you supposed to do this?  I absolutely believe in fairies... ;)
    Bite me, cupcake!
    @BellaBefana Full moons, soltices, and equinoxes. First of May as well.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    hmmmm, will have to try next full moon!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • runbitchrunrunbitchrun
    My DH and I continue the tradition from this bar in NY. We put up a wishbone when he leaves for deployment and when he gets home, we break it.

McSorley's Old Ale House, generally known as McSorley's, is the oldest "Irish" tavern in New York City.[1] Located at 15 East 7th Street in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, it was one of the last of the "Men Only" pubs, only admitting women after legally being forced to do so in 1970.[2][3]

The aged artwork, newspaper articles covering the walls, sawdust floors, and the Irish waiters and bartenders give McSorley's an atmosphere that many consider, correctly or not, reminiscent of "Olde New York." No piece of memorabilia has been removed from the walls since 1910, and there are many items of "historical" paraphernalia in the bar, such as Houdini's handcuffs, which are connected to the bar rail. There are also wishbones hanging above the bar; supposedly they were hung there by boys going off to World War I, to be removed when they returned, so the wishbones that are left are from those that never returned.[4]
    @runbitchrun I tie a little piece of twine on Dw's ring finger, she wont take it off, I have to untie it when I get home. She also wont delete my voicemails or throw any of the letters I sent her till I get home.
  • TVmommyTVmommy
    If things start disappearing or being moved around in my house I put out a plate of candy or pastries and it usually stops within a day or two. I do the salt over the shoulder when I spill. I buy a new mop and broom every time I move. I leave a libation every major Holy day of the Gaelic calendar.
    Darling, a true lady takes off her dignity with her clothes and does her whorish best! At other times you can be as modest and dignified as your persona requires.
  • MistressHeidiMistressHeidi
    I love hearing about superstitions. I won't walk on graves at all, if I can't help it for some reason I won't walk across the head. I throw salt over my shoulder if I spill it. I knock on wood a lot. (I have no idea why the knocking on wood thing is even a superstition, my grandma did it, so now I do it.) On new years eve I have to have both doors open at midnight (If I don't have a front and back door, then I do the front door and a back window) to let the old year out and the new year in. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.
  • French_momFrench_mom
    A Rocking chair can't rock without someone sitting on it. Dunno why, but my dad  drilled that into my head since i was young. Used to just push the chair, drived him nuts. Now, i can't stand if someone does that. Go figure
    It is for me to know and you to dot dot dot.
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    I knock on wood, a lot, too.

When I spill salt it goes over my shoulder.

If my nose itches I'll eithe kiss a fool or get into a fight.

When your ear itches someone is talking about you.
    If we're driving through a yellow light I kind blow a kiss to the sky that w get through ok and aren't slow enough to get nailed by a red light camera.

When we got married DH refuse to even see the catalog pic of my dress. We did not see each other after the rehearsal dinner and I had the something old, new, borrowed, blue (no sixpence though). And we ate the top of our cake on our anniversary...talk about nasty tasting. LOL

Friday the 13th is actually a lucky day in our books. We started dating on a Friday the 13th.

It's not superstition per se, but if I can't daydream about upcoming plans or an event I know that it probably won't unfold the way we planned or won't happen at all. Total bummer when it's fun plans I can't daydream about.
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    I do the salt over my left shoulder when i spill it or toss extra out of the palm of my hand. I knock on wood.. I dont speak of the dead. I count everything in three if its not divisable by three i wont touch it. I have alot of issues with the number three.. My boyfriend wont cross a black cats path or sign his name in red.. Night before hunting season he eats steak/heart of the deer of the previous year..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    oh, yeah, the black cat thing...we had one cross the road on the way to my uncle's funeral, my granddad was driving and we went about 20 miles out of our way to keep from going where that damn cat crossed!
    Bite me, cupcake!
    @BellaBefana I was raised in a house hold that was the opposite, black cats were good luck, same thing with ravens and crows. Two ravens, Huggin and Munnin, belonged to Odin and meant he was protecting you. Black cats were good luck because you never saw them unles they wanted you to see them.
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    I grew up the same @foulmouthedsailor so i have agreed no indoor black cats... As for ravens and crows i feel that they being good news.. I always see them when something good happens...
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Ok some different superstions.

Never whistle in a theater, a real one that is, lol. Like Broadway or other stage show. The reason is because the original scenery was raised and lowered by ropes and they hired sailors to run them. Not Navy all the time just sailors. Well sometimes they would get drunk and if they heard a whistle they might forget where they are and start pulling random ropes. Then you wouldn't know what piece of senery would come down on your head !

There is a play by Shakespeare that we at theater people do not say the name of. Every production well almost every time it has been done there have been problems. Lights falling , fire , it just has bad juju. We just call it the Scotish play. Lol.

Never say "Good Luck" say
    " break a leg "

Never work with children or live animals ! It is a pain ! Lol.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    O.K., now I'm curious...the Scottish play...are we talking the one that starts with a ham and ends with a let?

I know the break a leg one, but I didn't know about the whistling...that's interesting.

Oh and this one, though it obviously doesn't work, but I got some VooDoo Love perfume in NOLA, I forget the very famous woman for whom it was originally made, but the legend is that if you dab it behind your right ear, the man who smells it will fall madly in love with you...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    There's also an Inuit legend about ravens/crows as well as many SW Native Am ones, but I don't recall any of them being very good...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • LilbitLilbit
    I dont necessarily follow any of these but my mother who grew up in Egypt swears by the following:
    *no crying in the bathroom, it invites bad spirits
    *don't repeatedly open and close a pair of scissors when you aren't cutting anything
    *always cross yourself when you pass a cemetery
    *if your left palm itches you are coming into $
    *never suddenly wake up a sleeping person (something about their soul might not return to their body)
    * if your seat is warm after you get up you have a stash of $ somewhere and are a stingy person
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    @BellaBefana
    It starts with a Mc.

On New Years day the first person to visit my grandmother at her house must be a man. Preferably the head of a household. My dad is roped int visiting early on that day. As soon as my brother hit 18 it became his job till he moved out. Now he is the head of his own household, so my dad has to go over now. Black eyed peas and greens must be eaten that day too.
    yea I am geek !!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    that would have been my second guess...that's actually one of my favs, but I'll admit I like the comedies better...

Oh, and I have a MARVELOUS recipe for black eyed peas that actually makes them taste good, if anyone's interested.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • LargeMargeSentMe
    MammaTeeRoll, you have to put your hand in your pocket when your palm itches for the money to come to you!

I like this thread and it makes sense that a sailor started it--I'm married to a former sailor and he knows a lot of superstitions!

I put my hand in my pocket if my palm itches.

I make black-eyed peas and collard greens on New Year's Day and won't wash clothes or take trash out.

I wish on stars and pennies in fountains.

I won't put a hat on the bed.

I don't think I do any others. I had a black cat when I was growing up and he was a horrible, wild, wandering pet because he was not neutered (it was the 80's, before the big campaigns to fix your pets, and my dad was weird about it) but that has nothing to do with his fur and I don't think he was bad luck.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I always heard it was bad luck for a black cat to cross your path unless it was your cat. Owning a black cat was good luck. I have been told that in England it is white cats that are bad luck. Any English or British SMs out there to tell me if I'm right ?

I like the play too, just not to be in or involved in it. Lol. I prefer musicals to work on. I miss working in the theater , had to stop when I " grew up". Not many paying jobs in that field here in town
    yea I am geek !!
  • OtakuHimeOtakuHime
    I like animals to much to freak over a black cat, I've had a few as family pets.
    I don't walk under ladders.
    I throw salt over my shoulder if it spills.
    I cringe every time I drop my hand mirror, because I hope it doesn't break, although I don't really believe in the break a mirror 7 years bad luck.
    I think that's it.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @LargeMargeSentMe:  I don't put hats on the bed either, and my Cowboy hats are brim up,  not down, but I can't for the life of me remember WHY...

as for the itchy palms, I looked that one up because nobody could remember which hand was which...what I read was left money's going out, scratch the hell out of it to stop...right money's coming in so just let it itch...I'll have to try putting them in my pockets and see if that makes a difference!!!
    Bite me, cupcake!
    Some Navy and Marine ones.

If you're near a tank or any other armored vehicle you don't say the word, or eat anything with Apricots in it, or a trackers will beat you to death. Its really bad luck, period.

You don't whistle on a ship, for one, some one might mistake it for the boatswains whistles they use before announcements, two, it was a challenge to a the sea gods back in the day.

You don't carry a blood patch or a death letter with you into combat. A blood patch is anything with your blood type on it, if you wear it(which I do, because things to that cause bad luck to most people cause me good luck). Death letters should be written before the deployment, never during it.

In an Mre, they have Charms candy, its basically a low cost life saver candy. It should be avoided at all cost. If you get in a meal, you don't touch it with bare hands, we always through them into the river near out Fob, or you bury them. You never ever bring them on patrol or eat them, ever ever ever. A few of the guys who got gravely injured touched Charms the day before they got fucked up, so I'm a big believer in this one.

Also from the Mre, if you're married, or in a longterm serious relationship you don't eat the green gum out the packets. It will cause a break up (I think this ones bullshit, I ate that gum every time I had it, fuck the desert heat I wasn't going to have dry mouth for 6 hours on patrol).  
  • LilbitLilbit
    @foulmouthedsailor do you kno where the apricot thing comes from or why?
    @Lilbit from what I know it started in Vietnam, Marine tankers and trackers(Amphibious tracked landing vehicles) who had eaten or had apricots on board from the c-rations were killed or injured. Because so many of them ended up dead or wounded, they started tossing their apricots away like I toss Charms away, they don't even want it said near them.
  • littlebitz
    Superstitions from my family~don't run out of salt in your kitchen or you'll run out of money. Eat 12 grapes at midnight on New Year's. Pregnant women should not go outside during a lunar eclipse or baby will be deformed. Wear a set of keys on you to avoid this. Don't let people admire or stare at your child too much or they could curse it. Tie a red string around baby's wrist to protect it. Owls seen in the daytime predict death.
    Do the MRE superstitions pertain to military personnel only? DH gets to "enjoy" them on trips sometimes...he's a civilian contractor for the military....and he's superstitious (he might say he's not, but he's full of beans...)

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
    @CallieFlower82 I dunno, contractors have their own voodoo rituals, we had radio interceptors and they wouldn't wash the day before their shift, ever.
    I'll pass that along to him. He'll have fun making up crazy shit to tell the others.

• MouseMouse
    Never open an umbrella inside the house, and never step on a crack (on the side walk) for fear of breaking your mothers back.
    Don't outsmart your common scense
  • Not_hisAnymoreNot_hisAnymore
    I look in broken mirrors, I live for Friday the 13th, I step on cracks and even *gasp* open umbrellas indoors. I can't break my habit of saying "knock on wood" or tossing salt over my left shoulder after spilling it.
  • MrsPMrsP
    I always toss salt over my shoulder if spilled, I freak if one of my kids open an umbrella inside and my heart flutters when I see a black cat. My grandmother used to tell me to not look at a crow when you hear it make that God awful screech. I wish upon dried wish bones.
    "Women are like bags of tea. You never know how strong they are until they're in hot water."
  • BallewzerBallewzer
    As former marines n Italian/Greek heritage we have lots of superstitions in my house

I always wear my evil eye bracelet
    I throw salt over my shoulder if I spill it
    If i drop a fork that means company is coming
    A ring around the moon mean trouble
    I always knock on wood
    We never ever walk under ladders or open an umbrella in the house
    Never walk on a grave
    Everything I do has to be odd numbers
    There's salt on all my windowsills n under the kiddos beds and a horseshoe on both doors to outside
    Both kiddos still wear a red string around their wrist they're 5 & 1 1/2
    There's many more I just can't think

@foulmouthedsailor dh won't let apricots in the house and he's been out of the usmc for more than 2 years lol
  • lifeisgood
    Among many mentioned here...I NEVER place shoes on a table. New or not...aside from it being gross...lol. My grandmother would smack them shoes to the floor if we did it as kids with the warning its just BAD luck.
  • BallewzerBallewzer
    @lifeisgood no shoes on the table here either totally forgot about that one lol
  • lifeisgood
    Lol...I'm not even sure what I'm afraid will happen....but I am NOT risking it!!